Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2007 Cayman (non-PASM) with 19" wheels and Continental Contact 3 tires. On the roads around here, the ride is pretty hard. Any other 19" tires that perform decently, but give a better ride?

- Phil

·
Registered
621 Posts
From my experience, the Conti3s you have are close to as good as it gets, in terms of ride. Wear also affects ride - for the worse. Mich PS2s are probably as good as it gets, but I don't think you'll notice much difference compared to full-tread Conti3s. Tire pressure also has a big effect, so I'd check it. Beyond that, assuming stock springs - All Caymans ride like the sports cars they are.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The door jam placard says 32 front and 37 rear. I just got the car less than a month ago and had the dealer check and they said they set the tire pressures, but decided to check tonight anyway. I have one very good gauge that read 35/40, and a digital and another dial gauge that both read 33.5 and 38.5. I took out 1.5 lbs. of air front and rear. I would not expect that do much at all, but any improvement will be welcome.

- Phil

·
Registered
570 Posts
Highly recommend the Hankook V12 EVO's. I have a set on my car and really like them. The ride is lot better than the PS2's they replaced. Grip is excellent too. Oh, and they're nearly 1/2 the price :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mistake, my tires are not Continental Contact 3s, they are Contact 2s. Would like a more compliant ride than these offer. I see lots of mixed opinion on what tires ride better. TireRack gives the Bridgestone RE-11 very high marks for ride but some people say otherwise. I can't put much stock in ride comparisons between a worn tire and new tire, since the new tire is liable to ride better with more squishy rubber tread blocks absorbing some of the impact.

- Phil

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just moved up to 19's (235 & 275) in the Hankooks from 18's in SportContact2's.

My ride is better with the 19's than it was with the worn 18's. Just drove 300 miles yesterday, and aside from a lot of noise on the old rough pavement (I imagine all tires would be loud), they're quieter overall than the 18's and handle well. A good choice for the money.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that really surprises me. I did not think it possible that ANY 19" performance tire could ride as well, much less better, than even the worst riding 18". Perhaps part of this was because the 18s were worn and the 19s, with squishy tread blocks, were new?

- Phil

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
tire rack had some decent test results with the new continental extreme contact DW. They scored the best for ride comfort and only slightly behind the pilot sports for performance. That combinded with the excellent treadwear rating (I think it was 340) and they are about 1/3 less $$$ than the pilot sports spells winner in my book... Though I am using strictly for street use... oh yeah, they are also very light weight, 21lbs front 27rear (if I remember correctly from tirerack) which is a good 2-3bls lighter than some of the others available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.