Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bunch of questions about the 19' Turbo wheels, specifically the replicas. I'm giving some serious thought about getting a set within maybe a year or so (depending on my mod budget). So here are my questions.

1. I've thought about the 18' replica wheels but I saw them in another thread and people were saying that they may look a bit small with the Turbo design. Opinions?

2. I will most likely end up tracking the car from time to time (DEs, autocross, but probably not racing). Are the replica wheels reliable for track use? I had read somewhere that they could be problematic on the track (breaking, causing damage to the car, etc.) Is there any truth to this, and how big of deal is it?

3. Currently, I have the 17' stock wheels on my Cayman. How much rougher is the ride with 19' inch wheels? Is it noticeably that harder when compared to the 17's?

4. Cost may turn out to be an issue (not sure I want to drop 4-5 thousand on wheels just yet) so I'm contemplating the replicas over factory wheels. Some have suggested not to get replica wheels and go with the real deal instead. Others have claimed that the replica wheels will do just fine. How great is the difference in quality/reliability between replica and factory?

5. 19' tires are not as readily available as 17' tires and thus will be more expensive. Would this be a reason to possibly forego getting new wheels entirely? Just how much more expensive are 19' compared to 17' (double or more perhaps)?

6. I've never switched out wheels on a car before. I would imagine there are specific wheels and possibly spacers I would need to consider before purchasing a set (apart from being 19'). What would I need to be on the lookout for as far as this goes? The car is an 09 base Cayman (PDK if that matters).

I *think* thats all the questions I had for now (if I think of any others I will edit my post). If anyone has any suggestions or good experiences with various aftermarket wheel companies please feel free to share your thoughts. Finally, if this post turns out being a redundant thread thats been beaten to death I apologise. I did a search and wasn't able to find all the answers I was looking for with what turned up.
:burnout:

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
You ask a lot of questions, some of which are difficult to answer, for example the reliability of replica vs. stock wheels. I have a suggestion for you: try calling one of the guys at WheelEnhancement.com (sponsor) - they sell new, used OEM take-offs, and replicas in most Porsche styles. I have found them to be very helpful in the past (bought a set of Cayman S replicas from them), and I think they could help you with your questions and choice.

By the way, looking at Tire Rack, a set of OEM 19" tires is close to double the cost of a set of 17" tires for the Cayman.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I just bought 18' 997 turbo wheels for my new winter tires. I'll post some photos when they are mounted. I was a little worried about the look of 18' turbo wheels... we'll see. In any case, they'll do for the winter. ;)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Here is a photo of the 18' turbo wheels for my winter tires. They look a little small, but they'll do for my winter wheels. I run michelin alpine sport on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts