Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, just checking in from Tucson, AZ with my new (to me) 2011 Cayman S in Guards Red. It is the 1st Porsche I've owned and 2nd European car (says a lot from a habitual pick up truck driver whose last hobby car was a 72' Buick GS lol). Anyways, I have been lurking the forums during the 'research phase' of the purchase, and am happy to finally be able to contribute. So far, it has been a blast to drive, and I have had several run ins with other friendly Porsche fans. Seems like a great community of enthusiasts. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I looked at a lot of cars and this one checked all the boxes. First long distance purchase as well. Has 'only' 67k miles and runs like a top so far. Worst issues are a poorly touched up spot on the rear bumper from a fight with the previous owners garage door, some good chips, and a nice gouge under the lip of the front bumper from a screw sticking up on the shippers enclosed trailer ramp! Grrrrrrrr. Settled on a sizeable chunk of cash from the shipper, but still a PITA!

The gouge and rear bumper are getting fixed. The body shop wants to respray each bumper cover to make it perfect, but at obviously more expense. Debating on whether the do just the repair and 'touch up' the front cover since it is in a more inconspicuous spot, but the urge to have an immaculate bumper is strong! Also debating on whether or not to have them go ahead and spray the hood too to fix a decent little chip farm there. Suck because I know the Tucson roads will only lead to more chipping unless a clear bra is installed.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nice car!
Make the car as nice as you want with touch ups.

Bumpers, hood and windscreen will pick up some nicks and scratches from time to time so don't sweat it too much if you do pick up a few.

Enjoy in good health!
:drivingskid:

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Well, you picked a really good model for your first Porsche.
I'll second that. Nice job finding a 987.2, you did your research well, no IMS to worry about. And Guards Red instead of the usual gray/black/white, looks great!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha I am a rabid researcher lol, and my decision tree is often full of switches, double backs, and abrupt course changes. I originally wanted an E46 M3, then C6 Corvette, then E92 M3, then 996, then 997, and the lost goes on... Yet after months of research, it was the 987.2 that had the most plusses and least cons for my budget. It has to be one of the, if not the best bang for buck sports cars out there, in addition to being a 'safe buy' (no rod bearing issues (E92), IMS or bore scoring (previous gen Porsches), and a much better semi-auto transmission than the E46's SMG).

This car checked almost every box: PDK, paddle shift wheel, Guards Red, Chrono, upgraded Porsche wheels, Bi-Xenon, S engine, adjustable seats... I am glad I waited for it! Only things I could really ask for in addition would be PASM and the adjustable bolster seats.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have a pretty much fully loaded 987.2, with the only option not on it I thought I would miss being PASM. Somewhat by chance I also had a 997.2 with PASM in the garage for four years at the same time as 987.2 without PASM. Bottom line: 997.2/987.2 cars without PASM are just as fun and capable as those with the option. I never found myself wanting it in the Cayman after driving the 911 that had it.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,804 Posts
Enjoy driving your new car in good health, and welcome to the wonderful world of Porsche!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Nice car and in particular the Guard's Red.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! Good to know about the PASM. I thought I had read that it was softer than stock turned off, which I had hoped would help with the absolutely atrocious Tucson roads. The roads are so bad here, I sold the factory 20s on my F250 and threw Method 18" Bronze wheels on it to get more sidewall to soak up the bumps. I have half a mind to take off my 19s on the Cayman and keep a nice set of Goodyear's on them for the odd track day or event, and then put a set of (bronze) 18s with a more 'affordable' tire set on for Tucson driving...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congratulations on the GR 987 from a fellow GR 987 owner (987.1 in my case).
I understand your frustration with bad roads, but I must assure you that Tucson streets are not bad compared to many other areas of the US including the roads in eastern WA where I now reside. I’d love to have your roads up here.

I’ve always wanted to put on 18” wheels in lieu of the 19” mine came with but it fights with my sensibility of keeping my car factory stock.

If you haven’t yet, consider joining the local PCA club there. I might see you when I’m down there again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on a great car and welcome to Porsche! You’ll never leave!

Just went through it all too (M3? 996/7? New 5.0 stang? Z06?) and decided it must be a Cayman. I searched the internet for months almost booking multiple out-of-state trips and eventually found a real *diamond* of a Cayman just 7 miles from my house!

Mine has a few chips and a small scrape, but since I took it out on a track for the first time I’ve decided it’s best to save money for tires and pads ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought I was the only one who was all over the place like that and finally migrating toward the CS. I have a BMW Z3 2.3. It is a fun little car, but falls short in many ways and I am craving more power and better handling. I originally wanted to go fairly conservative with a '06-'08 Z4 Coupe, then went to Z4M Coupe, and then decided if I was spending that much I may as well go with a Cayman S. I'd like to find a white one. I think it would look great with some lobster claws Cerakoted Burnt Bronze, and my curing oven is big enough to do wheels ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely get the Porsche! I considered a Z4 as well... I think the Cayman just checks all the boxes, and will hold value better as well. I never drove the Z4 but the reviews pointed to a less balanced feel and more digital driving experience than the Cayman...

I also love bronze wheels, especially on red vehicles, evidence by my truck! Really want some on the Cayman too! I am considering painting, dipping or coating my current wheels but that seems a bit sacreligious to do to a set of factory wheels...

Attachments

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,804 Posts
Looking good! She be shinin'!
As for the bronze 18" diameter wheels, you might consider OZ Allegerrita wheels. They're available in factory widths and offsets to precisely fit your Cayman.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts