Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... last week the water pump failed. Yesterday Im at a stop light and notice white smoke in front of the car. I assume its the car in front of me and hit the recirculate air button. This automatically kicks in the air condition and then large bellows of white smoke floods out of the right front radiator. Took it to the dealer and am now waiting for their call. I am starting to get a little diappointed with my three month old 997.2.

P.S. I also have a loud rattle from the right front dash on rough roads.

Unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems. Certainly is frustrating. Let us know what the dealer comes up with. Doesn't sound like anything I've come across for the 997.2 on other sites. Seems the QC may be uneven w/ the 997.2s. Some already have several thousand miles w/o problems, others have had PDK replaced, bad fuel pumps, and software issues. As far as my experience, after 1500mi the oil level still reads full and the soot on the tail pipes has been minimal. PDK balks a little from a stop light and I've had one engine cutoff going down a hill. I have one rattle under the passenger seat that disappears when there is a passenger sitting in the seat. Otherwise no problems. This is after about 6 weeks of driving and going past 4K regularly once I reached 1M miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry about your issues. Just turned 6000 miles on mine without problems. Had the oil changed at 4500 and the oil still registers full. Hope it's just a couple of correctable glitches with yours and you can get on with enjoying the ride!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 1st the water pump and now this....part 2

Just got a call from the service manager. He says its the air conditioner condenser... says that it is damaged from a "rock" and that it is a non warranty repair. Costs: $1,400.00.

I did not run over anything and I did not feel or hear any "rock" hit the car. Does this sound odd to anyone else? Is the condenser exposed so that any road hazard might actually cause this damage? Could the failure be related to the bad water pump?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts

The condensor is part of the two coolings units and is exposed to road debris since it is in front of the radiator. Replacement requires removal of the front bumper to access the units. This photo show a cutaway with one of the radiators/AC condensors in the foreground.

This link has more info regarding rocks and AC condensors

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-competition/12086-c-dead-after-de.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looking to avoid this problem in the future and found front grill inserts for the 997 here:

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf_id=P915118&dept_id=4054

Unfortunately, these are for the 2008 911. They are calling Car Graphics in Germany tomorrow to see if they have them available for the 2009 911. Does anyone have these installed on their vehicle? How is the fit and quality? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Jesse - no mechanical problems on my 06 - 997 but the in-dash rattle is making me nuts! Mine is on the drivers side deep in the dash. A tapping / loose sound that comes when crossing seams or tar strips or bumpy patches. Dealer covered instrument cluster with a material schroud but no change. Interested to know if they locate / fix your rattle.
hang tough!
ga:crazy:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Jesse - no mechanical problems on my 06 - 997 but the in-dash rattle is making me nuts! Mine is on the drivers side deep in the dash. A tapping / loose sound that comes when crossing seams or tar strips or bumpy patches. Dealer covered instrument cluster with a material schroud but no change. Interested to know if they locate / fix your rattle.
hang tough!
ga:crazy:
That is exactly what I have. They tightened some screw and the problem went almost completely away.... two weeks later its BACK!!! Ugh!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too had to have the water pump replaced in about 5000 km on my 09 CS. I detected a faint failed bearing sound coming from the engine compartment. I took it straight to the dealer who confirmed a failed (must have been defective) bearing in the water pump.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I found that by adjusting the passegers "backward" an additional 30 degrees....the rattle goes away.

·
Registered
142 Posts

The dealer might not be the only source for this item. I'd look around before bending over.

Sorry to hear about bad luck, best of luck in the future.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Rockauto has condensers from $103 to $262 I looked at 2006 Cayman, but others will be similar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts