Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Sprint Booster in my 2.7 Caymen yesterday. The process is fairly simple, remove one torx screw holding down the gas pedal, remove the cable, snap the Sprint Booster in and reconnect the cable. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to release the cable from the pedal and after an hour of trying I headed to my local VW repair shop. It took two different mechanics to figure out how to release the cable, but they were nice enough not to charge me once they figured it out. It only took a few more minutes to reconnect everything and dress the control cable. I put mine deep under the dash, out of sight, but still accessible with my hand.

Result? As advertised the result is immediate and substantial. The 2.7 motor is far more aggressive, pulls harder, sounds louder. The car feels more responsive in the low-end, and there is no delay when you hit the gas. There are three modes: factory, sport, race. So far I like race + Porsche sport mode/sport exhaust-on.

Porsche really dumbs down the 2.7 Cayman... the Sprint Booster brings the engine to life. Cheap mod too, $289.00.

As always, your mileage may vary. Hoping other 2.7 owners try this mod and report back, curious to hear feedback.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What in the world is a Sprint Booster?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Because in my 981S the Sports-Plus-Function does not exist, I have re-installed a Sprint Booster in my 981S with manual transmission.
In my 986er I was absolutely delighted with this fun-bringer.

Who does not know: The Sprint Booster is a small additional control device, which is easily placed between the accelerator pedal and accelerator pedal connector.
It only changes the accelerator response in two different settings and therefore of course also does not bring more power or more torque

... but, the bottom line is: It feels so, and that brings the fun! : D

I do not want to start any discussion about kindle sense or nonsense of this device here. ;)

There are three button positions:

OFF: original characteristic or original sports characteristic (perfect for city driving)

GREEN: slight change in the accelerator pedal characteristic curve (perfect for the road)

RED: strong change in the accelerator pedal characteristic curve (perfect for highway driving - not to stop and go city traffic or to use)

In combination with the original sport button, this results in six different driving modes!

It makes driving more fun and is more remarkable than, say, the 15more hp in GTS.

Ralph

·
Registered
200 Posts
Its just a device that remaps the pedal vs throttle. Basically you would be at 100% throttle at 50% of the gas pedal travel...it only saves you the time it takes to press the pedal down.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a few days of using the Sprint Booster I cannot imagine ever using the stock settings again. My Cayman feels so much more responsive and faster now.

·
Registered
632 Posts
on the manufacturer's website, it only shows that device works on a 2.7 Cayman. This should also work on a 2.7 981 Boxster as well right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed a Sprint Booster in my 2.7 Caymen yesterday. The process is fairly simple, remove one torx screw holding down the gas pedal, remove the cable, snap the Sprint Booster in and reconnect the cable. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to release the cable from the pedal and after an hour of trying I headed to my local VW repair shop. It took two different mechanics to figure out how to release the cable, but they were nice enough not to charge me once they figured it out. It only took a few more minutes to reconnect everything and dress the control cable. I put mine deep under the dash, out of sight, but still accessible with my hand.

Result? As advertised the result is immediate and substantial. The 2.7 motor is far more aggressive, pulls harder, sounds louder. The car feels more responsive in the low-end, and there is no delay when you hit the gas. There are three modes: factory, sport, race. So far I like race + Porsche sport mode/sport exhaust-on.

Porsche really dumbs down the 2.7 Cayman... the Sprint Booster brings the engine to life. Cheap mod too, $289.00.

As always, your mileage may vary. Hoping other 2.7 owners try this mod and report back, curious to hear feedback.

Which part number did you use?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here in Germany the sprint booster for the 981 and the 991 is only available in two variants:

1) For vehicles with PDK
2) For vehicles with manual transmission

The accelerator-pedal for the 991S, 981s and 981s Boxster Caymnan is the same component and therefore also the same Sprint Booster works for these models.

I have installed the 991 version and it works well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have any advice/pictures describing how the cable should be released from the pedal? Is there any particular trick to do this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I own a 2.7 Boxster and have just installed a Sprint Booster. I have to concur with those who love them!

Late yesterday afternoon, the sun poked through the clouds and the temperature crept into the 60s, so I decided to take the Boxster out on a top down test run along my favorite loop which literally takes me to Hell (Michign) and back.

I had a short stint on a freeway, where I kicked it into "red"mode. It made the car seem so eager to accelerate when I needed to pass other cars. When I left the freeway, I pushed the button into "green" mode and toggled between green and standard.

When it was turned off, the car felt fun but less dramatic. The Sprint Booster made driving seem much more exciting and urgent as I blasted down those country roads. At one point, I found myself behind a bicyclist and disengaged the device altogether. I loved feeling like I could change the behavior of the accelerator to match conditions on the street.

I know the car isn't really faster, but it feels faster. The Sprint Booster makes a great car even better.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I had mine on when I was under factory warranty and the dealer never had a problem with it. In all likelyhood, they probably never even noticed it was there. I sure wouldn't worry about it.:cheers:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had mine on when I was under factory warranty and the dealer never had a problem with it. In all likelyhood, they probably never even noticed it was there. I sure wouldn't worry about it.:cheers:
Just remember to set it back to "standard" (no boost) when you visit the dealer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts