Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen posts here and there regarding the Softronic flash (current promotion) for the 2.7, but thought I'd start a specific thread.

I'm leaning towards purchasing this by month end, but have the following questions I was hoping those with the flash could respond to. I'm happy with the 2.7's power and fuel economy, and currently have no engine mods.

1. The 2.7 isn't Honda smooth at idle. I don't consider this a bad thing, but does the flash smooth out the idle and neutral revs?

2. I'm planning on having the sports chrono mode enabled. Is there a downside to this option?

3. With the hard redline enabled, is this change noticeable?

4. With the higher PSM threshold, how much play does the rear-end allow before PSM kicks in? I'd say right now there's maybe a half second on a tight turn. Is the difference noticable? Is the threshold too high?

5. Do you notice the power increase?

Lastly, are you glad you made this purchase? Do you think it's worth the price paid? Is there anything else you like or dislike about this purchase?

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Honestly, I had the Softronic update alone on my 2007 Cayman S done first and did not notice a difference. Sure your car may "feel" faster, but a little throttle remapping can make the car feel faster, even though hardly any extra power is gained.

Regarding the hard redline, I can't comment on that since mine was a Tiptronic and the rev limiter was not changed. Manual cars should have this ability.

I even moved up to the Softronic Race Plenum and still the same... I also did not notice any change in the PSM kicking in later. I asked for the sport chrono to be enabled all the time, yet still no difference.

Don't look at the quoted HP gains from the Softronic website... the 20-30HP from only an ECU reflash will never be seen in reality on a NA Porsche car... Cars with Turbos are another story, but NEVER on a NA car like the one you have.

I would only go the Softronic route if you plan on upgrading the exhaust and everything else on the back end too, otherwise save your money. Look at Dynos and you will see that many people who claim an increase in power never had a baseline run performed... those that did were mostly getting results that were within the margin of error.

I moved up to a 997.2 C2S with PDK and Sport Chrono Plus... but still love this forum and everything that goes along with it. Just don't get your hopes up with a simple ECU tuning alone.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Boober is not wrong. Please see the dyno forum. I have done quite extensive testing of various upgrades and have shown real 10% gains with few thousands spent.

Since you bought the 2.7 and not the 3.4, I have to conclude that power was not a priority. Priorities change, I know. Your best options are: turbos or changing to a new car.

Exhaust and software are fun, but not substantial.

Tomasz

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm perfectly happy with the 2.7 power, and wouldn't be buying the flash just for the power increase.

I'm looking to read comments from those with the 2.7 and Softronic flash to gain a general feel on what you get from the flash (not just HP) for the price.

For example, I had a Power Commander for my TL1000S, which significantly increased driveability and cruising around at low RPM's. The difference was night/day.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
76 Posts
You won't see a "night and day" difference in my opinion. My impressions are that the low end seems to be much smoother, more responsive and feels quicker off of the line. I attribute that to Sport Mode. The smoothness and responsiveness on the low end is important to me and as my Boxster is a daily driver with most of my driving is between 2K and 4.5K rpm, right where this mod seems to be focused.

For me, the Winter Special made it worth it. Subtract out the cost of Durametric and the mod is $429. For Sport Mode and the smoothness in the low range I believe it is worth this price. However, add 20% back on and I would have to think about it again.

Then add Durametric for $287. For this, I like the ability to understand my car better and to see what the fault codes are, if I ever have them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the SRP/flash on my 2.7.

My initial impression is that the car does seem to have midrange torque; it does seem to pull harder in the 3.5-6K range. I did not get a dyno prior to this so I have no proof to back it up.

I have ordered an exhaust & plan to install it in conjunction with these other mods soon.

My current flash does NOT have the sport mode turned on. (At the time I sent the request for the flash, I was not aware you could get this feature turned on, even if the car did NOT come with SC from the factory.) so I cannot comment on that (yet :) )

I have since emailed & called Softronic about having a new flash with SC enabled, but have not heard back from them yet.

I did not notice a change in the idle, it seemed pretty solid both before & after.

I will be fully prepared to review this mod once I get the exhaust installed (which was always the plan from the beginning.)

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Owen Birch

I have a 2007 2.7 with sport Chrono package and I can tell you it feels like night and day when the sport mode is off ,my car is a lot quicker off the start and I can spin the tires realy with the sport mode on and not so much with it off. I have tested this :)
I have a SRP with the 4.1 High Flow Flash and a Remus Exhaust and as stated above the sport chrono package (Factory)
My car feels faster and the motor does run smoother with the complete package but after a year my appetite has grown for something more .

or just be patient for another month and there will be a 2.7 liter TPC Turbo we can evaluate .

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the 2.7 power, and wouldn't be buying the flash just for the power increase.

I'm looking to read comments from those with the 2.7 and Softronic flash to gain a general feel on what you get from the flash (not just HP) for the price.

For example, I had a Power Commander for my TL1000S, which significantly increased driveability and cruising around at low RPM's. The difference was night/day.
That changes everything. Softronic does somehow improve upon Porsche programming. Its smoother and I like SC permanently on.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Tomasz

Yes I agree the sport chrono makes such a huge difference but lately for the first time I have been turning it off as in the wet rainy roads we have had lately the extra tourque has caused me to spin sideways a few times . just goes to show you there is a Big difference in low end torque in regards to the sport chrono feature:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
So do I understand it correctly that if we have 2.7 without Sport Chrono the Softronic Flash can be made to turn it on even if we never had this option to begin with? I plan to order in the next week...what else should I make sure to ask Softronic to include in the flash configuration?

·
Registered
105 Posts
So do I understand it correctly that if we have 2.7 without Sport Chrono the Softronic Flash can be made to turn it on even if we never had this option to begin with? I plan to order in the next week...what else should I make sure to ask Softronic to include in the flash configuration?
That is my understanding.

An interesting note: When I sent the factory flash to Softronic (using their program) , I did not indicate I wanted the Sport mode turned on (as I, like you, didn't know this was an option.) It wasn't until after I loaded the tuned flash & I started reading here that I learned you could do this.

So I contacted Softronic to request if I could get a new flash sent with the sport mode turned on. After checking, I was told it was already turned on in the flash I was sent. :confused: So maybe they turn it on by default, even if you don't request it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
So if you get the sports chrono with the flash is it just always on? Obviously you don't have the sport button in car if you didn't get it with that option originally?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts