Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick comment....with no detailed "analysis" just gut feel.....

I used to have a 2.7 and now have a 3.4 Gen 2. It was easy to tell the difference between the 2.7 cayman and the 3.4 cayman but recently I had a 2.9 boxster and I have to say I was quite impressed with how much of an improvement the 2.9 was over the 2.7.

Just for daily driving etc the 2.9 has heaps of power on demand (ie more than sufficient). The only time I started to really notice a difference was at higher speeds on the autobahn when the pull wasnt as strong as the 3.4.

Was just a quick observation that the 2.9 is what the 2.7 should have been all along.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's perhaps one of the reasons why the 2.9 might be scrapped in a couple of years for a 4-cyl in the base Boxter/Cayman. In the U.S., 2.9 sales have been growing and 3.4's declining, and the 2.9's have now overtaken the 3.4 in sales for the year.
I think a lot of people, including me, have decided not to spend the extra $9-10K on the 3.4 since the 2.9 is so good. Porsche probably feels like it's giving it away.

·
Registered
252 Posts
While the 2.7 may not seem to have the power, it's still a plenty sweet ride and doesn't give up much. Mine has a tendency to want to get over the speed limit pretty darn quick, such that I have to remind myself about the cost of tickets, points against insurance and the fact that you lose your license permanently in my Pennsylvania if you are caught exceeding 100 mph.

:burnout:

·
Registered
549 Posts
While the 2.7 may not seem to have the power, it's still a plenty sweet ride and doesn't give up much. Mine has a tendency to want to get over the speed limit pretty darn quick, such that I have to remind myself about the cost of tickets, points against insurance and the fact that you lose your license permanently in my Pennsylvania if you are caught exceeding 100 mph.

:burnout:
Agree about the 2.7, and, not to hijack this thread, but is that true about Penn? PERMANENT loss of license over 100? Wow.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Sure the authorities are trying to make a point, but nothing should be permanent. Life sentence is roughly 25 years not taking into account parole.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I test drove both 2.9 and 3.4 gen 2. Unfortunately both cars had PDK without sport chrono. I felt both cars lacked low end torque. Was surprised by how similar the performance seemed above 5000rpm and how much harder the 2.9 pulled compared to my 2.7. Felt that, for public roads, the 2.9 had sufficient power and overtaking acceleration. Both cars seemed quieter and softer (suspension wise) than the 2.7.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Agree about the 2.7, and, not to hijack this thread, but is that true about Penn? PERMANENT loss of license over 100? Wow.
Yikes. Hope it doesn't spread to other states. California had a penalty at one time for street racing.....if caught, the car was taken to the crusher.:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts