Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right guys, this whole remap plenum etc....has got me thinking, in all your guys opinions, without a turbo kit, what sort of power do you reckon you can get out of a 2.7ltr with all the mods availible?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Less than there's a point to.

The cost of selling your 2.7 and buying a used 3.4 is so trivial, it totally undercuts a turbo kit, which to my knowledge don't exist for the 2.7 to begin with. And I don't think TPC are really interested in making one. Not to mention they're in the States.

·
Registered
157 Posts
And I don't think TPC are really interested in making one. Not to mention they're in the States.
I think they may have started to now. I was in there talking to Tom about my non-S cayman and they said they had a kit w/ a smaller turbo so it would spool in time for that displacement engine. Though it may be new and your point is very true - how would a 2.7 turbo compare to the 3.4...??? Especially when you take in consideration the stress a turbo engine goes through.

Thx,
Ben

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Most price effective way to tune 2.7 is to trade it in for a 3.4. I have not seen a single 2.7 mod that added power. Intake and exhaust are the same as the 3.4, therefore IMHO already "tuned" or oversized for the 2.7.

I know this is controversial. I had a 2.7 that I modded, and now I have 3.4 that I also modded. For example, when I removed FabSpeed from my 2.7 (to sell it) I felt no difference in power. When I did the same on the 3.4 I immediately felt the difference.

I have also seen some post mod 2.7 dynos. The reason you have seen so few is that people do not want to post them.

Finally, you can argue that the 2.7 is more tuned from the factory - 90 HP per liter versus 86. Following that logic, there is just not much room left in it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Most price effective way to tune 2.7 is to trade it in for a 3.4. I have not seen a single 2.7 mod that added power. Intake and exhaust are the same as the 3.4, therefore IMHO already "tuned" or oversized for the 2.7.

I know this is controversial. I had a 2.7 that I modded, and now I have 3.4 that I also modded. For example, when I removed FabSpeed from my 2.7 (to sell it) I felt no difference in power. When I did the same on the 3.4 I immediately felt the difference.

I have also seen some post mod 2.7 dynos. The reason you have seen so few is that people do not want to post them.

Finally, you can argue that the 2.7 is more tuned from the factory - 90 HP per liter versus 86. Following that logic, there is just not much room left in it.
I have the 2.7 now and agree with your statements 100%. In fact I think I even had a post awhile back making the exact same point, but I got flamed...just a bit though.

Is there more power to be had in the 2.7, yes maybe but it wouldnt be much and most of it would be HP not torque. I promise that if you trade in the car on an "S" you will gain 50HP! Even if you paid retail it would be less than $200 per pony, and less $ than an engine swap.

Ever see the post about why does the 2.7 sound louder than 3.4?

90hp per liter vs 86hp....makes sense too.

Put a free flowing exhaust on a 3.4 and you gain +20 hp

Put a free flowing exhaust on a 2.7 and you gain -5 to +8 hp

And of course YMMV!

BTW I love my 2.7, and love to drive the shitt out of it.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,730 Posts
With SRP, PSE and a de-snork, my 2.7 dynoed at 230 (corrected) rear wheel HP. Assuming 15% drive train losses, that's ~265 crankshaft HP. In other words, a ~20 HP (~8%) gain from the published 245 stock HP. What's missing from this peak HP discussion is the increased mid-range (read: across the board, usable) gains. I have no doubt that there are more cost-effective HP/$ options, such as an engine swap or a turbo conversion, but I challenge you to find me one that also delivers 32 US mpg (highway) while retaining all 4 factory stock exhaust catalysts. You can have the best of both worlds with a 2.7!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have a modded 2.7 liter boxster 2006 model. i have the exact mods my friend with the 3.2 liter 06 model has. we have exactly the same gains in hp from our mods. that is plenum, exhaust. so i dont know whether you are not gaining as much as the 3.4....probably the percentage in gaining is the same as the 3.2 is also stretched as the 3.4. (same compression ratio).

·
Registered
336 Posts
I concur with the sentiment the 2.7 is in a higher state of tune.

The exhaust system is identical on as the 3.4. It's clearly restrictive on the S, but not so on the 2.7. I swapped to an SRP recently, and while I can say there's a difference (for the better) I can't say it's exactly legendary. Perhaps 4.1 software will make it better, but it's not out yet.

Charging the 2.7 is an exercise in futility: You can count the differences between the 2.7 and 3.4 on one hand. It's not like an Impreza WRX and WRX STi, where most of the drive-train is different. When the price distance between 2.7 and 3.4 is so small it's just not worth it. A charger kit is a lot of money, and will then require further mods (clutch, brakes, perhaps suspension). A part-ex for a 3.4 may even leave you with more money than you started.

The only business case I can make for tuning a 2.7 would be an X-51 engine swap in a car with the 6-speed option. Though then again, how likely are you to sell-on a 2nd hand 2.7 motor rather than a 3.4?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yessssss finally ordered my remus exhaust!!! cant wait, get it the first week on august

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
With SRP, PSE and a de-snork, my 2.7 dynoed at 230 (corrected) rear wheel HP. Assuming 15% drive train losses, that's ~265 crankshaft HP. In other words, a ~20 HP (~8%) gain from the published 245 stock HP. What's missing from this peak HP discussion is the increased mid-range (read: across the board, usable) gains. I have no doubt that there are more cost-effective HP/$ options, such as an engine swap or a turbo conversion, but I challenge you to find me one that also delivers 32 US mpg (highway) while retaining all 4 factory stock exhaust catalysts. You can have the best of both worlds with a 2.7!
I am gald you are enjoying your 2.7. I had most fun with mine when I kept up with a GT3, and then the driver asked about my Cayman S. When I told him it was a 2.7, he pretty almost cried.

15% drive train lost is VERY aggressive. Without a baseline dyno, or at least dyno of another Cayman or Cayman S on the same dyno, same day - your numbers are unfortunately just approximate.

I am pretty sure that I just saw a 3.4 engine for $4K. SRP+PSE is darn close to $4K...

Your car would probably trade in for $30K and you could pick up same vintage S for $40K. $10K for more power, warranty, arguably better brakes and transmission when comapred to $4K in exhaust mods no longer looks like a big difference.

On another hand, if you like your car just like it is - no need to spend $10K The thread, and my comments were meant for people like my friend Peter who will easilly have $10K of mods on his 2.7 by the end of this year.

But then modding is more about the trip, less about the destination like SantaFe would remind you.

Do not let passion and your previous choices get in the way of logic...

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
Tomasz

Closer to 15K so far in mods but that includes ,Lowering with H&R springs,19" GT-5 Wheels ,Toyo Proxy tires,some custom paint,SRP,Flash,Remus catback Exhaust,K&N air Filter,tinted windows,CF outside mirror inserts,Radar detector,and my new GT-3 front Bumper (3K for that) .
Future mods include
Gt-2 rear wing
side skirts
Turbo
Then I am going to retire and race the car
I Plan on keeping this car for the rest of my life ,then my kid can have it

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I'm in the 2.7 camp... and ALWAYS think of ways to swap it out for a CS... EXACTLY 3 times a year -- each Trackday I go to. Otherwise, the 2.7 is a true pleasure to drive to-and-from work. And it does deliver 30+ mpg at steady state at 65mph.

On the other hand -- I question just how "easy" it is to sell the 2.7 and buy a "comparable" CS for only a $10K delta. Give the market today, not sure if that really is possible.

And then, I'm back to ... is it worth it for the 3 trackdays a year?? I'm really in a state about this question.

D

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm in the 2.7 camp... and ALWAYS think of ways to swap it out for a CS... EXACTLY 3 times a year -- each Trackday I go to. Otherwise, the 2.7 is a true pleasure to drive to-and-from work. And it does deliver 30+ mpg at steady state at 65mph.

On the other hand -- I question just how "easy" it is to sell the 2.7 and buy a "comparable" CS for only a $10K delta. Give the market today, not sure if that really is possible.

And then, I'm back to ... is it worth it for the 3 trackdays a year?? I'm really in a state about this question.

D
I like how you left out the part about modding the 2.7 to solve your delima...:cheers:

Don't think I am aganst modified 2.7 cars, it just that if someone wants to hang with high HP cars on the track the need for more than 2.7l is obvious. I'm thinking it makes more sense spending $$ on track time vs mods.

You make a good point about the trade in issue, there will be the profit factor to consider on the dealerships part. I say keep the 2.7 until the miles start to rack up, then trade up into an even nicer CS.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
. I say keep the 2.7 until the miles start to rack up, then trade up into an even nicer CS.
The question still boils down to bother with a 3.4 swap -- some seem to think its easy and not much of a problem to get done -- just an extra $8-10K and done. I'm not thinking its that easy. And, thinking... if I still go out and drive for fun (not necessarily to pass everyone) at 2-3 trackdays a year, and still find the 2.7 pretty civilized for routine driving -- why bother?

I know -- I'll sink $5K into a some "shrink" sessions before each trackday and run the same speeds, but feel better about it ! :crazy:

D

·
Registered
336 Posts
The delta is less related to whether or not it's an S and more related to age/mileage/spec.

You can get older 3.4s for much less than slightly fresher 2.7s. When I was scanning the market about 6 months ago, whether or not it was an S only mattered in the first year of the car. After that time, the difference was nominal except on very low mileage cars.

Go to the >50k miles part of the market, and you'll find a car with satnav and 2.7 can be more expensive than one without and 3.4... If you don't mind the very early 06 cars, there's Cayman Ses over here for ~£20k. My 2.7 cost £34k and it was a year old.

Strictly speaking, if you trade-in a fairly fresh, fairly low-mileage 2.7 with a good options list you shouldn't need to spend much at all for a very early, bare 3.4 with miles on the clock. Which is a perfect idea if you want to trade-in a specced-out daily driver for a bare-bones track-day to be modded.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Thanks "Pint of Brew"....
My 2.7 has < 20K miles, and it nicely outfitted, but not excessively so. My question also involved with what the "market" is looking like these days... Maybe I'm really not all that eager to go through the drama of the swap/exchange ... again, just for a three day a year trackday schedule. and I really am not that eager to have a bare bones 3.4 for the other 362 days a year . I'm not all that interested in considering excessive motor mods since I know, for example, the brakes should be upgrades to the CS rotor thickness, etc. And then there is the 5 speed vs 6 speed.
For the numerous non-trackdays that I now totally enjoy my 2.7, I still am having a hard time justifying the drama and expense... ah the problems of Porsche ownership !!
Again, thanks for your thoughts.
D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't fret. I've got the 6-speed box, and it's the only option I wish my car didn't have.

If you look deep in the paperwork of the car, somewhere there's a ratio printout. Compared to the 5-speed, three problems are apparent:

1) 2nd and 3rd are too long. This was probably to worsen 0-62 times. Seriously, 6-speed's 2nd is longer than 5-speed's 2nd. Mine tops out at 74mph. Go check your speed when yours bounces off the rev-limiter.

2) 5th and 6th aren't long enough. Again, probably to artificially restrict V-max. There's barely any difference in RPM when shifting 4-5-6. No joke, my 6th is as long as my old STi's 6th (100mph at 4000RPM) and the STi was notorious for having a short, buzzy, motorway-unfriendly box.

3) If you're in a 2.7, the 5-speed is the box to have. The ratios are sweeter, and the 5's 5th is less than 150rpm (at reasonable cruising speed, that is) than the 6's 6th. I'd even go so far as to suggest a 3.2 Boxster would be a better choice than the 3.4 Boxster, simply because it'll have the older gear ratios which weren't compromized. The only benefit to the 6-speed is you can install an ATB in it, but after quite some driving I honestly don't think there's a point; there's hardly enough power to push it out, driven acurately and smoothly I almost never get tyre-spin and when I do it's minor. It's much, much easier to spin-up in a S.

Seriously, unless you're at a fast track like Thunderhill, or you plan on topping-out at 175mph on the straights, there really isn't a point. This is doubly true when you're just doing track-days rather than racing: You're there for fun, your car needs to be as fast as is enjoyable, not as fast as the next racer +1.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts