Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

How many 2.9 owners?

• Total voters
301 - 320 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Baby's First Wash

Just washed our new-to-us (Jan 2018) 2009 Boxster 2.9 with a PDK. One previous owner, a Dr who used it as a weekend toy, thus only 37k miles. It's my fourth Boxster (all previous were 986 variants). I've also owned a 987.1 Cayman S and a bunch of old 911s (see sig).

I've ordered clear side marker lenses, and I'd like to replace the stupid trigger steering wheel with a sport steering wheel (with proper paddle shifters), but otherwise I plan to keep it stock and just enjoy it. She won't get much driving time the first year, but my wife returns her lease in 2019 when she'll take over my current "daily", and this Boxster will become my "daily". I say "daily" because I work from home, and there are many days when I don't drive anywhere. So I don't expect the miles to pile up anytime soon. But for sure I'm looking forward to more time behind the wheel!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 09 Boxster base in ruby red matallic, 6mt, 32k miles, bi zenon lights, heated seats, upgraded sound system w/siriusxm. I added the IPD 82mm plenum to it and will add a throatier exhaust w/in the next year. I run the stock 17"rims. Love the car. Have had it for a little over a year ago and use it as my daily driver.
How do you like the tb and ipd plenum? Did it really make much of a difference?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello tickter,
The IPD plenum did improve the bottom end of our '07 Cayman.
Flashing the ECU unit also helps.
For me installing headers was a waste of money unless you spend all the time at 6,000 and higher RPM.
(of course installing a DREAM2 to the stock exhaust helps as well)
Jim

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
How many 2.9 owners have had a problem with a broken shift cable? What year car, how many miles?

Trying to decide if its worth installing the Numeric racing cables or the new product advertised by one of our members that offers stronger end connectors (without having to replace the actual cable).

I had a friend break 2 cables on his 2.9, just wonder if its worth attending to now that I have 30k miles on the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
How many 2.9 owners have had a problem with a broken shift cable? What year car, how many miles?

Trying to decide if its worth installing the Numeric racing cables or the new product advertised by one of our members that offers stronger end connectors (without having to replace the actual cable).

I had a friend break 2 cables on his 2.9, just wonder if its worth attending to now that I have 30k miles on the car?
My shifter cable snapped at approx. 30k miles and 9 yrs on the clock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there anybody around NJ that has a more modified cayman they could take me for a ride in? Trying to see if some of these mods are worth it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Markstudy, my shift cables snapped at about 80k miles. Gave no warning when they went, fortunately near my house. Replaced with Numerics. I would recommend the upgrade at around 50k, the design is inherently week and will likely go at some point. Better to avoid being stranded.

In the meantime you might consider looking at how the linkages operate at both sides of the tranny. If needed you could always manually put it into 2nd or 3rd gear just to get you home. Pretty simple to do if you know how the linkages work. IIRC you don’t need to jack it up to access either side.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Thanks Greg, how do you like the feel of the shifter after switching to Numerics? I heard the shifts feel more notchy, does it make any difference to you?

I only ask because there is another product out their that beefs-up the end connectors on the original cable, thus keeping the soft rubbery feel. The selling point is that you don't have to change the cable, just the ends and it cost less to install.

Seems like it still leaves the cable prone to snapping if its a thin cable problem as it only strengthens the 4 connection points, vs the Numeric which I have heard is metal on metal connection and thicker wire cable so leaves you with more of a raw notchy race car feeling shift?

Just trying to decide which way to go???

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
...I only ask because there is another product out their that beefs-up the end connectors on the original cable, thus keeping the soft rubbery feel. The selling point is that you don't have to change the cable, just the ends and it cost less to install.

Seems like it still leaves the cable prone to snapping if its a thin cable problem as it only strengthens the 4 connection points, vs the Numeric which I have heard is metal on metal connection and thicker wire cable so leaves you with more of a raw notchy race car feeling shift?

Just trying to decide which way to go???
I agree. I didn't want to crap on that thread, but that product has no track record (no pun). I really doubt that it would of helped in my case since I don't slam into gears. Mine broke as I was nudging into neutral. While there may be some improvement in the feel at the shifter, Iit is just a hunch that it adds anything to the longevity of the cables. OTOH, Numeric goes right to the heart of the problem - it is a very beefy cable. I wouldn't call the feel notchy, just more precise.

I don't recall the retail price of that solution, but I remember thinking it wasn't much cheaper than Numeric's cables. Also, you basically have to destroy the OEM ends in order to install theirs. So going back to stock is not possible without buying new cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New 2.9 owner here. Just picked up my 09 Cayman 6 speed with 14k miles in January. After driving a few .1 base and S cars, I really think the 2.9 is the best of both worlds, and the most usable fun for the street.

Now I just need to address a few things to get it where I need it - Bilsten B16 coilovers to bring down the ride height just slightly and an AWE or Borla exhaust to give it a little more sound.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do any of you folks still run the stock 17" wheels? I'm debating whether to move up to 18" or not (for better tire choices). I think the skinnier 17" sizes of 205/235 are better suited to street use, but can only find 2 tires available at TireRack with the correct aspect ratio of 205/55/17 and 235/50/17:

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC ($1,054 shipped)
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS2 ($901 shipped)

Is anyone running a different 17" size?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello Alanine,
Yes, we still run 17 inch tires/wheels as they turn in quicker. Michelin "Pilot Sport" 235/50 SR 17" rear and 205/55SR 17' on the front.
I like the tires.
Jim

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do any of you folks still run the stock 17" wheels? I'm debating whether to move up to 18" or not (for better tire choices). I think the skinnier 17" sizes of 205/235 are better suited to street use, but can only find 2 tires available at TireRack with the correct aspect ratio of 205/55/17 and 235/50/17:

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC ($1,054 shipped)
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS2 ($901 shipped)
Is anyone running a different 17" size?
Yes, I do. It's my daily so they're perfect for that. Yes only Tire Rack had those tires, I bought them and have walmart install it. They are fantastic tires and tire rack was a great price so you don;t need more options:) I went with Michelin.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm running the 17"s with the stock size on the rear, and a 205/50 on the front. It really opens up the tire choices and I've had goodyears that sucked and right now Sumitomo HTR ZIII. I got them for $360 installed at my local tire shop so I wanted to give them a try. So far I like them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've spoken with a few tuners about the IPD plenum etc and they all say the same thing: as is both the 2.9 and the 3.4 already pull in as much air as the head geometry will allow. A lot of experienced tuners have logged the MAP sensor at WOT and found that it's at or very near atmospheric pressure, i.e. adding flow capacity doesn't allow the motor to make more power. What typically happens is people add the IPD plenum and GT3 TB in addition to other mods, tune the car, and experience gains. If you were to add an exhaust, tune the car, then add the intake side mods and try to retune the car to make more power, what you'll find is that you can't make any appreciable gains. If you don't believe me call up TPC and ask them how much power the plenum alone will add to a 2.9 or a 3.4.

Or there's a guy I know in Jersey that has a shop that was the first person to tell me about this: https://www.facebook.com/Starting-Line-156925111165962/ call them up and ask for Jhon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sold the Sailboat, Harley Street Glide, 73 L82 Corvette in the last ten years.
New 2010 Boxster Base Pdk owner 37,900 miles picked Gretel up in Ohio in Feburary she fits like a glove and solid-wow!

Thanks to all on forum:
Liftbars, bmc, clear side markers, new cabin filter, and plugs just changed this weekend. Tonight motive bleed brakes and waxed my 17" wheels.
I will change engine oil at the 40k mile mark. Uview Airlift for antifreeze flush-dealer says hold off, 303, Raggtop cleaner, Chemical Guys.
The dealer has to program 1 key with piwis and thats it, doing every thing I can by myself. But I have some great indys that will do the pdk flush for preventive maintenance. My wife and I of course new PCA members and can't wait for road trips.

301 - 320 of 352 Posts