Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

How many 2.9 owners?

321 - 340 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
^^^ Great photo of a great car, enjoy! What are your impressions coming from a 911 ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
^^^ Great photo of a great car, enjoy! What are your impressions coming from a 911 ?
Thanks! I've been 'location hunting' for the last two months

On the plus side the Cayman is certainly more nimble, but it lacks the brute force of the 911. The 911 had outstanding levels of grip, but that lighter front end required some finessing. I figured that I'd never have a chance to use all the power of the 911, but I would have a chance to take advantage of the mid-engined layout of the Cayman.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
+1 on the photo. Excellent composition!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLVRon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Much appreciated!

I guess you were the one who picked up the silver Cayman Base with the acid green calipers. I believe someone in this forum was also looking to buy and went for a test-drive and found that it did not engage gears properly. I guess all issues have been fixed? Congrats and welcome to the 2.9 club!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Small world! I'm nowhere near Philly, so I had a PPI beforehand by a local Porsche mechanic out there. The car has a SSK of unknown origin, and needs a bit of force to get into reverse when cold, but once it warms up it's OK. The PPI also highlighted a power steering pump that needed to be replaced, and I split the cost of that with the selling dealer.

I've had the 60k service done and front motor mount replaced since shipping it to California. My mechanic tells me the compression test came back clean.

So, all good so far. I've put some money into it but it was a pretty good 'off season' deal.
I guess you were the one who picked up the silver Cayman Base with the acid green calipers. I believe someone in this forum was also looking to buy and went for a test-drive and found that it did not engage gears properly. I guess all issues have been fixed? Congrats and welcome to the 2.9 club!

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI new 2011 987.2 owner here. Been looking for quite some time. Found the 2011 Cayman Base, 6SP manual with only 28K miles and one owner, all records. Awesome car and having so much fun. Meteor Grey exterior and all black leather interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Late post, sorry. 2010 Cayman base, 2.9 manual. My cable went out while driving just under 40K miles over a year a go (now 48K). I went OEM replacement rather than said alternatives. I assumed (maybe wrongly?) that a design flaw like that is fixed upon failure replacement by Porsche so as not to re-occur. Maybe more tech member can clarify.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 manual and have only installed the fabspeed dual tips. Considering the softronic tune. Any thoughts? I saw the power package with the bmc filter, tune and exhaust kit for $2710. Worth it for the extra power? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Markstudy, my shift cables snapped at about 80k miles. Gave no warning when they went, fortunately near my house. Replaced with Numerics. I would recommend the upgrade at around 50k, the design is inherently week and will likely go at some point. Better to avoid being stranded.

In the meantime you might consider looking at how the linkages operate at both sides of the tranny. If needed you could always manually put it into 2nd or 3rd gear just to get you home. Pretty simple to do if you know how the linkages work. IIRC you don’t need to jack it up to access either side.

New Cayman here - picked her up couple months ago done so far Bilstein suspension, brake lines and fluid and decals

now reading about this and thinking to get short shifter and new cables

Car has 52k miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up a 2011 Cayman base 2.9 in July of 2018. 3rd owner on it but only 22k miles! Slightly nodded and drives like a dream

Mod list
Clear signal lights ( were added after my track day )
IDP comp plenum
Gt3 throttlebody
Ohlins road and track kit coilovers
Custom camber plates from vorshlag Motorsports
3rd center radiator
COBB tuner
355mm stoptech big brake kit
Short shift from suncoast parts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just picked up a 2011 2.9 this weekend. This thread was very helpful in my search. This will be a street/track toy. My test drive was limited by weather but I got to spend about an hour today ringing it out and, damn is this thing fun to drive! I am a long time racer who just wanted a fun track car and I think I hit the mark.

Mods:
MCS remote reservoir shocks
Tarret front and rear sways with tie rods
Porsche Motorsports LCA’s
Guard pro LSD
Softronics tune
Carnewal exhaust
McMahon bar, seats and harnesses

·
Registered
341 Posts

2009 Base, that is a blue (very dark blue - like the interior) top.. has a few things, modified exhaust, Sprint Booster, Sport and Sport-Plus, advanced audio.

Almost forgot - PDK - wonderful in NJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just picked up a 2011 2.9 this weekend. This thread was very helpful in my search. This will be a street/track toy. My test drive was limited by weather but I got to spend about an hour today ringing it out and, damn is this thing fun to drive! I am a long time racer who just wanted a fun track car and I think I hit the mark.

Mods:
MCS remote reservoir shocks
Tarret front and rear sways with tie rods
Porsche Motorsports LCA’s
Guard pro LSD
Softronics tune
Carnewal exhaust
McMahon bar, seats and harnesses
Hi Racerx, those are great looking wheels. I can't quite make out the logo--can you enlighten me? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sherman. I have a base Boxster 2009, 2.9 Liter engine. Although I have 2009 Cayman wheels, delivered with my car as optional 18" wheels, I believe Racerx987's wheels are the base Boxster std 18" Boxster wheels. The std base Boxster wheel was 18" in 2009, up from 17" in 2007 & 2008. They certainly look to me like the std 18" Boxster wheels for the 2009 model year-I think they were carried over to 2010 & 2011,as was most of the base Boxster series over those years until the 981 series.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sherman. I have a base Boxster 2009, 2.9 Liter engine. Although I have 2009 Cayman wheels, delivered with my car as optional 18" wheels, I believe Racerx987's wheels are the base Boxster std 18" Boxster wheels. The std base Boxster wheel was 18" in 2009, up from 17" in 2007 & 2008. They certainly look to me like the std 18" Boxster wheels for the 2009 model year-I think they were carried over to 2010 & 2011,as was most of the base Boxster series over those years until the 981 series.
Those wheels were as identified 18" Boxster S II wheels on my 2010--which I legally own but have yet to lay eyes on! It's maybe somewhere in Montana by now...: 2010 Porsche Boxster 6-Speed.

321 - 340 of 387 Posts