Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

How many 2.9 owners?

• Total voters
361 - 380 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just picked up this ‘09 Arctic Silver with 9k miles! It’s almost like a brand new car. I thought the 2.9 would be a great compromise of having the updated car/engine while not having the premium that .2 Ss command. Got it for $28k. Pretty basic spec - 19” Carrera Sport Wheels, headrest crests, and heated seats. Loving it so far. I’m planning on having spark plugs, belt and all fluids changed. I’ve already ordered a set of 4S’s (still on the original tires from ‘08). Have the PSE and Sport retrofit on my wish list already. And R suspension. Im coming from an ND Miata which is a great car but just not a Porsche. There is no substitute.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
45 Posts
Amazing that it's on original tyres from a decade ago!!

Enjoy that beautiful 2.9!

Just picked up this ‘09 Arctic Silver with 9k miles! It’s almost like a brand new car. I thought the 2.9 would be a great compromise of having the updated car/engine while not having the premium that .2 Ss command. Got it for $28k. Pretty basic spec - 19” Carrera Sport Wheels, headrest crests, and heated seats. Loving it so far. I’m planning on having spark plugs, belt and all fluids changed. I’ve already ordered a set of 4S’s (still on the original tires from ‘08). Have the PSE and Sport retrofit on my wish list already. And R suspension. Im coming from an ND Miata which is a great car but just not a Porsche. There is no substitute. View attachment 270414 View attachment 270415 View attachment 270416

·
Registered
30 Posts
@sectachrome: "still on the original tires from ‘08"

Good god change those asap, they must be hard as rocks! New P4Ss will transform your car.
lol they actually aren't that bad somehow. I've pushed them a bit and they are still pretty grippy. Still, P4S's going on next week. I've had the A/S 3+ and Super Sports on other cars so Im excited to see how the 4S is.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
45 Posts
Selamat pagi 🇲🇾 from Malaysia...
Nice local breakies of Roti 🥚 Telur with the son and a very quick wash....

·
Registered
7 Posts
New 2.9 track build reporting in from Australia.

Purchased this car a couple of months ago as I wanted a new track car with slightly more power than my MX5 which can survive 20+ track days a year reliably and this car came up as a bargain.

I previously had a 981 Boxster S PDK but wanted something less expensive and manual to take to the track.

Specs are:
  • GT3 Front & Rear Lower Control Arms
  • GT3 Brake Master Cylinder
  • Ohlins R&T Coilovers (uprated 475/550lb springs + tenders)
  • Tarett rear sway Bar (with Tarett adjustable drop links)
  • Tarett rear toe link & locking kit
  • PagID RSL1 Pads
  • 996 GT3 fixed back seat
  • Custom weld in harness bar
  • Apex SM-10 Wheels (18x8.5 +50 & 18x10 +36)
Waiting on the Drexler LSD to come in so we can fit that as well (the car desperately needs it!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks awesome retro! How do the GT3 control arms feel on your 987 and would you recommend it?

Haven’t been to eastern creek in a while but looks like you had fun! I’ve only ever been around there on my motorcycle when I had it.

Looking forward to seeing more of this car

Purchased this car a couple of months ago as I wanted a new track car with slightly more power than my MX5 which can survive 20+ track days a year reliably and this car came up as a bargain.

I previously had a 981 Boxster S PDK but wanted something less expensive and manual to take to the track.

Specs are:
  • PagID RSL1 Pads
Waiting on the Drexler LSD to come in so we can fit that as well (the car desperately needs it!)

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
45 Posts

Specs are:
  • PagID RSL1 Pads

The Recaros are FIERCE!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks awesome retro! How do the GT3 control arms feel on your 987 and would you recommend it?

Haven’t been to eastern creek in a while but looks like you had fun! I’ve only ever been around there on my motorcycle when I had it.

Looking forward to seeing more of this car
Thanks mate. I might start a thread here documenting the build like I'm doing on PFA.

I'm very happy with the GT3 LCA's and I think they are pretty essential if you plan on tracking the car seriously on semi slick tyres as these cars are camber challenged and changing the LCA is the optimal way to increase camber. I went with GT3 bushings rather than monoball/aftermarket as I don't mind a bit of additional flex to have something I know will last (I'm not racing for sheep stations anyway).

The alternative option is top mounts but I understand you can only get to about 2 degrees with them at the front vs the 2.7 we got out of LCA's and 16mm shims. I think if you aren't going to do rear LCA's though you can just save the money going with camber plates.

I take pyrometer readings after every session and based on the readings I took yesterday camber seemed about right for the Z221 semi slick tyres I'm running (I could add camber plates for more but I don't think I need to at present).

The Recaros are FIERCE!!!
Thanks! Yeh they are very race car.

I wish I could find another one at a reasonable price to replace the passenger seat as well..

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
45 Posts
Thanks mate. I might start a thread here documenting the build like I'm doing on PFA.

I'm very happy with the GT3 LCA's and I think they are pretty essential if you plan on tracking the car seriously on semi slick tyres as these cars are camber challenged and changing the LCA is the optimal way to increase camber. I went with GT3 bushings rather than monoball/aftermarket as I don't mind a bit of additional flex to have something I know will last (I'm not racing for sheep stations anyway).

The alternative option is top mounts but I understand you can only get to about 2 degrees with them at the front vs the 2.7 we got out of LCA's and 16mm shims. I think if you aren't going to do rear LCA's though you can just save the money going with camber plates.

I take pyrometer readings after every session and based on the readings I took yesterday camber seemed about right for the Z221 semi slick tyres I'm running (I could add camber plates for more but I don't think I need to at present).

I wish I could find another one at a reasonable price to replace the passenger seat as well..
Wish I could fit into a Recaro set-up, in my Base 987.2 which came with "Porsche Sports Seats" (Option P77) ... I am already finding the seat bolsters very huggy especially around the waist and shoulders!

Happy driving....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome mate I’m on PFA too will definitely have a look there. Hope the HWP don’t give you too much hassle over the recaros. They love handing out fines for anything and everything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome mate I’m on PFA too will definitely have a look there. Hope the HWP don’t give you too much hassle over the recaros. They love handing out fines for anything and everything
Oh cool, it's in the tribute, track and hot rod section.

Yeh hopefully I don't get troubled by the HWP. My old MX5 had a loud exhaust, carbon hardtop, weld in half cage and race seats. I got worried about it at first but after 50 or so track days I never had an issue.

The airbag is disabled using resistors and a Piwis so I can swap in the stock seat in if I ever need to.

361 - 380 of 385 Posts