Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW, Car and Driver just published their short road test of a 2009 Cayman 2.9 PDK and got 0-60 in 5.1 secs, without sports chrono, in their test car...
They say it is about the same as the gen I (pre-2009) CS manuals.

Check out their website.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
FWIW, Car and Driver just published their short road test of a 2009 Cayman 2.9 PDK and got 0-60 in 5.1 secs, without sports chrono, in their test car...
They say it is about the same as the gen I (pre-2009) CS manuals.

Check out their website.
Road and Track did 4.8 with the 06-08 S. I have the tech panel framed.

Sounds like C&D needs some new Ds.;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those drivers who don't want manual transmissions, some have been choosing between the 2008 CS tip and 2009 C PDK.
The 2.9 PDK is clearly faster by nearly 1/2 sec. in 0-60, not even close.

·
Registered
510 Posts
For those drivers who don't want manual transmissions, some have been choosing between the 2008 CS tip and 2009 C PDK.
The 2.9 PDK is clearly faster by nearly 1/2 sec. in 0-60, not even close.
Yes. I'm giving up on the 2008 tips. PDK is the future.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I never even gave it a second thought. The next Porsche will have PDK. It can shift faster and better then 99% of the drivers on the planet. What makes me think I can do it any better?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I would believe the new 2.9L's greater HP and torque would be the key ingredient here, as it is a pretty big difference over the previous base C. While PDK would help,....simply faster shifting won't get you this type of performance increase. I believe the new direct inject engines are even more underrated compared to the Gen I cars. When I test drove various combos of trannys and engines about a month ago, the engine performance clearly stood out as the biggest difference all.

Most mag results have the Gen I CS at 4.8 sec to sixty, with 1/4 miles times around the 13.3 / .4 range.

Yep, PDK has it hands down over the TIP.

Once again though, I'd love to see a manual vs. PDK test of all models.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Atlas_Croc -- your hypothesis is flawed in this case.

The interesting thing is that the 2.9 gen II engine is NOT direct fuel injection.
It's still port injection--the only one from this new engine block that does not have DFI.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Atlas_Croc -- your hypothesis is flawed in this case.

The interesting thing is that the 2.9 gen II engine is NOT direct fuel injection.
It's still port injection--the only one from this new engine block that does not have DFI.
I do stand corrected on the 2.9 engine.

My contention is still the same though,....the performance of the Gen II base C is much stronger due mostly to the engine. An upgrade in all areas HP, torque and displacement is the key.

How much performance the PDK offered cannot be decided upon as it was not tested along side a manual, and that would be necessary in order to draw any conclusions.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I do stand corrected on the 2.9 engine.

My contention is still the same though,....the performance of the Gen II base C is much stronger due mostly to the engine. An upgrade in all areas HP, torque and displacement is the key.

How much performance the PDK offered cannot be decided upon as it was not tested along side a manual, and that would be necessary in order to draw any conclusions.
Anyone out there seen a Gen II 3.4DFI PDK vrs 6-spd report anywhere?:)

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I never even gave it a second thought. The next Porsche will have PDK. It can shift faster and better then 99% of the drivers on the planet. What makes me think I can do it any better?
I find it interesting that just a few short months ago, before PDK came out, the main argument for not getting an automatic was the lack of "driver involvement". Now with PDK, no one talks about that anymore and seems like the majority of new Porsche buyers are going with PDK.

My theory is that manual drivers have all secretly envied the convenience of auto but shun from it really to avoid riducules from friends and relatives. But now with PDK, the "driver involvement" argument is never mentioned again and finally drivers can counter their mocking friends/relatives with "BUT my PDK is FASTER than manual!".

Just a theory. My next Porsche will definitely be a PDK. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a gtech meter and tested the 09 3.2 PDK and got a 4.22 0-60
:eek:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I find it interesting that just a few short months ago, before PDK came out, the main argument for not getting an automatic was the lack of "driver involvement". Now with PDK, no one talks about that anymore and seems like the majority of new Porsche buyers are going with PDK.

My theory is that manual drivers have all secretly envied the convenience of auto but shun from it really to avoid riducules from friends and relatives. But now with PDK, the "driver involvement" argument is never mentioned again and finally drivers can counter their mocking friends/relatives with "BUT my PDK is FASTER than manual!".

I second your theory. :)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts

A valid theory, but not without flaws....

As a manual driver I have NEVER secretly envied the "convenience" of an auto,.....but that is mainly due to the nature of the old auto tranny, torque converter and all. This in a sports car was just horrible,....at least for me. Good as it may be, the old Tiptronic did sap some performance from the Gen I cars. Convenience valued over performance in this case.

With PDK everything has changed,.....now previous drivers of only automatic type transmissions have a valid sporting transmission to consider when buying a Porsche. I contend that with PDK many auto only drivers can now actually buy a Porsche with equal performance of a manual version,....this alone would spur much interest in the PDK.

So yes, it is probably true that many new to Porsche buyers do select PDK,.....as they probably would not have bought a Porsche if PDK was not available and Tip was still the only option.

Kudos to Porsche for finally bringing it to the market place and expanding the buyer pool. It helps buyers of all versions.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Tiptronics was not even a consideration. PDK is now an acceptable transmition. Every year that pases, as I get older, it looks more attractive. In about 4 or 5 years when I consider another car, it will sure be in contention.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree completely with the above. I have always been told that if you want a sports coupe with auto. transmission, definitely go Mercedes (SL and SLK) and not Porsche because their auto trans. is no good--and people would laugh at you...

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Driving a loaner Boxter from the dealer with PDK. Kinda cool how you can blip it and it downshifts, and shift with the steering wheel control and so on.
But!,, I'll stick with the stick :) Much more fun and control even if it's a tick slower.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My first porsche was a tip 2000 Boxster S. It was my first performance car and was a DD so it was still impressive to drive and a lot of fun. When i took it to the track some of the smile disappeared particularly when i drove a friends manual S, the difference on the track was considerable. I vowed never again to get a tip or auto for a performance car, thus my 6M Cayman S. Now that the PDK has come out and I read all your great reviews, I will certainly drive a PDK model before my next purchase. A self shifter with better performance than a manual is hard to ignore, or at least have a look at.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's a mighty fast time for a 2.9L engine and 3100 LB weight. Is the gearing lower and more closely spaced with the PDK? Anyone know the top speed of the car in each of the first three gears? If the speeds are 30, 50, and 75 MPH, I could believe the huge improvement.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts