Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selecting my build and wondering if I can do without the 14-way power seats. I did try both the 14-way and 2-way seats at the dealer and when sitting in the 2-way I noticed that when I pumped up the manual height adjustment I felt like the bottom of the seat was tilting forward, as though if I kept going up my tailbone would be higher or level with the back of my knees. I thought this might be a problem on long trips, but there is no way to know without owning the car. Is there a way to fix this in the manual seats? I am 5'7" and I felt like I needed to pump up the seat quite a bit to see well. I now drive an Accord so maybe it will just take some getting used to the position in the Cayman before I feel completely comfortable. I don't have any back problems so I am not too concerned about lumbar support, so I was thinking of saving the money and foregoing the 14-way seats. Did any of you do the same and regret your decision?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im 5'2 got a sports seat plus with 2 way, no problem with me. Longest drive was 4+ hours. Since I'm the only one who drives, don't need memory, only adjusted it once

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just ask yourself how many drivers will be sitting in that seat.
In my case, just me. If I could have ordered the sport seats plus all manual adjustments I would have.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went for the 14 way because I wanted the memory feature anticipating multiple drivers and not liking the pumping action for seat adjustment. As it turns out, I have been the only driver and have not changed the position very often once I got it where I liked it. However, the big surprise has been comfort entry mode (seat automatically moves back about an inch and steering column raises up). At 5'10", I'm not that tall but it can be tricky getting in/out. There's another thread about comfort entry, some like it, some don't. I enjoy not scraping across the steering wheel getting in/out. I haven't experiment lately but I think I also recall some of the tilting action mentioned even with the 14 way seats but never felt like I couldn't overcome it by varying some of the other adjustments.

Reactions: imi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never sat that close to the steering wheel such that I needed to move the seat back to get in (in a normal car). I felt like if I was that close then it might be dangerous in a crash. I guess the tilt forward/ seat up action makes sense ergonomically, since the pedals are fixed and your legs need to angle down the higher above the pedals your seat gets.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
My first two Caymans (08 CS and CR) had manual seats with just the 2way electric. My 981 has the 14way with memory, electronic steering tilt and telescope as I bought it as CPO and that is what it had. I like it but as I reflect on it.............the manual were quite good and no problem. My wife drives my car a fair amount and is 5' and I am 5'8"....so, the memory is helpful but not sure it would have been enough to justify the delta if I had ordered. Also, I have defeated the comfort entry feature as it did not make that much difference and candidly, it seemed to me cycling the motors every time I got into the car did not seem worth the wear for the minimal value, to me, of the feature. IMO

·
Registered
302 Posts
I drove a few demo Caymans with the manual seats and at 6' 2" was very uncomfortable because of the lack of tilt and lumbar adjustment. Bought the 14 way and think they are extremely comfortable on short or long trips. The new 14 way give you power adjustable thigh support along with lumbar support and the memory function also has many other additions like storing AC settings ,Radio stations and power steering wheel settings. My new Cayman S, recently ordered, will have the 14way. I consider, for me the most important option. After all being comfortable in an $80,000 car seems logical.

Reactions: Vik and imi

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've had both types of seats in my last two cars. I like the 14 way with memory but I am the only driver. I do like the comfort entry that is part of the package. However, in the 3 years with the previous car and 2 way seats, I had no problems at all. They were comfortable and were more than adequate on long rides. The question comes down to finances, is the little extra adjustment and additional settings worth the price? In my opinion it is but if price is a consideration I could easily do without.

I'm selecting my build and wondering if I can do without the 14-way power seats. I did try both the 14-way and 2-way seats at the dealer and when sitting in the 2-way I noticed that when I pumped up the manual height adjustment I felt like the bottom of the seat was tilting forward, as though if I kept going up my tailbone would be higher or level with the back of my knees. I thought this might be a problem on long trips, but there is no way to know without owning the car. Is there a way to fix this in the manual seats? I am 5'7" and I felt like I needed to pump up the seat quite a bit to see well. I now drive an Accord so maybe it will just take some getting used to the position in the Cayman before I feel completely comfortable. I don't have any back problems so I am not too concerned about lumbar support, so I was thinking of saving the money and foregoing the 14-way seats. Did any of you do the same and regret your decision?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I slightly teak and adjust my 14 way seat all the time. I love having the ability to adjust it on the fly.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I had the 14-way (or 18) on a 997 and bought the 2-way on the 981. The only thing I missed was a bit of lumbar and that was an easy fix (there's a thread here on how to do it). I have no use for the memory and the adjustable bolsters weren't worth the $$ to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like for shorter folks, the 2-way is fine while taller folks prefer the 14-way. Yet another advantage of being shorter. Thanks all for sharing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm a 6 footer with a 2-way seat, and I don't have any issues. I've been on trips and track the car with comfort (and I'm mostly the only driver). I daily drive a Nissan Sentra, and the seat height difference IS very noticeable! But when I get in the Cayman, it feels special and racy!! I wanted 14-way, but they had this car on the lot with everything else I wanted…and a good deal. Turned out to be fine!

·
Registered
465 Posts
My 07 had the manual seats and I had no complaints. The 11 has the 14 way seats, which I hardly ever move. Tho only thing good about it is the mirror feature, which if you indicate one of the sides on the adjuster, will dip if you go into reverse.
Given a choice, I would go manual.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Choosing the right seat is not about how many times you're going to move it, but being able to find the optimal seating position. With the manual seats, I needed less tilt in the front, and that adjustment is non-existent. Plus no lumbar, and no thigh extension (another VERY nice adjustment on long trips). The power steering column and memory is awesome too. After seating in all seats, the comfort, support, and adjustments of the adaptive seats, was like day and night to me. They're just incredible, and I wasn't going to skimp on seats on such an expensive car, so what's what I ordered. The other advantage of either sport+ or adaptive seats is they already come in full leather; you don't need any package for that. And if you add full leather, the charge is less due to the seats being full leather already. Yeah, the seats are heavier, but unless you're going to track the car and your income depends on it, it's not an excuse. I was skeptical until I sat on one; was instantly sold, even before the test ride.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
IMO OP, you need to sit in the seats. Bring a book, spend an hour just sitting in the lot in each seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
After much deliberation, I went with the 14-way seats for my build, mainly for the thigh extension. Not crazy about the added cost and weight, but I can't get adequate leg support with my preferred seating position in the 2-way sports+ seats and tend to get leg cramps on long trips.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,086 Posts
OP: I went with 2 way seats and have no regrets. I am 5'9", 47 (so not a geezer yet with a bad back...lol) and the car is not my daily driver so I don't have long drives in it normally.

I am also thin and the only one who drives the car so the memory function is irrelvant and I have no problem getting in and out of the car.

If none of the above are issues for you, I would forgo the 14 way seats. Extra weight and cost that you don't need.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got the 14 way primarily for the comfort of my significant other, my primary passenger. If it were a "track day" car for me I'd have gotten the 2-way sports seats plus no question. But I'll be spending much more time taking weekend trips and going on date nights with my lovely wife than driving on the track. But aside from her comfort, I do welcome the added adjustability, not to mention the additional steering wheel adjustability that comes with the 14 way seats. If I have to sacrifice a little speed and lateral support on track days, so be it.

Another purely subjective observation is that the handles, knobs and mechanisms to move the 2-way seats just seem kinda cheap to me; a little beneath Porsche IMHO. The 14-way controls seem to be of more appropriate quality befitting the car.

·
Vendor
6,490 Posts
Yes, you sit low in the sports car. You'll get used to it. Don't try to adjust the seat to where it feels like Honda. It's counter productive :)

Yes, when you pump seat up - it tilts forward a little. That's the way it works on 981.

I did order manual 2wasy seats and have no regrets. At first I thought I'm missing lumbar support adjustment. Surprisingly, now me and my wife had multiple long road trips, and you never feel tires after driving for 8 hours. Seats are comfortable and very supportive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts