Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fairly new Porsche owner and I'm looking to install the 20" Carrera Classic II's on my 987. I've seen another with them and really like the look. Will any modification's be required? I know the wheel is made 20x8" & 20x8.5" front, and 20x9.5" & 20x11" rear's. Will either or both fit, without modification and the proper size tire? Will the hub or caliber be an issue? How about the spring perch? What maximum offset's fit? I have no problem with low profile tire's (30 or 35's).

Here's the look I'm going for:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't use 20" wheels on the 987. These are too big and will negatively affect handling due to the weight and very thin tire profile.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I'm a fairly new Porsche owner and I'm looking to install the 20" Carrera Classic II's on my 987. I've seen another with them and really like the look. Will any modification's be required? I know the wheel is made 20x8" & 20x8.5" front, and 20x9.5" & 20x11" rear's. Will either or both fit, without modification and the proper size tire? Will the hub or caliber be an issue? How about the spring perch? What maximum offset's fit? I have no problem with low profile tire's (30 or 35's).

Here's the look I'm going for:

Welcome, none of the images worked... so the 987 Cayman does not show as coming from the factory with 20" wheels, not to say you can't make them work but you will have to confirm the fit before any money goes down! 😉

Either find someone who has their car fitted with the size you are looking at or consult a reputable tire shop for guidance.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I believe Arch has a whole thread on this topic. He was successful. Use Google to find the link, 20 in Cararra wheels on a 987 Cayman, which exposes another tire gap issue.

·
Incurable Gearhead
900 Posts
Yea, a few years back I fell in love with 981 Carrera S IIIs, came across a minty set of new car take-offs, and set about trying to make them work. Plan was to fit 35 series rubber but clearance issues popped up, so 30 series rubber went on and worked fine. Still, I wanted to get back to more sidewall and was set to experiment further once my rears needed replacing. Instead I jumped on the 19” setup in my sig and am completely enamored.

Long story short, OP, if it's 20s you want, it’s totally doable. But given the the smaller wheel wells of the 987, you're in for a tire sizing experiment. Here's the old thread... https://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-and-wheels/95292-981-20-carrera-s-iii-wheels-my-987-2-a.html

In fact those wheels are now garage art. Gotta get around to selling 'em!
107178C2-28FD-459A-8739-AD6BAB5DE8AE.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for your input, buddy. I'm reviewing your thread, now. What was the most significant reasoning, moving back to a 19? To clarify, were they OEM or aftermarket? I'm having significant troubles locating an aftermarket/replica, of the 20" Rad Classic II's, in 8" & 9.5".

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nvizn, you might check you photo work after posting. You can always go back in to revise/correct the picture quality or delete the post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20190916_172720.jpg

I alway's check and confirm. It was displaying, immediately after posting. It must be some problem with this forum, and Google Photos. I'm able to post from the same folder, on another forum, no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts