Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a 2013 Boxster with 20"wheels that makes strange noises when you do a hard left or right turn a very slow speeds (like pulling out of a parking place, etc.)? I know the wheels are at an angle when turning and it feels like they are slipping sideways on the pavement or hitting something. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer (only have 3K miles on it).

Thanks

Ted

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Anyone have a 2013 Boxster with 20"wheels that makes strange noises when you do a hard left or right turn a very slow speeds (like pulling out of a parking place, etc.)? I know the wheels are at an angle when turning and it feels like they are slipping sideways on the pavement or hitting something. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer (only have 3K miles on it).

Thanks

Ted
Common and normal:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/73439-odd-noise.html?highlight=skipping
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/77650-any-problems-2.html#post689752

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
832 Posts

Thanks

Ted
The tires are indeed slipping/skipping.

In a proper spot turn the wheels full lock left or right. Turn off the engine. Get out of the car and sight the front tires. You'll clearly see the inside front tire has barely one half its tread face on the pavement.

Since the inside tire's turn angle is slightly sharper then the outside tire and it is in less contact with the pavement and lightly loaded it will skip/slip and transmit a shudder/judder through the wheel.

·
Registered
254 Posts
it's true of all wheel sizes. i have it with the 18's. forward or reverse, full lock. it goes away when the tires are warmer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I won't worry about it now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My old 987 did exactly the same, so it's not specific to the 981.
Mine too. Product of wheelbase and lightweight nature of the car. Engineers could have avoided it at the expense of handling during normal driving. I'm glad they chose the route they did, a little low speed tire skip is well worth better handling while driving rather than parking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 997 was the same too.

Strangely though, no skipping with my 981 on 18's although I have winter tyres on at the mo which may be more supple / pliable?

·
Registered
956 Posts
My 997 was the same too.

Strangely though, no skipping with my 981 on 18's although I have winter tyres on at the mo which may be more supple / pliable?
I notice less skipping with my 18" winter wheels than with the 20" summer ones. If it's due to the rubber compund or the different tire profiles, I don't know. Probably a combination!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know, all of you say, ist is normal, but mine (7days old, 20 inch) does not only skip, it jumps! Still normal ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I know, all of you say, ist is normal, but mine (7days old, 20 inch) does not only skip, it jumps! Still normal ?
Probably. 20 inch tires have a small cross section and have a very stiff sidewall. All other things being equal I'd expect the larger tires to be worse.

In your car's case the fact the car is so new means the tires are of course new too and may not have time to scrub in. IOWs, the new tires have not yet developed their optimum grip and are even more likely to manifest this behavior.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Mine doesn't do it after the tires are warm.
It has been a real annoyance in sub 40o weather, even with 18" tires. But there was no skipping while in Florida recently with temps ranging from 60o to 85o. The trick is simply to do slow extreme lock turns very carefully - especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tires clunking when cold with low speeds and tight turns

So with my stock 19 inch rims and summer tires I am noticing something strange on my 2016 Cayman. This only happens during low speeds and tight turning (like in the parking lot) and it seems to be worse when cold. I hear a clunk clunk clunk as if I'm running something over with my tires because I can feel it in my steering wheel. It doesn't feel like rubbing in the wheel wells or anything. What I think is happening is that the sound is coming from friction between the pavement and my tires. Can someone tell me if this is normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: Tires clunking when cold with low speeds and tight turns

So with my stock 19 inch rims and summer tires I am noticing something strange on my 2016 Cayman. This only happens during low speeds and tight turning (like in the parking lot) and it seems to be worse when cold. I hear a clunk clunk clunk as if I'm running something over with my tires because I can feel it in my steering wheel. It doesn't feel like rubbing in the wheel wells or anything. What I think is happening is that the sound is coming from friction between the pavement and my tires. Can someone tell me if this is normal? Thanks!
This is normal and is tire scrubbing:http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/78369-20-wheels-make-noise-slow-hard-turn.htmlhttp://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=9&f=231&t=1361206&i=20&mid=0&nmt=981+tyres+scrubbing+when+turningHope that helps!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts

A Boxster owner asked the same question today. Here is a copy of my answer.
Read up on Ackermann angle and it will explain why your front tires have to "shuffle" when turned sharply like in your driveway turning around.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry Note also that with high performance summer tires the shuffling is much more pronounced in colder temperatures. From the Wikipedia article--- "Modern cars do not use pure Ackermann steering, partly because it ignores important dynamic and compliant effects, but the principle is sound for low-speed manoeuvres. Some race cars use reverse Ackermann geometry to compensate for the large difference in slip angle between the inner and outer front tyres while cornering at high speed. The use of such geometry helps reduce tyre temperatures during high-speed cornering but compromises performance in low-speed maneuvers.[SUP][3]"[/SUP]

·
Registered
30 Posts

Ah thanks guys! I just saw that reply on Ackermann angle on the search and didn't even realize it was from today :thanks:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts