Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: Tires clunking when cold with low speeds and tight turns

This should be a "winter-stickie!"
I was worried about the exact same thing on delivery last Feb....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Re: Tires clunking when cold with low speeds and tight turns

It's not even a winter issue. It's normal down in FL. Get used to it or get something with skinny wheels and tires. Of course if u like driving one of the best handling cars in the world, u quickly learn to accept this issue which is totally trivial in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's worse when backing out of a steep driveway. It's annoying, but perfectly normal.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
452 Posts
Mine doesn't do it after the tires are warm.
What he said. I had this same issue with all my past Caymans and my current 991 in cold weather. Never an issue in warm weather or after tires heated up a bit.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
This should be a first sticky at the top of the page...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It's not a tire brand problem and it's not a 20" wheel problem. It's a high performance sports car problem. Some folks obviously have not owned many sports cars and don't read enough. or don't retain what they do read, if they still don't understand. My 981S Michelin PSS tires do it here in FL at 85F in the wet. So get used to it. It is a trivial problem unless u r clueless and hit the gas with wheels fully turned. Then u might hit something and it's not the car's fault. It's ur fault for being a reluctant learner.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Turning in 1st Gear

Hi,

When I turn my car in first gear, such as turning around in a short space, i find that the front wheels (tires) lose grip and I hear a strange skidding sound.

This only happens if I lock the steering wheel... it's almost like I am going against the threads in the tires.

Is this normal... does anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's not a tire brand problem and it's not a 20" wheel problem. It's a high performance sports car problem. Some folks obviously have not owned many sports cars and don't read enough. or don't retain what they do read, if they still don't understand. My 981S Michelin PSS tires do it here in FL at 85F in the wet. So get used to it. It is a trivial problem unless u r clueless and hit the gas with wheels fully turned. Then u might hit something and it's not the car's fault. It's ur fault for being a reluctant learner.
If you pull into the parking space faster, the weight transfer will put more load on the outside and less on the inside and the effect will be less pronounced. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: Turning in 1st Gear

I had this bad on the Pirellis that came on the car. Bought new MPSS and it went away. Didn't know if it was the Pirellis or the new tires. Now the tread has worn down a fair amount and it's just starting to return. Ergo, it happens more when your treads are worn down a bit. But as per the several links and many posts: nothing at all to worry about.

Now just trying to hang tough on the MPSS until the new M and new Conti tires become available, get some reviews & ratings on them, etc.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

I had this bad on the Pirellis that came on the car. Bought new MPSS and it went away. Didn't know if it was the Pirellis or the new tires. Now the tread has worn down a fair amount and it's just starting to return. Ergo, it happens more when your treads are worn down a bit. But as per the several links and many posts: nothing at all to worry about.
+1. Lose the Pirellis and this problem will become virtually nonexistent.

My 981S Michelin PSS tires do it here in FL at 85F in the wet.
If that's the case, then I suspect you actually do have a problem with your front alignment/struts/other suspension parts. There have been one or two reports of faulty strut mounts, IIRC.

·
Registered
374 Posts

+1. Lose the Pirellis and this problem will become virtually nonexistent.

If that's the case, then I suspect you actually do have a problem with your front alignment/struts/other suspension parts. There have been one or two reports of faulty strut mounts, IIRC.
My data said it was tread wear, not tire brand.

·
Registered
563 Posts

FWIW, I have experienced this with each of the the three Caymans I have owned. It ain't no thang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's this, PCA1983 nailed it. During tight turns, the outside tire passes through a much larger radius arc than the inside tire, so the inside tire has to turn tighter: this is called the ackerman geometry. Ordinary passenger cars have tight ackerman radius so they turn smoothly into parking spots at full lock, but ackerman radius that tight leads to instability in high speed turns; some race cars actually have reverse ackerman. Ours don't, it's still positive ackerman, but it's not as tight as a passenger car and leads to stress between the front tires during tight radius turns. It's further exacerbated by stiff sidewall tires that resist flexing and stiff treadblocks that resist squirm. Ergo, this is normal- something's got to give, and in this case the give is akin to a slow speed 1-wheel drift where one tire gets twisted and tugged along the asphalt to it's snapping point, then breaks loose and releases that energy with a shudder. It's not really hurting anything besides maybe a small bit of tire wear, about as much as you get from turning your steering wheel while your car is stopped.

Which is why I joked the cure is to pull into your parking spot at high speed so the body roll and weight transfer unloads the inside tire. ;)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts