Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks, new user.
got a problem with the above conversion. does anyone have a protocol? got the computer from the same 2002 s and can get the wiring harness from same and mechanic has access to Porsche dealer to supply any codes needed but he doesn't have the time to go where many men (probably women too) have gone before. anybody have such info here? I realize it's dated info but ive had the car 11 years before the ims went and love it.
piscator

·
Registered
8 Posts
Details please:
Vario cam or vario cam plus
Is you 99 throttle by wire or is it cable driven throttle
Is yours a 2.5 or 2.7?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be able to just take the 2.5 harness, assuming it had vario cam, and plug everything onto the 3.2.

I swapped in a 3.4 liter motor into my 2000 boxster, and ran the 2.7 software for 3 years.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Vario Cam, Plus started with the M97 engine in 2007

·
Registered
8 Posts
To the OP,

We really need some more information. Have you tried using the 2.5 harness on the 3.2? It should work...

What would really set the engine free would be a 996 intake manifold and a 987S airbox, with some tuning and exhaust work your 3.2 will put out close to 270-280 hp. Unfortunately, depending on the head casting, the 986 3.2 heads may not have the holes drilled and tapped for the 3.4/3.6 intake manifold. If you can't find a 3.4 cable driven throttle, I have one.

I tried running my 3.4 with a 2.7/3.2 intake/exhaust manifold set and was terribly disappointed with the power output. It wasnt until I installed the 996 manifold, 987S air box, and full exhaust that I realized the potential. I also immediated understood why there was such a large difference in power between the boxster S 3.2 and 911 3.4 engine... Porsche really wanted to make sure the boxster was no where near the performance of their 911.

Oh, and you'll need a 987S engine cover to run the 996 intake manifold. Its a tight fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Kevlar;
this site doesn't inform me when someone posts and have been busy lately.
im not much of a mechanic so this info has to go from the mechanic to me to you which causes delay.
do I need the engine computer from an s motor?
my mechanic has good rx with Porsche dealer who will help with essential reprogramming.
will ask him about 3.4 cable throttle and intake manifold.
he is able to do drill/tap work for intake.
by full exhaust do you mean 996 exhaust?

will get back to you shortly.

·
Registered
574 Posts
These questions probably have answers on the Pelican Parts forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi boiler maker
wayne wasn't especially helpful and referred me to softronics. his book prompted my purchase of the s engine. another contributor told me what separates a good mechanic from a poor one. not a good show.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks Kevlar;
this site doesn't inform me when someone posts and have been busy lately.
im not much of a mechanic so this info has to go from the mechanic to me to you which causes delay.
do I need the engine computer from an s motor?
my mechanic has good rx with Porsche dealer who will help with essential reprogramming.
will ask him about 3.4 cable throttle and intake manifold.
he is able to do drill/tap work for intake.
by full exhaust do you mean 996 exhaust?

will get back to you shortly.
Where in NY are you? Im right outside of NYC, I can probably swing by and help.
As for the full exhaust, nothing from a 996 will work on your car. You should install headers, mid pipes, and a muffler after the swap is complete.

As for the computer, it depends if the 2002 was a CAN BUS car or not. If its not, and your mechanic chooses to use the 3.2 harness, you can plug it in and have it programmed at your local porsche dealer.

By the way, I am also a Porshce/Mercedes mechanic. Ive done this swap a few times, and a few different ways. Its fairly straight forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi Kevlar;
would greatly appreciate it.
car is at advanced automotive in new Windsor ny.
mechanic is tom florio. 845-562-0346
we should talk
ray tartakoff 8456472112

1 - 14 of 14 Posts