Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radio (CDR-24 with Bose) is one flaky, poor sounding device. I have turned the bass and treble down and AP off to achieve mediocre sound instead of really bad sound with more “normal” settings. I’ve also adjusted the fader mostly to the front as the speakers behind the seats are extremely distorted and flat. To top it off, the radio will occasionally drop volume while I’m just driving along.

I’m trying to decide on next steps. I’m all for replacing the head unit to get CarPlay and Bluetooth streaming. The question is whether to keep the Bose (investing the adapters for the fiber optic cable) or just bypass the Bose and put in new speakers with the head unit? How can I tell if my issues are head unit, Bose amp, wiring, or speakers? I’m figuring it’s a best guess and roll the dice option but thought I’d reach out to this experienced team first.

Your advice and ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Slip,

I felt the same way about the audio in my Cayman. I installed an Alpine head unit for CarPlay since it's highly focused on iPhone and Siri integration. Looks slick without knobs on the front also. However it does not have Bluetooth capability (was not an issue for my project). Pioneer makes a nice head unit that includes CarPlay, Bluetooth, and more.

I purchased and installed the most HUR integration kit to tie into the existing wiring harness... and personally the sound quality didn't do it for me. I ended up doing the installation one more time, but with a JL Audio 6 channel amp in the Frunk. This was a more difficult installation, but was well worth the effort. I kept all of the factory Bose speakers in place, and wired a 'bass knob' to the amp, to control the bass coming from the door woofers and passenger floor sub. Floor sub I had to re-wire the speaker with a standard speaker wire, and ran that directly to the JL amp. Having this adjustability was a good choice as my music library is diverse.

Im very pleased with this setup, and receive compliments on the sound quality and head unit integration. When the Cayman isn't making her own beautiful 'music' through the Borla exhaust, I'm glad I made the investment in an aftermarket head unit and amplifier.

Hope this was helpful,

Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Slip,

I felt the same way about the audio in my Cayman. I installed an Alpine head unit for CarPlay since it's highly focused on iPhone and Siri integration. Looks slick without knobs on the front also. However it does not have Bluetooth capability (was not an issue for my project). Pioneer makes a nice head unit that includes CarPlay, Bluetooth, and more.

I purchased and installed the most HUR integration kit to tie into the existing wiring harness... and personally the sound quality didn't do it for me. I ended up doing the installation one more time, but with a JL Audio 6 channel amp in the Frunk. This was a more difficult installation, but was well worth the effort. I kept all of the factory Bose speakers in place, and wired a 'bass knob' to the amp, to control the bass coming from the door woofers and passenger floor sub. Floor sub I had to re-wire the speaker with a standard speaker wire, and ran that directly to the JL amp. Having this adjustability was a good choice as my music library is diverse.

Im very pleased with this setup, and receive compliments on the sound quality and head unit integration. When the Cayman isn't making her own beautiful 'music' through the Borla exhaust, I'm glad I made the investment in an aftermarket head unit and amplifier.

Hope this was helpful,

Frank
Thanks Frank. This does help. I’m leaning towards the head unit (at least) and will now look in to the amp as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Slip,

I'm in the middle of exactly what you describe. Car's in the garage right now, half done. In my mind, if you're going to pull the CDR-24, might as well get rid of the Bose junk at the same time. And if you're doing the amp, those 1 and 2 Ohm speakers aren't going to work very well either. So I'm doing a full gut & replace, and adding a backup camera while I'm in there. I'll be starting a thread in the next couple of days to document the issues I came across, to help out the next guy...

-Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Slip,

I'm in the middle of exactly what you describe. Car's in the garage right now, half done. In my mind, if you're going to pull the CDR-24, might as well get rid of the Bose junk at the same time. And if you're doing the amp, those 1 and 2 Ohm speakers aren't going to work very well either. So I'm doing a full gut & replace, and adding a backup camera while I'm in there. I'll be starting a thread in the next couple of days to document the issues I came across, to help out the next guy...

-Jeff
Jeff,

You'd be be shocked at how great the stock BOSE speakers sound with a quality multi-channel amplifier (JL 6 Channel in my Cayman). Its also a much simpler install vs taking off the door panels and trying to access the rear speakers. Raising the OHM can simply be accomplished by wiring in series. Are you going to be at Werks Reunion in Monterey? If so let's meet up, I'd be glad to give you a test in my car.

Cheers,

Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slip,

-Jeff
Jeff -

I'm looking forward to your write up! I haven’t pulled the trigger yet... What head unit / amp did you go with?

Frank -

Can you also share the head unit / amp you went with? This seems to be the way I am leaning (keeping the speakers).

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jeff,

You'd be be shocked at how great the stock BOSE speakers sound with a quality multi-channel amplifier (JL 6 Channel in my Cayman). Its also a much simpler install vs taking off the door panels and trying to access the rear speakers. Raising the OHM can simply be accomplished by wiring in series. Are you going to be at Werks Reunion in Monterey? If so let's meet up, I'd be glad to give you a test in my car.

Cheers,

Frank
No doubt. Each piece you replace will make a noticeable improvement. But I figure if a job's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. :p

No, I'm on the east coast, so I won't make the Werks Reunion. Seriously jealous of you guys with Porsches on the west coast. Great roads AND Laguna Seca, lol...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jeff -

I'm looking forward to your write up! I haven’t pulled the trigger yet... What head unit / amp did you go with?
I went with a Pioneer AVH-4200, full size display, everything but Nav. I went with this one because Pioneer has good Android integration with their App Radio and other features. Amp is a JL HD900/5. I only needed 5 channels because I'm driving JL C5-635 3-way fronts (2 channels), JL C2-400x coaxial rears (2 channels), and a JL stealthbox (13" subwoofer).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jeff -

Frank -

Can you also share the head unit / amp you went with? This seems to be the way I am leaning (keeping the speakers).

Thanks!
Steve
Hey Steve,

My setup includes an Alpine iLX-007 Head Unit and JL Audio XD 600/6v2. I added the JL Audio external gain controller also.

I wired the front and back speakers to their own channels on the amplifier (channels 1 through 4). The door woofers and floor sub are wired in series, connected to Chanel's 5 and 6 'Bridged' together on the amplifier. This raises impedance load for the woofers while allowing the amp to give more power for all 3 woofers.

A note: to utilize the passenger side floor subwoofer you will want to disassemble the speaker, bypass the internal amp, and re-wire it to use as a normal speaker. Don't worry about bypassing the internal amp, as you will now be using the JL amp for power. The JL external gain controller is wired to control channels 5 & 6 only, thus allowing for greater control of the woofers vs using the head unit alone.

I ran the mic discreetly to sit behind the steering wheel, in front of the gauge cluster. Additionally I ran a lightning cable for my iPhone into the center console. You will need 3 sets of RCA cables to connect everything between the head unit and amplifier.

Jeff: Man I'm really curious how the stealth box is going to sound.. I was contemplating one originally also. I'm sure it will be incredible, congrats!

Best of luck to you both with the installs.

Cheers,

Frank

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recommend you develop a budget first. You could easily spend $1500 to $2500 and still get a system that doesn't sound much better than a less expensive system.

I put a system in my boxster for about $750 and includes touch screen head unit Bluetooth, back up cam, navigation, new amp, harnesses, bezel...

Sounds great, phone connects and sounds great. I have specs on what I did in a previous post

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
The question is whether to keep the Bose (investing the adapters for the fiber optic cable) or just bypass the Bose and put in new speakers with the head unit? How can I tell if my issues are head unit, Bose amp, wiring, or speakers? I’m figuring it’s a best guess and roll the dice option but thought I’d reach out to this experienced team first.

Your advice and ideas are appreciated.
Here's one thing I'll share...look at the Bose speakers compared to quality aftermarket speakers....

Rears

Door mid:

Door woofer:

That Bose woofer is an somewhat odd, ultra low profile, inverted speaker. Magnet and pole piece on the front side. Big tradeoff to try to get to 8" I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.