Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Boxster S - 987, 3.2 L.

I have owned my 2005 Boxster now for 1 month. i have an intermittent charging issue. Sometimes my charging is low (13.2) the dashboard warning comes light goes. When its charging properly its at about 14.1V and no light. When it isn't charging i can tell because the restarts are very very slow. I assume that if it was an alternator or voltage regulator it would be all the time. Any suggestions

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is it load related, i.e., does voltage drop when you have lights or other high current accessories on and are idling, or does it just happen randomly irrespective of load / engine speed? If load / engine speed related you may have lost an alternator diode (reduced charging capacity). Otherwise it may be a loose connection somewhere, ground or power, that sometimes makes a poorer connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks danschy for reaching out! It happens randomly irrespective of engine load / speed. Aside from removing the alternator, is there anything i can check to see if its the alternator or not?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
How old is your battery? I'd have that checked first. You could have a cell failing. And failing batteries in our cars cause all kinds of weird things to happen, unlike most cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the battery, it checked out fine. i went out last nite and drove around for an hour or so. When i got home i checked the charging, it was charging at 13.1-13.3 volts, the meter was jumping around with the range mentioned. THE WEIRD THING IS THAT MY "BATTERY/CHARGING" LIGHT ON THE DASH DID NOT COME ON. i ordered a voltage regulator and when i get the problem, again i will try it. Not sure whats going on.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,673 Posts
** UPDATE *** I had the alternator checked, it was good. I found a loose ground wire from engine to chassis. its now 14.2 Volts. Thank God, I found the problem!!
Thanks for sharing your solution. It's certain to help someone else down the road who experiences similar symptoms. I'm glad it was a simple fix!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts