Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to purchasing a 2006 or 2007 Caynman S automatic. I would rather have the manual but need to compromise with my other half. This will not be a daily driver and I have seen several with under 20000 miles in my price range. I have not seen and reviews or comments on the S performance with a automatic. Any one have one that can give me some in-site? The last Porsche I owned was a 91 C4. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
The Tiptronic version is a little heavier, and a tad slower in the published 0-60 and quarter mile times. Other than that, I don't think there should be a lot difference performance wise, at least not with respect to handling. With some performance mods (exhaust, plenum, DME reprogramming) it can be as fast or faster than a stock Gen 1 CS with MT.

Since this is my first Porsche, I can't really compare it to older models, but I suspect that you would find the overall performance and handling superior to a '91 911. The Tip is less involving for a driver than a MT, but I think it is one of the better "manumatic" trannys I've driven. The downshifts are pretty fast, but the upshifts do lag a bit. If you can find a Tip with sport chrono, then you can take advantage of slightly faster upshifts.

Are you sure your "other half" will want to drive the car? I bought a Tip for much the same reason . . . however, after driving it a couple of times early on, my wife has no desire to drive it at all. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She says yes. But in reality who knows. This has been a discussion back and forth for a while. Also I just sold a Alfa Spider and I was getting tired of shifting if stuck in Houston traffic. I will look for the sport chrono any other recommendations? It being used the right options will be hard to find.

The Tiptronic version is a little heavier, and a tad slower in the published 0-60 and quarter mile times. Other than that, I don't think there should be a lot difference performance wise, at least not with respect to handling. With some performance mods (exhaust, plenum, DME reprogramming) it can be as fast or faster than a stock Gen 1 CS with MT.

Since this is my first Porsche, I can't really compare it to older models, but I suspect that you would find the overall performance and handling superior to a '91 911. The Tip is less involving for a driver than a MT, but I think it is one of the better "manumatic" trannys I've driven. The downshifts are pretty fast, but the upshifts do lag a bit. If you can find a Tip with sport chrono, then you can take advantage of slightly faster upshifts.

Are you sure your "other half" will want to drive the car? I bought a Tip for much the same reason . . . however, after driving it a couple of times early on, my wife has no desire to drive it at all. :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have you thought about a base 09 with PDK? The horsepower is really close 265 vs 295 and PDK is a really good gearbox. Give both a test drive.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I have an '06 CS Tip and I like it. It is my DD so I prefered the Tip. As a 'for fun' car though, I probably would have gone with a manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you looking at the 06's at Expo motorcars?
The ones I have see at Expo were manual transmissions. There is one in Addison, Tx Silver automatic that is in my price range. I am about two to three months away from pulling the trigger and want to stay at or under $35K. I would love to get a PKD but it will be way above 40K.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I had a 2006 CS Tip and was very happy with it. The car was my daily driver and much better for me than a manual in rush hour traffic. Now I have a 2009 PDK and the difference is amazing...but if that is out of your budget reach, I would easily recommend a tip. Great cars!

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
She says yes. But in reality who knows. This has been a discussion back and forth for a while. Also I just sold a Alfa Spider and I was getting tired of shifting if stuck in Houston traffic. I will look for the sport chrono any other recommendations? It being used the right options will be hard to find.
Frank:

Here's a recommendation: Avoid 19" wheels. Get some nice looking 18's. There are more tires available and they cost less. The ride is better.

If you get 19's on a Gen 1 car, be sure the car also has PASM. Otherwise, the ride will be punishing on bad roads. 19's look great, but they will beat you up without PASM.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the input, it really helps. Now to find the right car, at the right price:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought an 08 caman s tiptronic 11 months ago and have over 16,000 miles.
I bought the tiptronic becouse of my wife. She has about 10 miles behind the wheel. That said I am so happy I went with the tiptronic I use "manual mode" 100% of the time and is awesome. I paid 52,000 for an 08 new(129mi) in 2/09 and the sticker was 66,700. I think you could find a great deal now. Again, I love the tiptronoc. Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought an 08 caman s tiptronic 11 months ago and have over 16,000 miles.
I bought the tiptronic becouse of my wife. She has about 10 miles behind the wheel. That said I am so happy I went with the tiptronic I use "manual mode" 100% of the time and is awesome. I paid 52,000 for an 08 new(129mi) in 2/09 and the sticker was 66,700. I think you could find a great deal now. Again, I love the tiptronoc. Good luck!
Did you get to drive it today or yesterday?:) I mean so much snow:(:(

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also purchased our CaymanS with the tip, for my wife. We both enjoy driving the tip transmission. As our vehicle is not tracked, we find that there is plenty of power for our weekend road trips. No regrets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts