Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Cayman has developed a fault that re-occurs after a couple of days. Durametric says P0018. Which matches up with the link from Planet 9 here - http://www.planet-9.com/987-dme-diagnostic-odbii-codes-2005-06/54362-p0018.html

The details of the code are at the bottom of this post.

I can clear the fault with the durametric, but it comes back after a couple of days. The engine is not down on power that I can tell. I had a look at the live values from the durametric. After clearing the code I watched the reading "camshaft postion 2 deviation" move from 0 is to -9.23. This change in value occurred when I am revved the engine, so I think that this is the cam shaft adjusting its value. It then stuck pretty much there,but I think if I continued revving the engine it would have moved closer to -10. The other two camshaft position values (can't remember their exact names) - seemed to move normally with revs.

My thoughts at this point are:
Possible intermittent camshaft sensor - cheap and easy change to try.
Change oil and filter and inspect - it is due a change

Does any one have any advice on this?

Thanks
Turnero

Position of crankshaft in relation to intake camshaft

NOTE
This fault is entered if there is a permanent deviation from the nominal
value of 10° camshaft angle.

Diagnostic conditions
Battery positive voltage 10 ... 16 V
Engine idling
Camshaft adaptation has taken place
No fault in camshaft sensor
No fault in crankshaft sensor

Possible fault causes

Camshaft sensor faulty (internal phase shift)
Solenoid valve for camshaft adjustment soiled (does not close fully)
Timing set incorrectly

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oh wow - people have mentioned this deviation could be an indication of total IMS failure.

The sensors themselves are easy to replace btw. I see a Bosch costs about $60. You could try swapping side to side and see if the error changes sides as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow - people have mentioned this deviation could be an indication of total IMS failure.

The sensors themselves are easy to replace btw. I see a Bosch costs about $60. You could try swapping side to side and see if the error changes sides as well.
Hi Jeff, thanks for the info. Do you know if there are any checks I can do to determine if there is IMS failure? The engine make no untoward noises and has no misfires, but I don't want to be firing it up if I have a potential IMS failure on my hands.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
+1 on the oil change and filter analysis. Do the cheap stuff (relatively ) first.

The other thing that I've read about is the chain guides wear giving you cam shaft deviation. That wear was accompanied by a build up of plastic chain guide bits in the oil filter.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs guys. I have the camshaft sensor getting delivered tomorrow, and have oil and a filter ready to go. Fingers crossed the contents of the old filter look alright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts