Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Just wanted to share a quick story. After a few months of looking, I came to purchase a 2006 Cayman S. I flew into SC and drove it back to my home in MI. It was an incredible experience. An 11 hour drive out of the gate in the Cayman S was a fantastic way to develop an understanding of the car in all traffic conditions. A very broad torque band made for fabulous acceleration in any gear, which makes for great highway cruising. More aggressive driving on the Blue Ridge parkway with some interesting switch backs was a true joy. I never moved the tach past 5, yet the power felt epic. The six speed manual was heavenly to stir through and the throaty engine behind one's shoulders makes the driving experience very visceral. Top end acceleration is immense as the flat six pulls exceptionally strong well into the 130's with seemingly bottomless thrust. I didn't take it any higher, though there was certainly more to give.

I was shopping a BMW 1 series/ BMW M coupe / BMW 335I and the Cayman S. I couldn't be happier with the vehicle. Hoping to post a few pics soon. Really looking forward to many more drives ahead.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Welcome to the club brother..... I feel an instant connection to your soul because I am one of the few (maybe many) people that can totally understand and connect with your story. I am actually a little envious of your ride home in your new CS. I've always dreamed of buying a Porsche far away, and learning it on the way home across country.

We'll see you around the forums. Don't be intimidated, we love to talk, discuss and disagree. You'll fit in nicely because in your heart, you are in love with the Cayman. That make everything else insignificant.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Great first post! It makes me won't to go out to the shop and go cruise the cayman...Welcome to a great site:cheers:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Over two months of searching for a Cayman S I was hoping, really planning, to find one somewhere far from home so I could have a long first drive to get completely immersed in the car. Instead I ended up buying one about 45 minutes from here. I'm also a little envious of your opportunity to drive your CS long distance to begin your ownership experience.
Now that I have mine, there's nothing better going somewhere, anywhere, in my Cayman and feeling the urgency of its acceleration, the smooth steering and clear messages that come through, the confident cornering and powerful brakes--sorry, I'm going out for a drive right now.
BW

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Tim:

I bought my '06 CS a couple months ago. It was in Savannah, GA and I live near Chicago. My wife flew down with me and we picked the thing up at a Honda dealer down there. Long story. It was immaculate with about 16,000 miles on it. We had a truly fabulous time driving it home.

Enjoy the car. I can tell you for sure, after two months, it's still great to own and drive.

-Six

Arctic Silver/Black;Sport Steering Wheel; PCM2.1w/nav; CDR-4 CD Changer, Sport Chrono II, PASM; 6-speed manual; Heated Seats; 19" Carrera S wheels; Bose with Stuffed and Recently Souble-Stuffed and Lined Sub; Porsche Twin-Round Pipe Exhaust Tip.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tim:

I bought my '06 CS a couple months ago. It was in Savannah, GA and I live near Chicago. My wife flew down with me and we picked the thing up at a Honda dealer down there. Long story. It was immaculate with about 16,000 miles on it. We had a truly fabulous time driving it home.

Enjoy the car. I can tell you for sure, after two months, it's still great to own and drive.

-Six

Arctic Silver/Black;Sport Steering Wheel; PCM2.1w/nav; CDR-4 CD Changer, Sport Chrono II, PASM; 6-speed manual; Heated Seats; 19" Carrera S wheels; Bose with Stuffed and Recently Souble-Stuffed and Lined Sub; Porsche Twin-Round Pipe Exhaust Tip.

I was shopping for my Cayman back in late April, if I recall, when I saw that one. I called the dealership and they told me it had been sold the day before. Glad to see it went to a fellow member.

For the OP. I too bought my car ot of state, in PA. Drove it down to Boone, NC to see some family and spent a couple of days driving through the mountains. I fell in love HARD. I then had a nice long drive back to MA. What a way to bond with the car. :burnout: :dance:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
[ I've always dreamed of buying a Porsche far away, and learning it on the way home across country.

Years ago I did that. San Jose California to Rochester, NY in a 928. Fabulous!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts