Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and already finding it helpful (thanks!).

Here's my short story: I'm not hard-pressed to buy right this moment, however, I started in the daily-driver market for a new 2010 Nissan 370z (Touring + Sport) which weighs in right around $40k. I went to kick the tires of a Cayman realizing that it was possible to find a used S in that ballpark.

What do you think of this deal? It's a nice specimen, but it's also 4 years old and out of warranty.

Cayman S
Mileage well south of 10k
Heated sport seats, leather options
Very clean, good paint
Single owner, garaged

It's at $39k at the moment, no CPO and no service contract / 3rd party warranty included in that price.

I'm not happy at that price, and I think they can do better. What do you think I can offer? I'd like to see it a lot closer to $36k. Like, say, $36k. :eek:

Here's the extra catch: They're offering a 3yr third-party extended warranty (service contract) for about $3k, up to a 5yr at $4250. Totally bumper to bumper, but a $200 deductible per incident. I don't want to buy the car as-is, so I'm into it an extra $3k at minimum up to maybe the full $4250. I figure there's gravy in there they can share in the negotiation.

What do you think? I'd like to see something like $36k, with me also paying for the service contract. I think they can find a deal in that...what do you guys think? Or maybe I should be asking for CPO (and for them to bring it up to that spec) only?

I'm a newbie, just happened to walk right in to a good specimen on Visit 1. Any help is appreciated to sort out if I'm looking at something possibly good here, thanks.

Bottom line, though, I have to be comfortable with the deal to buy now. Could wind up signing something tomorrow if they can do that for me, but I need some extra experience/knowledge from the experts here.

:thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I'll assume that this car is at a Porsche certified dealership! The price too me sounds good at any where around 37-40k.ANd the price on the 3rd party warranty is well within acceptable.I would question and look into the history of the cars maintenance,even though the miles are low.Check to see if any service bulletin fixes have been performed.Have a Porsche dealer run a scan and check for over revs.ANd also check the reputation and history of the 3rd party warranty company.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good feedback so far. Yes, it seemed like I was generally getting a fair shake, at least before the negotiating on the final pricing gets going.

The dealer is a certified dealer, yes, lots of volume.

As for the CPO, I think it's twofold. On their side, they don't want to deal with tires and such. The other aspect seems to be that the car is out of warranty, so a CPO would only cover 2 years (100,000 miles, which obviously won't happen). I think they might work that in if I really pressed them, but it's not this dealer's approach. The 3rd party option gives them some ability offer 3, 4, or 5 years of coverage for my benefit, and slightly less hassle / things to do on their end, and probably some better margins for them. Seems fair enough a way to go, though like I said I think there's extra margin there that can be shared out between us for a good deal.

As reasonable as this is all sounding (assuming they eventually do come down to where I want the cash gap between my down, trade, and their Cayman), I'm starting to consider putting it off and starting a search for a non-S Cayman to make myself feel a bit better about it. As I just posted elsewhere, I have a MV Agusta Brutale in the garage for when I need to feel my neck snapped back...the Cayman is going to wind up doing duty as a daily driver and it's the handling, style, quality, and basic poise I'm really after.

What's the real dollar difference when comparing apples to apples, S to non-S, for Cayman a couple years old? If it's a good $4k or so, I think that's the direction I might eventually head.

Any insight/opinion on these thoughts? Much appreciated, as I go back to the dealer tonight to decide to act now, or to walk and see.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What does KBB and NADA say? The price of 40k no CPO sounds high. The 3-4250 for a 3rd party also seems high, but what do I know. I bought one of those years ago, and I negotiated the hell out of it. It almost sounds like you're concerned about the dealer's margins, etc. Don't be! Go in there trying to get the VERY BEST DEAL you can. Remember it's a buyer's market, not a seller's.

As for the maintenance, many of the services are time bound as well. Like they said, make sure these have been completed IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MANUFACTURER'S SPECS and that the records are accurate and up to date. I wouldn't hesitate to walk away from a car with a sketchy/unverifiable maintenance history. If you were to buy a pre '09 garden variety Cayman, I would make sure it has PASM. The 6th gear on a 265 hp engine really makes a difference- a big difference! Keep us posted! But I thin k the bottom line is not to fall in love with a car. There are a zillion out there!

Froggy

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't think I'd pay for a 3rd-party warranty - CPO or nothing at all. The third parties have poor track records and deductables really hurt the cost-effectiveness of them. I'd negotiate the deal with CPO.

I think you got the right idea - no way I'd trade my Cayman S for new 370Z (or any other sports car on the new market at the $40K price level.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.