Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
send my 06 CS (6-speed) in for the service and get 2009 Boxster (Auto, no Boxster S, has 260hp) as loaner car

after driving the boxster for a week, i found out

Boxster has much fast engine response. for example rev from 0-3000 rpm, it will only take less than 1/2 sec. My cayman S will take like 3/4 sec (a small lag occure when i quickly floor the gas padel, engine will then rev after).

Another example is when i quickly floor the gas padel of my 06 CS and release it as fast as i can, it will only reach 2000 rpm. 2009 Boxster will reach 3000 rpm which is 30% quick or faster response.

don't know is because of DFI or my 06 CS has problem.
I do see there is TSB for "engine is slow to respond"
any one has the same problem? or has got this TSB?

--------------------------------
2006 PORSCHE CAYMAN S ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Service Bulletin 268746

NHTSA: Action Number: 10020269 Service Bulletin Number: 268746

Report Date:
Jun 18, 2006 Component:

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary:
Engine response - driver's subjective opinion: engine is slow to respond. *tt
------------------------------

by the way, 2009 Boxster feels much quicker, because of the gear ratio, unlike Cayman first gear is 45, second gear is 75, Boxster has 35,65, 80....so i can feel the kick in every speed range.
in my 06 CS, i can't really feel the kick after 70 mph (end of second gear) and third gear and up (at least comparing to the Boxster). I have tried to floor my CS after 70 mph in 3-6 gear, all the gears give almost similar acceleration(engine sould is getting louder when down shift from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3, but not the speed).

and at the last, the 2009 Boxster's handleing is much batter than my 06 CS, when i was making turns, i can't feel the Boxster is ....don't know how to say this, but when turning, the car didn't sink on one side and rise on other. felt the car evenly stay on the road.

·
Registered
394 Posts
for throttle response: Get a sprint booster or an ECU reflash from softronic, in that order of price...

Handling: well, a 2009 might have newer suspension, not worn out, better tuned, a different suspension altogether (PASM vs normal shcoks), also wheels and tires... compare apple for apple...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
your issues with your engine response shouldn't have anything to do with the type of fuel injection in the new boxster non-s as i understand the new non-s models still have port injection and not dfi...only the "s" models have the new dfi engines.

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
620 Posts
Have you cleaned yet your MAF sensor?

I just cleaned mine (+/- 39k miles on my car) and the difference was amazing..!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know about your c.s. but, my 08' c.s. has 5 gears. And for me, 4 is good enough. I do understand what your saying about the, third to fourth gear pull, some what. But as I read your post you mention rpms. Very low rpms. I don't think my car has ever seen rpms below four and a half thousand before I or the tiptronic, makes a gear change.From what I've learned here, is that, the vario cam in my 08' doesn't even kick in till about five and a half grand and when it kicks, it puts out way more than you think is left before the next gear. So maybe try stretching it out a little more than you normally would. As far as the handling, " follow the force my son". What I really mean is, go to a desolate area where you won't hurt yourself, the car, and someone else and take it all the way to the limit. It will be a blast with the 09'. Enjoy the new skin....

·
Registered
806 Posts
--------------------------------
2006 PORSCHE CAYMAN S ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Service Bulletin 268746

NHTSA: Action Number: 10020269 Service Bulletin Number: 268746

Report Date:
Jun 18, 2006 Component:

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary:
Engine response - driver's subjective opinion: engine is slow to respond. *tt
------------------------------
Is this an actual TSB? I Googled it and found the exact quote above, but it might be worth some effort to find out more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts