Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Porsche buyer and don't want to regret the choice I end up making, so I'm looking for some advice.

Two options at the same purchase price are an '06 Cayman S with 45k or a '10 Boxster Base with 35k. Both in excellent condition.

Should I count the Cayman out because its 4 years older with more miles? Although, I've heard people buy the base models and feel like the car doesn't have enough umph. In addition, the convertibles seem to have less interior space.

Anything you post can help with this decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Well 1st, you posted a 987 question in a 981 forum. 2nd, you need to decide whether you want a convert (Boxster) or a coupe (Cayman). There are advantages and disadvantages to both and it is a personal choice. Once you have that sorted out - then get into the real details of the available cars. You don't have to make your choice between just these two cars. There are plenty of them available - take your time, get educated, and look at as many as possible.

Between these two, keep in mind that there is only about 15 hp difference between the Gen1 S and Gen2 Base.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Agree with Schwerer that you need to figure out if you want a coupe or a convertible before you can even begin.
I own both (an '06 Cayman S and an '09 Boxster base) because they are very different cars and I want what each one provides.
Some days are coupe days, and some days are convertible days. It's hard to explain, but you know it when you experience it.

An '06 Cayman S has 295HP whereas a base '09-'10 Boxster has 255HP, so the difference is 40HP and it is a noticeable difference.
I detect the difference between the two mostly in the torque though, finding the S slightly easier to drive around town without winding up the engine.
Neither is really underpowered until you take it to a track. And raw horsepower is not what Porsches have ever been about anyway. It is all about how they drive, transition, make you feel, etc.
I would recommend a 987.2 (2009-2012) Boxster over a 987.1 ('05-08) due to several upgrades, mostly to the engine/trans., and usually a newer car needs less in the way of maintenance or repairs.
Boxster does have less interior space than the Cayman, and if that is your criteria take a look at the difference.
A final observation that I will share is that driving the Cayman is like "wearing" the car. It is quick, responsive, mechanically alive (including engine/trans noise), and very confidence inspiring.
Driving the Boxster is more like riding in a car that is quick, responsive, and where the exterior and interior boundaries of the car blur. There is less perceived mechanical noise, more ambient noise (wind, dogs barking, the next vehicle over, etc.). To me it is more peaceful and restful to drive, and the sense of control at moderate speeds is nearly the same as the coupe.
To me the Boxster would not be my choice for taking to the track although the performance numbers can be very close between the two given the same engines, tires, etc. It's just more the difference in how each car "feels" to me.
Suggest you test each and see how they feel to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts