Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered what or if there is a "Best" RPM range to launch a 6-Speed Manual Cayman S for aggressive 0-60 times (not to the point of burning the clutch up tho). I know that the PDK models do it around 6000 RPM but that's with launch control.

Gary

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
j patterson's cautions are well worth heeding. And once you do hit 60, our cars can then execute a clean turn while the other guy is plowing the pavement. Give me a great handling car over raw dragster power any day.

To answer your question, though, you at least need to be up on the cam but not so high that the clutch burns up. I'd say about 4500-5000 rpm would be ideal, but you'll still need to feather the clutch a bit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
In four years of ownership I've never dropped the clutch at high RPM.
I think I tried one run at about 3000-3500, experienced axle hop and never did it again. As noted above, it just felt very abusive to the car.
It was not like my old Mustang GT or Dodge Charger.....
What I enjoy in the Cayman is nailing the throttle from a rolling start in 1st gear and winding it out through at least 3rd, if not 4th.
Sometimes if I want to impress a rider that's with me, I will then jump on the brakes hard. The massive, but well controlled deceleration is just about as fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like you need tires with less grip. I talk a lot of crap about how my Goodyears are no where near the level of the Pzeros. But I actually enjoy the drive. I was just coming into work making a left at a light and the streets were clear. I gave it some gas and I could hear and feel the back end sliding. I gave it more gas and shifted through 2nd and 3rd. I'm an F1 driver. LOL I never went above 5K. Now that's poor traction although it's in the 20s. My wife and I were out a couple weekends ago with the top down (60s) and I goosed it from a stop light and it stepped sideways in first (I was shocked). I knew that I had full traction and it wouldn't slip (wrong). It's surprising how far the PASM will let you go in Sport+. My point is that less traction will get you into the power band quicker without shocking or damaging the drive train or suspension. It's probably slower but it so much fun starting from a stop with the ability to burn through 1st gear without bogging down. With the PDK you can shift into 2nd and it keeps going. I'm sure you can do the same with a manual power shifting. I had a Z4M (too much slip) that would burn through 1st easily but I was never comfortable shifting 1st - 2nd while it's spinning.

I'm not talking about tire shredding, squiggly tracks in the street, V8 muscle car burnouts (Hellcat?). These cars aren't designed for that nor do I want it (driving in the snow). We're talking just enough slip to allow the engine to rev up quicker and get off the line.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I goosed it from a stop light and it stepped sideways in first (I was shocked). I knew that I had full traction and it wouldn't slip (wrong). It's surprising how far the PASM will let you go in Sport+.
I think you mean PSM. :)

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Something to keep in mind, the reviewers that test the acceleration times really do beat on the cars. I have personally no intention to dump my clutch at ~4000 rpm just to see if I can get to 60mph under 5 seconds. It is my car, I've paid for it and I will not abuse it like that. BTW around 4k is considered to be the "optimal" launch RPM for our cars...it is not kind to the cars clutch/drivetrain though. You cannot launch it like that and not expect things to wear and eventually break.

I rather prefer to watch others do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N3GEahwOrI

From that video we can conclude that a stock 981BS 6-sp can hit 60mph in 4.4 sec. If launched like in the video, and on a proper drag strip. Your car should be able to do about the same since there's only a 20hp difference between the 987.1 CS and 981 BS and more or less equal weight. 0-60 is mostly about launch and traction, as you can see from the vid even the "mighty" 991 performs the same to 60mph as the 981 despite having a HP advantage. Question is only how far you are willing to push your car's drivetrain and clutch to achieve it. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts