Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some help, quick! :helpme:

I'm looking to buy a sweet 2006 CS. It's in great shape, but has some unique mods, one of them being a roll cage behind the driver and passenger seats.

The seller says the previous owner who installed the roll cage also disconnected the airbags. He doesn't know why, but was guessing that the roll cage could prevent the airbags from deploying properly, or worse, cause more harm than help.

My guess is, the previous owner was setting up the car to run on a track, and had the airbags disable just so they wouldn't accidentally pop while racing it on the track. If I can't get the airbag system connected for whatever reason this is going to be a deal breaker for me because my state inspection requires a working airbag system.

Any input or experience with roll cages is much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance. :burnout:

-Cmoney

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Does it have the factory seats, or are they race seats/GT3 seats with holes for harnesses? If they are factory seats, there is no reason to disable any of the airbags. If they are aftermarket seats, then it is likely that the side thorax airbags are disabled because these are built into the factory seats. Also the passenger weight sensor would be disabled. If it is a serious track car, then maybe the previous owner disabled all of the airbags. Hopefully they were left intact but disabled correctly using a Durametric Pro of the Porsche dealers PIWIS computer.
I have a Heigo roll bar and Sparco seats. My front and side airbags are still active, but the thorax airbags are disabled as they are no longer in the car. I also added a passenger airbag deactivation switch so I can turn on or off the passenger airbags depending on if there is a passenger in the car. Do a search and you will find my thread with an explanation of what I did and why.
Do you have any pictures of the car you are looking at?

·
Registered
659 Posts
+1 one on the above and on posting a picture. However there is also another possibility that the previous owner took out the race seats and replaced them with OEM seats from an earlier year without airbags or different airbag connectors. Make sure the roll bar is not pretruding forward past the seats, since that is a safety issue when you are not wearing a race harness and helmet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts