Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2006 Porsche Cayman S tested at a reputable speed shop in the Denver, Co, area. The numbers were not very impressive, and I am looking for feed back from members with expert knowledge in this area. The speed shop did the test only, and I have attached my 4 run results--graphed. Suffice it to say the top number was a mere 256, this after an ECU reflash was done (adverstising stated a gain 'up to 30 hp') for $1000 plus and sending my ECU off for the work for one week. Gas: Shell 91 VPower. Anyone think I should ask for a refund?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, that's true about elevation. But this is only a mile high, not 14k (Mt Evans road). Does anyone have a stock Caymans S from a DynoJet they could send to facilitate this thread? I was more or less looking for guidance and an answer from the Porsche cognoscenti/experts who can definitively answer for the conditions. As advertised...Porsche states 294, then advertised up to 30 for the ECU reflash. Imagine my disappointment at the numbers in the attachment.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Without a baseline dyno run done before the reflash, there is really no way to know how much you gained. Dyno numbers from different dynos are all over the map. There is no way you can compare numbers from Dyno X to numbers from Dyno Y. Do a search and you'll see.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Regardless of the peak HP numbers, how does the car drive now? Many of the flashes seem to greatly improve the low to mid range torque, so the car feels much more responsive. Looking solely at peak HP numbers really doesn't mean much. You want to focus on the increased area under both the HP and torque curves.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dyno'ed because I wasn't really that impressed with my 1k investment...And not that I am disappointed being a Cayman S owner at all...I just expected more. I now realize I need to consider the warranty/TPCRacing 987 Cayman S Turbo Kit trade-off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Send me your dynojet files and I'll send you mine. RS 60 spyder dynojet baseline runs PSE in off position.

I'' try to post picture, but it is easier to directly compare if we swap actual runfiles. You can get winpep viewer from dynojet web site for free. PM me for email address. Mine are at about 10 feet above sea level, but SAE correction should address the barometric pressure difference. Looks like you gained.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
What flash did you use?

This is very alarming!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You really need to have a before and after dyno to verify any gains.

You should be able to see based on previous stock dyno charts posted (do a search) if there is a difference in power and torque curves.

If the power was down to start with then you can't blame the remap, but in this case you don't know what you started with.

These days you can't beat a proper tune (i.e. tweak of the mapping) on a dyno, which is tuning based on a known tweaked map but then adapted to suit your specific car, rather than a generic map (i.e. one map suits all). Generic maps do have their place especially for DIY options like Softronics or Revo, because of the functionality and availability for all, or for mods like the TPC turbo kit where you want to keep things at safe limits and the few hp down that one car might be against another means little.

30hp sounds like a lot to me for just a generic and you'd expect less generally like 10-15hp or so, and 30 would be with an exhaust and a map I would think.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You could be losing 10%+ of your horsepower because of altitude. There's your 30bhp gain from the flash. Your numbers still seem a little soft for what has been seen from these motors.
Best of luck in figuring this out and optimizing your tune.
BW

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
You could be losing 10%+ of your horsepower because of altitude. There's your 30bhp gain from the flash. Your numbers still seem a little soft for what has been seen from these motors.
Best of luck in figuring this out and optimizing your tune.
BW
When I wore a watch w/ an altimiter / barometer combination, (in denver) I'd typically see an absolute air pressure 15% lower than sea level: ~ 850 mb versus 1000 - 1020 ...

And I recently ret'd to denver in my '06 CS to have a limited-slip differential installed ... my SRP+borla -tuned car felt very strong, even if 15% down on O2.

if the original poster is running the stock exhaust, it's not a surprise that a reflash alone isn't providing more. A freer breathing exhaust really does help a reflashed car -- my softronic flash was accompanied by an upgrade to the intake and exhaust paths.

And Re: *which* reflash was performed - when evaluating my Softronic+borla package I wrote:

Excellence Magazine's guarded mention in the April 2009 article comparing a CS w/ 2 modified 911s - summarizing one author's impressions of the RS350 package:

"... its EVOMSit reprogramming feels like a factory job in refinement terms and, with it, the RS350 kit creates a 3.4 which relishes repeated trips to the redline. While we can't say we feel an extra 40 - 50 horses, the RS350 does feel stronger than a stock S."

Given that they were talking about some of the magazine's sponsors, this seemed like an obligatory, but reserved, endorsement.
from the thread:
SRP + borla first impressions

So - whose flash and do you have an aftermarket exhaust on the car ? time to name names.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, that's true about elevation. But this is only a mile high, not 14k (Mt Evans road). Does anyone have a stock Caymans S from a DynoJet they could send to facilitate this thread? I was more or less looking for guidance and an answer from the Porsche cognoscenti/experts who can definitively answer for the conditions. As advertised...Porsche states 294, then advertised up to 30 for the ECU reflash. Imagine my disappointment at the numbers in the attachment.

I get the impression your confusing "at the crank" hp with "at the wheels" hp. Porsche advertises 294 hp at the crankshaft. The dynojet is giving you hp after all the drivetrain losses which is typically in the 15 to 18% range for rear wheel drive cars and 25% for all wheel drive cars. A 15% loss will give you somewhere around 250 whp, stock, maybe less and then factor in loss of performance for the altitude. You need a base run at stock hp then runs after flash to get any idea of what your actual gains will be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts