Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my factory head unit with a Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT back in 2011. Honestly, I was satisfied with the sound. Of course, the OEM unit had really lowered the bar on that. But it started distorting badly, mainly bass sounds are coming from it and if you give it any volume at all it sounds like the speakers are about to self destruct. I just removed the Pioneer and plugged the OEM unit back in. Same thing. WTF? I'm searching for clues but if anyone could jump start the process by pointing me in the right direction I would appreciated it. Is there an amplifier AFTER the head unit that is maybe screwing up? My goal is just to get back to where I was before it started malfunctioning, unless that means giving Porsche two grand for some part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wilco. That's easy enough to check.

But I think it's the amp, just because I'm seeing so many people have them fail. I pulled the amp and now the garbled sound is gone (still could be the speakers). I'm willing to go off the reservation here and buy a non OEM amp if that's the smart play. I'm reading that the amp drives three channels but all I'm seeing is that the 2 larger speakers in the door are dead without it. This is not a Bose system. Is there another speaker in back somewhere that I'm just being too dense to see?

I will keep the OEM amp so the next guy can put it back in if he wants to. I'm just enough of a heretic to not care about replacing inferior parts when it benefits me. I even still have the OEM radio, just in case.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's easy enough to track down the mating connector to allow an amp bypass (probably the same one as the Bose system, just a few open pins). This thread describes the speakers and where they get their power from in the non-bose system...

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-electronics/12118-speaker-size-non-bose.html

There's also a pair of crossovers somewhere (probably buried in the dash) to split the signal for the front mids and tweeters...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its sounds like a speaker is blown. you can check this visually. Also, if you press the speaker cone in it should move easily and smoothly, if there are problems you'll feel them when pushing in the speaker cone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.