Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Cayman with 29,000 miles. I store the car each winter. I usually leave the hood partially open so if the battery goes dead, I can still open the hood. Well, I left the hood closed this time and now I have a dead battery. I tried the fuse panel jump trick and that did not work. I studied the emergency release cable online, took out my plastic fender liner and tire and the emergency release cable is not there. Now what? I don't know if there are any other options??? The only other thing I can think of is using one of those cigarette lighter chargers to generate enough charge to use the hood lever next to the seat. Is that something I should look into? Will that hurt any of the electronics? I would imagine from that point forward, I would have to get much more invasive to get at the battery. Any other suggestions? I'm getting close to being at a loss.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cigarette lighter charger for at least a day should put enough charge into the battery to let you activate the latch. You do need to find out why the fuse box jump doesn't work. Makes me wonder if a major fuse is blown preventing power from getting through. Might not be the battery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely the battery. I agree, I need to find out why the panel doesn't work. I took every fuse out(and there were a lot of them!)to see if any were blown and they were all good. If it doesn't hurt my electronics, I probably have no choice but to try the cigarette lighter charger

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had similar issues with jumper to fuse panel. Check you are getting it earthed properly. Make sure your on bare metal i used the door steiker plate.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you check that the jump battery wasn't flat as well? Did you use the key fob, or the hood lever to try to open the hood? My noob understanding is that the hood lever will open the hood. I don't know if the key buttons would.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same issue, I was only able to open the frunk using the key for some reason.
It's my understanding that this is how it's supposed to work. You apply 12 volts at the fuse panel and then use the button on your key fob to pop the frunk. Don't know why it works that way, but I ran into this before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Cayman with 29,000 miles. I store the car each winter. I usually leave the hood partially open so if the battery goes dead, I can still open the hood. Well, I left the hood closed this time and now I have a dead battery. I tried the fuse panel jump trick and that did not work. I studied the emergency release cable online, took out my plastic fender liner and tire and the emergency release cable is not there. Now what? I don't know if there are any other options??? The only other thing I can think of is using one of those cigarette lighter chargers to generate enough charge to use the hood lever next to the seat. Is that something I should look into? Will that hurt any of the electronics? I would imagine from that point forward, I would have to get much more invasive to get at the battery. Any other suggestions? I'm getting close to being at a loss.
I just went through this today! My fuse panel jump also did not work and it was definitely getting power from a jump, spark and all.
Had to do the driver side inner fender removal and cable pull. I'm sure that pull is there, you just didn't see it? Need to turn your wheel all the way in (better yet remove, but not necessary and if like me, the lug key is in the frunk!) Huge PITA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you check that the jump battery wasn't flat as well? Did you use the key fob, or the hood lever to try to open the hood? My noob understanding is that the hood lever will open the hood. I don't know if the key buttons would.
I'm so glad you mentioned this. I was unsuccessfully trying to open the frunk off the positive lead in the fuse panel. I read this and tried the key fob & it worked first try. The battery is pretty low so I an curious if it works normally once charged. I know these cars have weird quirks & thats part of the fun, but who thought this was a good design? Honestly, I'd like to know why they intentionally did this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm so glad you mentioned this. I was unsuccessfully trying to open the frunk off the positive lead in the fuse panel. I read this and tried the key fob & it worked first try. The battery is pretty low so I an curious if it works normally once charged. I know these cars have weird quirks & thats part of the fun, but who thought this was a good design? Honestly, I'd like to know why they intentionally did this.

FWIW, the quality of the jumper cables and the voltage source makes a big difference when trying to jump start the car via the fuse box. The little handheld battery pack jump boxes seem to work best.

Also, the ability of a dead battery to revive itself is dependent on what type of battery it is. I think AGM batteries can come back from being very deeply discharged (<9 V) with minimal functional loss. I don't think traditional flooded cell batteries tolerate this as well.

Also also, if you have an extremely discharged battery, your alternator may refuse to charge it, so you may need to use a plug in charger to bring the voltage back up. I learned this the hard way.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I had similar problem but I wasn't getting ground until I found it on the door hinge pin
Then hold the key fop until front trunk opens
Needed a day on charger then

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.