Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New here! And first Porsche. (I was a Jag guy, only because my long hockey sticks would fit in a Jag coupe or convertible better than Porsche! I would actually take a stick to dealerships!)

Bought a 2007 Cayman that had hit something with the front of the car.

It needs a front bumper cover, left front fender, left headlight, left headlight mount, left rad and condenser, fan shrouds on both sides, side marker light and other little odds and ends.

Seems to be the perfect car to mod the front clip.

I've seen/read about the GT3 bumper conversions, as well as the 911 997 front conversion.

It also seems to me that used parts for the 911 997 are cheaper and perhaps more plentiful, so I'm thinking this would be the best route to go to get the car back on the road and at the same time, "upgrade" the look a bit. Just some quick research of used parts pricing says it might not cost that much more to do a 911 997 conversion than the original Cayman look.

I'm aware a 911 997 conversion requires fenders, bumper cover, headlights, side markers and I would think headlight mounts, but is there a list of parts required that anyone know of to make that conversion?

Or suggestions on what I could or should do? Worth mentioning is I've done a lot of restorations of old chevies in the past. Frame off. I rebuild engines for myself and there is no job I'd be afraid of tackling. It's all nuts and bolts and learning to me!

Suggestions, guidance would be greatly appreciated! Even great sources for used parts. I'm in Kingston Ontario, 2.5 hours from Toronto, 6 hours from NYC. Having parts shipped to me from anywhere is not an issue.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm doing a similar conversion to my Boxster, putting a GT3-style aftermarket bumper on the front while keeping the 987 headlights. A couple issues I have run into - 1) I needed to change the plastic air "guides" that direct air into the front radiators to the GT3 ones and 2) I'm having to graft into my headlight harness 997 plugs to get my lower fog and turn signals working. The 987 bumpers have only fog lights while 997 bumpers have the turn signals separated.

I looked into doing round 997 headlights, but that seemed a bridge too far for me budget wise. Plus, I want to keep the 987 look from the front.

Another choice you will need is what to do about the front bumper GT3 "smile" vent. You can just cut a hole and put the smile in. Better is to also get the proper trim pieces in the center to route the air up through the "smile". 987s redirect the air downwards. I went with no "smile" vent for mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips lesmurray.

As I have to buy one headlight already, (and I have a good one on the right side I can sell) it's not a budget concern. And both air guides on current set up need to be replaced anyway as they're both damaged.

I can also try to sell the good right side fender, so in the end, a conversion to 911 997 might cost the same or less than buying the parts to keep it 987!

Does anyone have a complete list of parts required to change from 987 to 911 997?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
312 Posts
Do a search as someone has done this before and they list out all the part #s you need to complete the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts