Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Cayman S with 41,000 miles on it. I have a Borla catback exhaust with stock headers/cats. For the past year the car has been throwing a P0421 which is a catalyitic converter warm up error. I swapped the secondary O2 sensors from left to right and it still threw the same code. Its now to the point that when I clear the code it comes back very quickly. It used to take a couple hundred miles.

That leads be to believe that if the secondary sensors were bad it would have switched to a P0431 code.

I think the car has a slightly stronger smell to it only noticeable at startup when backing up. Is it safe to assume that the cats (or at least one) are going bad? Car runs great still.

If this is the case, I am looking for suggestions on what I should do about the cats? Magnaflow makes what they call an OEM Grade Exhaust Manifold with Integrated Catalytic Converter which is only about $400 each.

I am concerned that will be a short lasting part.

Is it worth it to go with something like the Fabspeed 200 cell sport headers at $2800 for the pair? More exhaust note would be welcomed, the borla exhaust sounds awesome as is, and probably even better with more flow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can also get cat/header replacements from magnaflow which seem quite economical. I thought i remembered these being a "higher" flow than stock but I can't seem to find any definite information.

This thread below is about a bad cat on a 2.7l. The OP put a video at the end of the magnaflow headres + x pipe.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...plaints/120154-bad-cat-whatre-my-options.html

edit: did not fully read your post regarding the magnaflow :) OP from the above post did say his mechanic mentioned the quality of the magnaflow parts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Many companies make something that is basically a spacer for the O2 sensor.
Vibrant is one of these companies.
search the internet for
vib11619 or vib11621.

This may help or not. You may also have a short or electrical issue with the plug/connector or a wire.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Don't know where you are at because it is not in the information upper right but here in Canada IIRC the emissions warranty is 10 years...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.