Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed some oil seeping from what looks like between the motor and transmission. It’s not leaking on the floor and since I’ve wiped it, oil has not collected like it’s seen in the pic. Any thoughts on what this might be or where it’s coming from and if I should be worried. Car currently has 80k miles and purchased at 66k miles almost two years ago.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like it could be leaking from the rear main seal or the IMSB seal.

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sounds like it could be leaking from the rear main seal or the IMSB seal.

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yeah, rear main seal seepage is not uncommon. Not a large worry. Keep an eye on how much seepage you find, in the future now that you've wiped it off.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,494 Posts
Have someone that knows these cars look at it and fix it.. if it’s the RMS, that’s normal and fixable, if it’s the IMS on this MY that’s potentially bad… like full motor tear down fix bad… sometimes I wish they had left these motors with a replaceable bearing

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Most likely the rear main seal. I'm told by those who should know because they are under these cars every day, it is very common and not something to worry about unless it starts getting to the garage floor or lowering your oil level. My 2008 get's wiped off a little every year during it's annual maintenance trip. It's been seeping a tiny bit since first noticed in 2017. If it gets worse I'll have it fixed. And IMS failure on the M97 engines (2006-2008) is very rare (less than 1% failure rate) but can cause additional engine damage and requires a complete engine tear down to replace.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,494 Posts
Most likely the rear main seal. I'm told by those who should know because they are under these cars every day, it is very common and not something to worry about unless it starts getting to the garage floor or lowering your oil level. My 2008 get's wiped off a little every year during it's annual maintenance trip. It's been seeping a tiny bit since first noticed in 2017. If it gets worse I'll have it fixed. And IMS failure on the M97 engines (2006-2008) is very rare (less than 1% failure rate) but can cause additional engine damage and requires a complete engine tear down to replace.
Ya, I’ve seen those RMS’s seep for years before replacing that and the clutch…
And the M97 IMS failure, pretty rare… just informing the OP in case he wasn’t aware

1 - 6 of 6 Posts