Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Cayman S that I picked up about 6 months ago. It had 29,000 miles, it currently has just over 33,000 miles.

I know that the oil & filter, air filter, and cabin filter were changed by the dealer I bought it from but I don't have any maintenance records before that. I flushed the brake fluid with my power bleeder soon after I bought the car.

Besides basic oil and air filter changes would anybody change the plugs and the drive belt to simply have piece of mind that its not way over due?

Whats the reason to change the plugs every 4 years on low milage cars?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Do the drive belt and water pump at 40k miles.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know a lot of people say to change the water pump regardless of having problems. Is it truely something that is considered a maintanence item or just one of those problems thats blown out of proportion because of the internet?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, any valid reason to change coil packs when you change spark plugs if everything is running great? When looking at the old coilpacks what would be signs of one that needs to be changed? If one goes bad should all 6 be changed or just the bad one?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I'd replace the belt and that is it.

while you're in there try to "Play" w/ all the pulleys and see if there is any movement.

coils don't need replacing at the same time as plugs unless you know one/more is bad. the plastic clips WILL BREAK tho, so you're best to do it when it is warm to minimize the chances of that.

I'm doing water pump and thermostat (whole housing) in a couple of weeks w/ fresh anti-freeze and new belt. 78K miles. '07 CS.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
k_h_d,

Your plugs have timed out of the four year cycle. Changing them would let you see what shape they are in. You will also get to see the state of the coil packs as a bonus.

I'd also change the trans axle oil, not sure if you have manual or Tiptronic. The Tiptronic is a multilevel PITA to service. And bleed the clutch if you have one ( it shares the brake fluid reservoir ).

Yes the water pump is like a large spark plug. We are supposed to use the Porsche pump rather than aftermarket pumps. No "super" pump has been identified to date.

Good Luck with the car.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts