Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all heard off the dreaded "bore scoring" and IMS failure that these engines suffer with, seems too cause a bit of a debate when it is raised as too whether it is something that we should worry about. I wasn't all that bothered about the faults and just enjoyed my CS as and when i could, driving how it was designed too be and keeping the revs up, not laboring the engine. Recently a friend of mine has had excessive oil consumption on his Cayman S which was later diagnosed as bore scoring in Cylinder 6. Admittedly, his was a tiptronic version of the car which seem too be more common with the problem as they change gear very early and load the engine alot more than the average manual driver. I have decided to have a little splash out on the car too try and prolong its life as much as i can by ordering:

1) Center Radiator and Associated Grills

2) IMS Direct Oil Feed Kit

3) Lower Temperature Thermostat

I will be doing a DIY thread on all but the IMS Direct Oil Feed. Am i being silly and worrying too much, I don't know, but seems a small price too pay too prevent an extremely expensive fault from occuring.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
We all have different levels of risk tolerance. It's always a matter of finding and maintaining the level you feel comfortable at. If the DOF makes you feel better, then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
...Admittedly, his was a tiptronic version of the car...
no such thing as a tiptronic cayman - unless somebody installed one or had one installed in their own car and i cannot imagine why anyone would ever consider doing that. porsche's tiptronic transmissions leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
574 Posts
no such thing as a tiptronic cayman - unless somebody installed one or had one installed in their own car and i cannot imagine why anyone would ever consider doing that. porsche's tiptronic transmissions leave a lot to be desired.
Mmmm, I think you'd be wrong. The 06-08 "automatic" transmission Caymans were Tiptronics. 09 and newer auto trans were PDKs.

Reactions: cheech

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gen 1 Caymans up too 2009 I believe we're tiptronic. Later taken on by the PDK box. I feel I probably am being OTT with the car, but I feel 1k of preventative extras is a great way too help keep faults at bay

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We have all heard off the dreaded "bore scoring" and IMS failure that these engines suffer with, seems too cause a bit of a debate when it is raised as too whether it is something that we should worry about. I wasn't all that bothered about the faults and just enjoyed my CS as and when i could, driving how it was designed too be and keeping the revs up, not laboring the engine. Recently a friend of mine has had excessive oil consumption on his Cayman S which was later diagnosed as bore scoring in Cylinder 6. Admittedly, his was a tiptronic version of the car which seem too be more common with the problem as they change gear very early and load the engine alot more than the average manual driver. I have decided to have a little splash out on the car too try and prolong its life as much as i can by ordering:

1) Center Radiator and Associated Grills

2) IMS Direct Oil Feed Kit

3) Lower Temperature Thermostat

I will be doing a DIY thread on all but the IMS Direct Oil Feed. Am i being silly and worrying too much, I don't know, but seems a small price too pay too prevent an extremely expensive fault from occuring.
You could also consider greatly extending the life and fun of your Cayman by swapping in a 325 hp 3.4L, like the one in my 2014 CS with 3500 miles. I'm interested in swapping for a 3.8L if I can find someone who wants my 3.4. Porsche will only give me $6k for my core swap, and offer more for the smaller engines. So out there somewhere, there must be somebody who wants a 3.4.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You could also consider greatly extending the life and fun of your Cayman by swapping in a 325 hp 3.4L, like the one in my 2014 CS with 3500 miles. I'm interested in swapping for a 3.8L if I can find someone who wants my 3.4. Porsche will only give me $6k for my core swap, and offer more for the smaller engines. So out there somewhere, there must be somebody who wants a 3.4.
What you're proposing isn't economically feasible, given the different engine management systems and other issues to overcome. BGB Motorsports offers a 9A1 conversion for first gen cars for somewhere in the neighborhood of $30k.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm not greedy. Maybe LN engineering Nickies are more than i could expect hahaha

·
Registered
355 Posts
not sure where you are getting your information from. 06-08 are tips and 09 onwards are pdks. whats not to be desired? its plenty capable. also less likely for over revving because the computer will shift up if you hit redline. i see more broken cable posts on the manuals than any tip issues. it may not be as fast as pdk but has been around on porsches for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
not sure where you are getting your information from. 06-08 are tips and 09 onwards are pdks. whats not to be desired? its plenty capable. also less likely for over revving because the computer will shift up if you hit redline. i see more broken cable posts on the manuals than any tip issues. it may not be as fast as pdk but has been around on porsches for quite some time.
Tiptronic is an old technology. PDK sounds sexy. One could go into a bar and tell others how fast the PDK shifts. Some say PDK isn't an automatic, and it's a clutchless manual. Except it really makes no difference to more than half the car owners out there anyway haha

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
As the OP highlighted, the issue for him is that the tips allow the engine to labour more thereby increasing the risk of bore scoring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts