Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. My beautiful 2008 Cayman S has suffered complete engine failure. Unmodified and perfectly dealer maintained, 110k miles, failure happened on track. Porsche dealer in Tucson is offering to install a 'dismantler sourced' engine with 57 k miles and 90 day warranty for $19k. Or the same engine with 1 year warranty for $24k. (they must think its pretty likely to fail!). I am looking for better ideas. Including maybe selling the rolling chassis and starting over (body and interior are in great shape), or building it into something really nice like a 3.8 or 4.0, or just sourcing a better deal on a straight engine replacement. Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Brian.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. If it were possible for you to develop enough mechanical skill to R&R the motor you can do it. As long as you are not diving into the internals it's actually possible. The other thing is to try an independent mechanic vs a dealer. 3rd possible Way is a 3.8. The rolling chassis would be a good start for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
No matter what you do you'll have to weigh the end result- a 9 year old CS, worth in the low 20K range. Personally I'd sell the chassis and part out the motor core. Then get a newer car. You'd spend the same $20K and start all over again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sell roller, youll get 10K for it. If you will pay 24k and worst case scenario have to pay 24k at day 366.. You now have a 10K car (wholesale) or at best a 18k car retail, at best that you just put 24k into. Good luck. 10K plus 24 goes a long way towards a CPO 981.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think if it happened to me I would go with a 3.8 from a 2009+ 997.2 and get the softronic ecu flash or do a 3.4 from a 2009 987.2 that allows you to run it in the 2008 987. Its been done, I wouldn't put in another 987.1 engine though. Complete parts list to do it is on this site. If you can do it yourself looking at 15k. There is a 987.1 3.4 S engine for sale on Ebay right now for under $9k but I figure for the labor may as well upgrade.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think if it happened to me I would go with a 3.8 from a 2009+ 997.2 and get the softronic ecu flash or do a 3.4 from a 2009 987.2 that allows you to run it in the 2008 987. Its been done, I wouldn't put in another 987.1 engine though. Complete parts list to do it is on this site. If you can do it yourself looking at 15k. There is a 987.1 3.4 S engine for sale on Ebay right now for under $9k but I figure for the labor may as well upgrade.
I don't think you can swap a 9A1 engine into a M97 chassis, the ecu/harness is different no?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think you can swap a 9A1 engine into a M97 chassis, the ecu/harness is different no?
Those need to be swapped over as well. $20k or a bit more but I think it's only for the 2.9L as it's no DI and thus doesn't need hpfp and other ancillaries.

OP would be best served to sell the 08 CS as a roller. You'd be surprised how many would buy it for $12k. Take that and the $20k for the engine replacement and buy a 987.2 or a 981 instead and have far less concerns of catastrophic engine failure.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Spot on!!! Also 2.9 in LA dismantler 7.5K

Those need to be swapped over as well. $20k or a bit more but I think it's only for the 2.9L as it's no DI and thus doesn't need hpfp and other ancillaries.

OP would be best served to sell the 08 CS as a roller. You'd be surprised how many would buy it for $12k. Take that and the $20k for the engine replacement and buy a 987.2 or a 981 instead and have far less concerns of catastrophic engine failure.

·
Registered
27 Posts

QUOTE]

HPFP comes mounted to the DFI engine. Plumbing and ancillaries are the same for both DFI and MFI 9A1 motors. Neither is a straight forward swap into a 987.1 chassis.

·
Registered
857 Posts
2.9 is a 9A1 with EFI head. its not a DFI motor per say but a 9A1 Hybrid.

QUOTE]

HPFP comes mounted to the DFI engine. Plumbing and ancillaries are the same for both DFI and MFI 9A1 motors. Neither is a straight forward swap into a 987.1 chassis.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Greetings all. My beautiful 2008 Cayman S has suffered complete engine failure. Unmodified and perfectly dealer maintained, 110k miles, failure happened on track. Porsche dealer in Tucson is offering to install a 'dismantler sourced' engine with 57 k miles and 90 day warranty for $19k. Or the same engine with 1 year warranty for $24k. (they must think its pretty likely to fail!). I am looking for better ideas. Including maybe selling the rolling chassis and starting over (body and interior are in great shape), or building it into something really nice like a 3.8 or 4.0, or just sourcing a better deal on a straight engine replacement. Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Brian.
Call Jake Raby over at Flat 6 Innovations. I bet for the same $25k you can get a real screamer for your Cayman without needing to change anything. And it will fix all the M96/97 issues.

·
Registered
857 Posts
We're all adding data... not one word from OP. Love these kind of threads.. All posters stroking our own thoughts....Waste.

OP.. How much money are you willing to spend on fixing the car?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.