Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2008 Cayman S. I would like to hardwire a radar detector into the Homelink area (using a mirror tap wire). I have a Blendmount that attaches to the mirror and the detector will hang right under the mirror.

I am having problems finding the exact wires for the switched 12v. I do have an auto dimming mirror if that is relevant. I am able to pop out the dome lights and the homeland buttons. I attached a picture of the homeland connector below.

FullSizeRender 10.jpg

I did try to locate the ground wire and hot wire with a multimeter. I thought I got signals with the last to wires on the right. When I plugged the mirror tap in though, no dice.

Does anyone know which wires I need to tap for this? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I know I could run a wire down to the fuse block, but I would prefer not to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I plan to do the same, once my Cayman arrives in a few weeks (new owner). I don't know the answer for you, but can't you just use a multimeter to test for switching 12v? It looks like it could be easily tested with multimeter probes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temcal,

I haven't used a multimeter much. I did try to the instructions that came with the blend mount to use the multimeter to find the ground and positive wires. I spend an hour on that damn connector. I could be doing something wrong, who knows.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What kind of multimeter do you have? Just set it to read voltage. Some have an "auto" range, others you have to set manually. If yours is manual, just select a voltage that is higher than 12 (most likely 20V?).

Once you have that set, turn your key on. Probe the black to any ground connection (can be anywhere on your car). With the red probe, probe each one of those connections in the back of the homeland connector. Find one that shows 12V, then turn off your car and try probing that pin again. It shouldn't show 12V unless your key is on. You're end goal is to find one of the pins in the connector that has 12V power ONLY when the key is on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks TemeCal. I have a red Cen-Tech multimeter.

I will try setting the Cen-tech differently, and retry the 6 wires in the Homelink again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I thought I would update the thread for the Caymna Gen1 owners that may attempt a hardwire.

I spoke with the local dealer and he said that the homeland power is part of the Can-Bus, and it would be better to run a cable to the fuse box. I know there is power in the mirror wires, but they looked really hard to get at, compared to running a wire down to the fuse box.

So, I fished the wire down to the fuse box. All I needed was a screwdriver for 3 screws, and a pry tool to help with a couple of plastic panels, and to push the wire under the panels.

At the fuse panel, I found that C5 was switched, so I used that. Everything seems to be working fine.

I used a Blendmount to mount the detector, so the setup looks very clean.

Reactions: TemeCal

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a few pictures of the Blendmount.

IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts