Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm thinking (just thinking for now) about selling my beloved 06 CS with loads of extras to get a 2008 GT3.

What's so special about the GT3??

I love my CS and i'm uncertain about this change to be honest.

I know and have always read about how balanced the CS is. I love the CS handling and i think it may be an easier car do deal with especially in daily driviing than a GT3. In terms of pure looks i find both cars incredible although i find that rear wing of the GT3 a bit too racy for my taste.

So what do you guys think?
Will the GT3 be a bit overkill for normal street use?
Will i notice a big difference in fuel consumption?
I often hear the GT3 is closer to the Cayman in terms of hadling than a 911 S or S4, but still has that rear engine, so what makes the GT3 so special in that chapter?

Thanks for any views and opinions on this. :cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok after some consideration, lol :hilarious:, and talking to a friend who knows about this things i'm keeping my CS :banana:

It's the better car for me and my daily driving :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am still interested to know what people think. I find the GT3 very sexy while the cayman very attractive. The GT3 is like a girlfriend while the cayman is a wife.
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
As a daily driver.......suspect you have to work 'too hard' with the GT3. I have talked with some folks who I really respect who have driven all models of Porsche and they maintain that for a spirited daily driver, the CS is just about the perfect car. I was actually talking upgrade to a couple of these folks for myself in about 2 years. I kept saying the GT3 and they kept saying the TT. If you want highly tractable, daily driver with tremendous performance the TT is a great blend, especially, the 2010. Of course, they also said...........stay tuned to what Porsche will continue to do with the CS.......you might be very happy with just a new version of that.........

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
The GT3 has a much more "raw" feel to it than the CS. You feel more connected to the car and to the road, which is what you would expect for a track machine. The engine is louder (like a CS with a sport exhaust), but the shriek it makes on the way to its 8400 rpm redline is pure race car stuff. The real power comes on at 5000 rpm, so it has two personalities--pretty docile at low rpm's and a screamer at high rpm's. Needless to say it is a LOT faster than the CS (non-DFI).

PASM is standard on the GT3, but even the "normal" setting is way stiffer than the CS standard suspension (or CS PASM on normal). Ride motions on bumpy roads can be quite abrupt. The steering on the GT3 is absolutely razor sharp, even more than the CS. The GT3 is like a scalpel that must be driven with smoothness and precision when you start to push it. The CS is more forgiving.

You have to be motivated to use the GT3 as a daily driver. The ride is stiff, the clutch is stiff, the shifter is stiff, and the very low front spoiler will hit on speed bumps and steep driveway ramps. However, if you like to be totally involved in your driving, the GT3 is second to none. If you prefer a more refined driving experience, go with the CS.

Fuel consumption: about 10%-15% greater in the GT3 for the same type of driving.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I see you've already made your choice... probably a good one.

There are a couple of GT3s near my work... Now, I know the grass is always greener... but those things are sexy. They scream to me "bad azz"...

Since I can't afford one, it is an easy decision... but I am considering the TPC turbo.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I see you've already made your choice... probably a good one.

There are a couple of GT3s near my work... Now, I know the grass is always greener... but those things are sexy. They scream to me "bad azz"...

Since I can't afford one, it is an easy decision... but I am considering the TPC turbo.
Then if you put in GT3 lower control arms, damptronics (if your car has PASM)
or some other coilover (if not) and lower your car a bit, get it properly
aligned, put in a sport shifter and some GT3 seats.... you'll be pretty close.

Nice of me to spend your money, no? I could do this all day. :beer:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've spent quite a bit more seat time driving a GT3 then I have in my new CS but my initial impressions mirror Jake's. The GT3 is a much more intense and rewarding expierence but the cayman is easier to live with. The GT3 also makes strange noises and rattles that may not be everyones cup of tea for a daily driver. But the visibility is better IMO.

But if i had the choice and $$ I would have a GT3 no question. While it does ride stiffer I think the ride with PASM is pretty darn good. Only problem is the ground clearence.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I find the GT3 very sexy while the cayman very attractive. The GT3 is like a girlfriend while the cayman is a wife.

I am stealing this and using it in my sig.

On a side note, I would like to have a new GT3 as my toy and keep my CS as my DD. Unfortunately, I can't afford both right now, so I will have to wait 5 years to make that happen.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I am still interested to know what people think. I find the GT3 very sexy while the cayman very attractive. The GT3 is like a girlfriend while the cayman is a wife.
:thanks:
So Tiger Woods owns one CS, and at least 14 GT3s... :)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
And the new GT3 has a "front lift" as an option to fix that "problem".
The new GT3 our dealer has right now has this feature.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had the good fortune to be allowed to drive a GT3 last summer on the deserted roads of NW Scotland. I had the opportunity to drive it properly, and for as long and as hard as I wanted.

You may therefore be surprised to learn that I was almost glad to hand the keys back, with something at the back of my mind saying "this is a car too far". Not too far for a closed circuit perhaps, where I'm sure it is fabulous, but frankly I thought it was just too damned fast and lairy to be a sensible road car.

I read all this purple prose from journos about how they wring the necks of cars like GT3's (on the road) and wonder now where exactly these guys live? I like a fast car as much as the next guy, but anyone who genuinely maxes out a car like a GT3 on a public road is simply crazy. And unlikely to keep their driving licence long too. I was also taken for a spin in a Lambo Gallardo LP560-4 recenlty, and came away thinking exactly the same thing.

As an expression of engineering brilliance, the GT3 is a thing of wonder, but then so is an F1 car, and I wouldn't use that on the road either. The Cayman might be humiliated on a track by a GT3, but it makes a far better car for the real world roads that most of us have to drive on.

Journos excepted that is! :crazy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
no doubt any modern porsche is to fast to be driven at 9 or 10/10ths on modern roads. While it may seem strange to others the thing I love about the GT3 is that some of the "race car" bits make it a blast even when driving slowly.

I love the supersharp steering, precise shifter, noise(even better with sharkwerks bypass!), and the pccbs even when going the speed limit. It feels more alive and fun at legal speeds to drive then my 09 CS. I drove a Gt3 through downtown Chicago before it started snowing and had a blast even though I mostly went the speed limit. Mind you I did not have to go up or down any inclines...but the new front lift kit option should solve that problem nicely.

Not to say that the CS isn't a great car in its own right. But for those with the $$$ my opinon is that porsche GT series cars are worth the premium. And if you have the $$ for a GT3 you might as well get a 10 pack of lip spoilers :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts