Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Hello
new here and I am looking at a 2008 Cayman with 38,000 miles.
It has manual transmission.

What are the thing I need to look-out for in this model year?

It is a private seller.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ask for service history records. Look for:

~ oil changes every 5-8K mi or once a yr if less than 5K mi. The factory recommended longer intervals but it's generally agreed amongst the community to be too long.
~ has the water pump been changed? They are a weak pt on these cars. $800-$1000 to replace one.
~ does the tpms work or is there a dash light? These are the tire pressure sensors and they run out of battery in 4-6 yrs. A tire store can replace them for around $400-$500, the dealer will be twice that amt.
~ tires run anywhere from $800-$1200 depending on the brand and size.
~ has the brake fluid been changed recently (or at all)? Porsche recommends every 2 yrs.

Would I walk away from a car that hasn't had the wp changed, needs tires & tpms, and a brake fluid flush? No, but you would need to negotiate a very good price since those costs wll be coming out of your pocket. But if you're buying one that needs all these things, then what else was neglected? That's where service history comes into play. Someone who has lots of records probably cares for their car, someone who doesn't probably neglects their car. Porsches are not cheap to maintain.

Reactions: ottobon100

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in California and the seller lives in New York, this is a private sell, I want to have a PPI for the car , but I can t go there because I am working
If I buy it I will have it shipped in California. what would be a more feasible way to make sure the car is in good condition

thanks

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I wouldn't buy it without a PPI so I'd find someone close to the car to do one for me. You could start by checking with the nearest Porsche Club Region for a PPI referral or perhaps the nearest dealer could refer someone. It's my understanding that dealers no longer do them but I have no personal experience. A close by independant Porsche service would be happy to do one I'm sure, for a few hundred dollars. Money well spent when one considers how expensive major problems can be. Good luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So I have to ask, with you living in CA what is the attraction to one clear across the country? I would think there would be one in CA, AZ, or NV that would fit your needs. Sorry, inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Ask for service history records. Look for:

~ oil changes every 5-8K mi or once a yr if less than 5K mi. The factory recommended longer intervals but it's generally agreed amongst the community to be too long.
I have looked and as best I can find, there is absolutely zero science supporting this claim. I believe it comes from the old days when people used natural oil--a totally different kettle of fish. There is no reason to change synthetic oil any more frequently than 10K or once per year. I ask that anyone who says differently supply a scientific source--not an anecdote--to support their claim. All the manufacturers of both cars and synthetic oils disagree with the 5-8K mile interval stated above. That in itself should tell you something.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Scientific proof? I have none. During the height of IMS failure hysteria, the thought was the long oil change interval had an effect on IMS life. As the seal deteriorated, oil would lubricate the bearing. If the oil had logged 10-15K mi, it was less capable of sufficiently lubricating the bearing. Obviously no one knows when it comes to what specifically causes IMS failure. If changing my oil at 5K might improve IMS life, I'm willing to do it.

I did some searching and found a .pdf on the Porsche website which listed maintenance intervals. It's only current to 2010 but contains some interesting info. Here are the suggested oil change intervals for Boxsters:

2001-2004 12K mi or 2 yrs
2005-2007 20K mi or 2 yrs
2008 12K mi or 1 yr
2009-2010 10K mi or 1 yr

So it looks like Porsche hasn't settled on a set mileage or time frame, but the number seems to be dropping. Wonder why? Maybe the buying public is the ultimate testers and Porsche found their recommended intervals are too long when engine problems appear to be oil related? No way to know.

I don't want to turn this thread into an oil holy war, so I say 8K as my high and you say 10K as your low. Let's call it even and move on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have to ask, with you living in CA what is the attraction to one clear across the country? I would think there would be one in CA, AZ, or NV that would fit your needs. Sorry, inquiring minds want to know.
- selling the car for $24,000
- 2008 Base Cayman with manual transmission
- it has 38,000 Miles
- Title is clear

I am hoping car was not involved in any weather related flooding etc.
Picture of car is very clean....

His price is very competitive...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
During the height of IMS failure hysteria, the thought was the long oil change interval had an effect on IMS life. As the seal deteriorated, oil would lubricate the bearing. If the oil had logged 10-15K mi, it was less capable of sufficiently lubricating the bearing. Obviously no one knows when it comes to what specifically causes IMS failure. If changing my oil at 5K might improve IMS life, I'm willing to do it.
This model year is affected by the IMS failure?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This model year is affected by the IMS failure?
Caymans from 2006-2008 have an IMS. However, Porsche redesigned the IMS in 2006 and it has a failure rate of approx 1% (according to the IMS lawsuit of a few yrs ago). IMSs from 2000-2005 (the old design) reportedly failed at a 10% rate.

You should worry more about the water pump than an IMS.

Reactions: ottobon100

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Caymans from 2006-2008 have an IMS. However, Porsche redesigned the IMS in 2006 and it has a failure rate of approx 1% (according to the IMS lawsuit of a few yrs ago). IMSs from 2000-2005 (the old design) reportedly failed at a 10% rate.

You should worry more about the water pump than an IMS.

Thank you again for the info

·
Registered
892 Posts
- selling the car for $24,000
- 2008 Base Cayman with manual transmission
- it has 38,000 Miles
- Title is clear

I am hoping car was not involved in any weather related flooding etc.
Picture of car is very clean....

His price is very competitive...
That price is great. Local dealer has an 08, 57k miles and his rock bottom price is $30,500. I think KBB is $27,500 on the car.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Scientific proof? I have none. During the height of IMS failure hysteria, the thought was the long oil change interval had an effect on IMS life. As the seal deteriorated, oil would lubricate the bearing. If the oil had logged 10-15K mi, it was less capable of sufficiently lubricating the bearing. Obviously no one knows when it comes to what specifically causes IMS failure. If changing my oil at 5K might improve IMS life, I'm willing to do it.
My brother has a 986 Boxster, so of course he's asked questions. (After 16 years, BTW, he has had no IMS problem.) His mechanic says, about this issue, that he has only seen IMS failure in cars that were left standing for months on end. It is his (the mechanic's) believe, in line with your comment, that oil is the issue. He feels that when the car is left for a long period of time, enough oil drains from bearings supporting the IMS that it allows the problem to occur. While his believe is indeed in line with his observation, it's still only an hypothesis. If he's right, however, it would not be about the interval between oil changes per se--rather it would be about the interval in which the car was not being used. 'Just a thought . . . Oh, I've read somewhere that there still lurks a country (UK?) in which Porsche continues to say (amazingly) that 2-year intervals are OK. Can any of our UK friends confirm or deny?

I did some searching and found a .pdf on the Porsche website which listed maintenance intervals. It's only current to 2010 but contains some interesting info. Here are the suggested oil change intervals for Boxsters:

2001-2004 12K mi or 2 yrs
2005-2007 20K mi or 2 yrs
2008 12K mi or 1 yr
2009-2010 10K mi or 1 yr

So it looks like Porsche hasn't settled on a set mileage or time frame, but the number seems to be dropping. Wonder why? Maybe the buying public is the ultimate testers and Porsche found their recommended intervals are too long when engine problems appear to be oil related? No way to know.
Yes. Weird, isn't it! This is no piece of irrelevance because many P cars are driven 5000 miles/year or less, so the calendar issue is truly of importance for many of us (me included).

I don't want to turn this thread into an oil holy war, so I say 8K as my high and you say 10K as your low. Let's call it even and move on.
Agreed. Again, the difference is no difference for me personally, because my oil changes are done by the calendar (which ironically means I'm changing oil every 2,500 miles:hilarious:!)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I found a 2008 Cayman S with 45,000 miles (manual) clear title
$31,000 a fair price?
If all maintenance was done according to schedule and it's in good to excellent condition, then yes. I think the price is good. If I was selling my base 2008 with 36,000 miles, and it is in excellent condition, I'd be happy with 28K. The S certainly adds a couple thousand, maybe a little more. Get a PPI to be sure of condition.:cheers:

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I went looking for my used Cayman, I only looked at cars where they don't salt the roads. I live in AZ and ended up buying from a dealer in CA. Site unseen, shipped to my door on a transporter.

Other than dozens of photo's, a rather useless Carfax check and long conversations with the seller that was it. Bit nerve wracking, wouldn't recommend my method, but 2 years later its been flawless.

Just did a quick search on Autotrader. Scottsdale AZ, Cayman S, 34,900miles 37k miles asking. Quick 1 hour flight drive it home in 3 hours;-) 33k miles, S, 31k miles.

Theres a ton out there closer than NYC out of the snow belt. Hell us AZ types don't often run them in the rain!!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...00&showcaseOwnerId=73009&startYear=1981&Log=0

Keep looking you'll find your baby closer. It took me over 6 months to find my perfect PDK rocket.

Machog

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have looked and as best I can find, there is absolutely zero science supporting this claim. I believe it comes from the old days when people used natural oil--a totally different kettle of fish. There is no reason to change synthetic oil any more frequently than 10K or once per year. I ask that anyone who says differently supply a scientific source--not an anecdote--to support their claim. All the manufacturers of both cars and synthetic oils disagree with the 5-8K mile interval stated above. That in itself should tell you something.
I used to do 10k Mobil 1 10w-40 oil changes but the wear metals were too high. Switched to 5000 and lead back in line (bearings) 10k Mobil 1 oil changes may have worked when they used the original formula with 100% synthetic PAO stock, not this crap they sell in stores these days, about 5% PAO, after the Mobil v Castrol lawsuit. AMSOIL, Motul, Redline, and Joe Gibbs still make true old fashioned synthetic oil, not this Group III junk Mobil 1 passes off as equal to a Group IV oil. Mobil 1 does make a 10W-40 which measures up, but only for motorcycles (10k+ RPM redlines).

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 9.44.44 PM.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts