Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a green horn here but it seems this is the place to come with 987genII questions so I'm asking.

I just sold a 1987 911 for about $30K and I've got the money to invest in a more civilized, up to date driver. Loved the old 911 but it was getting more valuable and less practical. I never wanted to take it anywhere for fear of dings and using 12 quarts of oil it never warmed up enough for short trips. Also being 28 years old things need attention and I just don't have the time to mess with it. So I need more of a daily driver that I won't worry about.

Anyway, I want a rag top and the Boxster 987 genII seems to be the car. I found a 2009 with 16,000 miles on it and a 2011 with 27,000 miles on it. Both have almost the same options however the '09 has the sand beige leather that I like better. The '11 has black but I can live with it.

I can't find much in the way of documentation of the model year differences and to the eye each car looks and feels similar. Is there any differences in these model years? and which one would you recommend? Or, would you scrap the whole idea and suggest another car?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Very little difference in these 2 model years. So either should be a good choice. Check for service histories and You should get a PPI as well. Are either or both an S model or Base? PDK or manual?

Someone check me on this, but I believe an '09 Base does not have the DFI engine.

Don't scrap the idea - if you want a convertible the Boxster is a fantastic choice!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
All other things being equal (they rarely are but....) go with the one that is CPO if it is available. 16,000 while attractive is pretty low mileage for a car that is going on 6 years old. That is well below what Porsche suggests is minimum average mileage to be driven. It is not necessarily a problem but not driving these enough (especially if short runs) is actually not desirable. Definitely look for service records too. So, with that in mind, I actually would lean towards the 2011.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Me thinks all 987.2 Base models are SMFI (non-DFI).

If the service history is solid and the PPI is good for both, then buy the one with the lowest price and right color combo.

As others have said, no major differences between the years but use that to your advantage to negotiate the lowest price for the one you want.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both cars are 2.9 and are red. Neither one has CPO. All paper work is available for the '09 with all regular maintenance done by the local Porsche dealer. Very little paper work for the 2011(ugh!)

Does the 2011 987-2 have DFI? I've never seen info on this improvement on the 2.9 Boxters.

As with all German cars there are improvements year after year but they'll seldom tell you what they are. BMWs seem to stay identical year after year until they make a model change then half the parts go away but many remain. I noticed this on the '87 911 I had which shares some of the same hood and trunk shocks as much older models.

I love the beige interior but I'm a little concerned about up keep on it.

I am looking forward to a car I can drive as I please and not worry about depreciation because it will depreciate no matter what I do...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Black interiors and drop tops do not go well together assuming you actually drop the top most of the time. Beige would be much more dust/pollen friendly.

Regular cleaning of your interior (usually with only a water dampened cloth) is all you'll need to keep it looking good.

I'm sure there are some subtle diffs between the years and generally newer is always better, but each should serve you well.

What are the prices of each? PDK or manual?

This is for Caymans, but I'm guessing a large amount of the info applies to Boxsters.

http://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=models

Eddie

·
Registered
12 Posts
987.2 was new in 09, mature in 2011. My common sense (for the little it's worth) tells me the later model year will have had whatever bugs there where - worked out. I don't know if you can find out the number of Porsche tech bulletins for each year, but I suspect there would have been more on the 09. I believe Pedro at Pedro's board feels similarly fwiw. From what I've read, DFI was only on the S models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts