Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I got a message on my display this afternoon that service was due in 1,000 miles. My car is a 2010 Boxster base CPO with 21 months of warranty remaining. Given that I am still under warranty, should I take it to the dealership for the oil change or go ahead and start a relationship with a reputable independent shop in my area?

Many thanks in advance for your insights!

Mike Smith
Alpharetta, GA

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Indy or DIY. At the dealer you're forced to pay for your own KY (if you're lucky).
Keep all receipts and you are covered.
BTW, thread subject says 2009.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
INDY. Unless you have the ability to reset the service reminder then you can do it yourself. Check with your local PCA chapter. They will tell you where to go.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I typically prefer to get my car serviced at dealer while under warranty/CPO as it can be beneficial to build a relationship with dealer when it comes to addressing certain warranty items or getting some goodwill from them, e.g. some things that may not necessarily be or "officially" covered under warranty they may address and in some cases people who have had major mechanical issues if they had a good relationship with dealer, they were able to get goodwill from dealer/hq and have the costs significantly reduced.

I don't think any indy can offer that, after warranty ends though I certainly prefer indy as you get a more personal relationship with the tech and at some places can watch or be around the shop while they work on your car, I like the more personal relationship and being able to see my car being worked on rather than the more black box experience at dealership so in the end it's a trade-off.

Reputable or well established indys aren't really all that much cheaper than dealerships at least on the labor rate in my experience.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Reputable or well established indys aren't really all that much cheaper than dealerships at least on the labor rate in my experience.
I had my 2 year service on my 981 yesterday from an INDY. $300. Dealerships are ranging from $750 to $1000 for the same service. My Indy has been around for a long time, recommended by local PCA chapter and use to race Porsches (not DEs but competitively) INDYs are cheaper. Find a good one and keep receipts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had my 2 year service on my 981 yesterday from an INDY. $300. Dealerships are ranging from $750 to $1000 for the same service. My Indy has been around for a long time, recommended by local PCA chapter and use to race Porsches (not DEs but competitively) INDYs are cheaper. Find a good one and keep receipts.
What did you have done as part of the 2 year service? Not sure what exactly is called for on 981s but for 987s I believe it would be at least oil and filter change, brake fluid flush, engine air filter and cabin filter. Maybe in your market it's different but I think I would be hard pressed finding any reputable indy in Austin area such as ATX Autosport or TPWS performing all the above for $300 Parts & Labor.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Unless I've been out of touch and Porsche has magically become much more customer-friendly, I'd take it to the dealer until the warranty expires just to be sure there won't be any disputes over who pays for major repairs. In the past, I read one story after another where dealerships would nitpick over the slightest clause in the warranty to avoid paying. Taking it to an independent while under warranty gives Porsche a bigger excuse to deny you coverage, even if you have all the records. Of course, once the warranty is over, run -- do not walk -- to the nearest independent unless you enjoy paying $350 for an oil change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts