Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just got a 2009 2.9 Cayman PDK. The dealer in Livermore says there are no servicing of the PDK required. I don't buy that and I am sure that a fluid change could be helpful in smoothing things a bit. Has anyone gotten theirs serviced and what exactly was required. I read there are actually two oils used to change the gearbox and clutch pack. I appreciate any feedback from those who may have had this done and what to expect. Car has almost 70k on it and all services have been done but none on the pdk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Surprisingly, Porsche says there is no maintenance required for the PDK. I couldn't believe it either and I still can't after 6 years of owning the car.
Just an oil change at 120k miles or 12 years. My car still has almost 30k, so I can't help you more with specifics on type of oil etc. According to the mileage on your wife's car, you have lots of time to sort this out.
If the oil gets warm enough, the gearbox is very smooth by my standards. So either your standards are higher or you drive short distances (or maybe in very cold weather) and the oil is not up to temperature.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I had both oils changed on my 2009 CS's pdk at 50,000 miles, along with replacement of the filter. As I recall, the warranty book requires this work at 60,000 miles. I had it done early since I put a lot of track miles on the car.

The local dealer quoted me $950 for this service. I got it done at a local, independent Porsche race shop for about half that.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
my 2.9 PDK has had both fluids changed <30k miles on the clock at around 3 years interval.
the maintenance books seem to recommend a longer interval but earlier the better I guess.

·
Registered
810 Posts
MY 2010 987.2S PDK is at nearly 90k miles and I'm concerned using launch control regularly for autocross will wear out the clutches. Probably ~200 launches per year between my codriver and I. Is this a concern, or do clutches essentially last forever with no wear? How difficult is clutch replacement if/when it's required?

·
Registered
626 Posts
my 2.9 PDK has had both fluids changed <30k miles on the clock at around 3 years interval.
the maintenance books seem to recommend a longer interval but earlier the better I guess.
gearbox - 1 fluid.
what's the second?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It might not be a bad idea to flush your coolant system completely, as this also runs through the gearbox cooler as I recall.

Heat seems to be a big deal with the early cars, do you already have the center radiator mod installed in your car?

I hope that these suggestions are helpful, let me know if I can be of more help.

Erik Johnson
The Race Line
(970) 344-7761 phone

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
A car with PDK has three separate oil systems, each with their own heat exchanger connected to the coolant system to keep temperatures under control. The engine oil, gearbox oil and PDK clutch oil are each different specifications. The PDK is a wet clutch system and has a surprising amount of oil in it. More than the gear box, see below.
Here's text from the tech manual (via RennTech forum):

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 120K miles or 12 years
PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 60 K miles or 6 years

·
Registered
626 Posts
great info !!!
so no separate oil "compartment" for the final drive/diff?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts

·
Incurable Gearhead
965 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts