Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2010 987 with the base climate control the recirc function automatically turns on AC and if AC is then disabled, recirc will time out after a few minutes. I am fairly certain this is by design (like many cars I’ve been in), and I think it’s very silly. I want control over the functions independent and indefinitely. Is this possible to program and separate and remove the time out of recirc? Does this annoy anyone else? My Chevy trucks force AC when in recirc with no option to turn off AC. BMW has it right. Complete manual and independent control with no BS.

Any help?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I've had my 2010 Cayman for almost 10 yrs and I just now noticed this quirk. I was waiting for parts (had a noisy AC pulley bearing) and had the hub to the compressor shaft disconnected. I had the AC switched off (since it wasn't functional). So the car was still drive-able.

It was getting stuffy inside the cockpit, so I switched Recirc ON and noticed the AC light came ON also. So I switched AC OFF. Since I had been working on the AC compressor, I hoped I didn't cause this behavior. I've only been on short drives, so I haven't notice a timeout. Will keep an eye on it (AC compressor pulley is now replaced and AC fully functional).

Thinking about your issue, I guess they assume re-circ closed could cause increased cabin humidity possibly causing window fogging regardless of ambient temperature. So I guess running Recirc with AC makes sense in most circumstances. Summer and winter.

I doubt changing this behavior would be easy since it is likely embedded in the controller logic, rather than the switch itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand why they do it. Because some people would fog up their windows and create an unsafe situation. But I can definitely manage to push the AC button or recirc button myself. I figured it wouldn’t be easy. In my Chevy truck I think I may add a separate aftermarket circuit and button or switch that controls the recirc door separate from HVAC controller (basically overriding it’s logic). Not sure I’d be willing to the same on the 987.

if anyone knows if the ECU logic can be changed easily, chime in. I won’t be holding my breath.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts