Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Hope this hasn't been asked before, but I didn't see anything in a somewhat quick search. So I'm looking for a warm weather weekend, fun car to celebrate my pending divorce (yay me!). For basically the same price my current top choices are a 2010 Cayman with the Cayman S wheels, or a 2006 Cayman S. Both are around 45K miles. Both are single owner cars. The Cayman is a private seller, the S is at a Porsche dealer. Both are 6 speed, all I'll consider. Thoughts? Thanks for any and all help!

Reactions: Rokmor

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hello and Welcome billmarr from a former Masshole to a current Masshole. :hilarious:

The 2010 all day long and twice on Sunday. The 987.1 (MY 2006-08) have many issues that can leave you stranded all the way to grenade your engine.

Have a through PPI done with either. I'll bet the 2010 has its maintenance history available since it's from a private seller which adds another item to the long list of why 2010 > 2006 and not just mathematically.

Do not get caught up in the Base vs. S BS. Unless you are going to make your living with this car, it's highly unlikely you'll ever drive it as its full capability.

The MT in either generation is somewhat prone to shifter linkage problems but that is a few hundred dollar fix if DIY (see numeric cables). Water pumps also are prone to fail on both generations, but is a few hundred dollars item to fix. With those miles, a new WP should be on your radar w/i the year if not done.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a new lurker hoping to buy one by the end of summer. With 100+ summers it's my least favorite time of year to go top down (unless it's at night).

After poking around here and some other sites I changed my search to start at 2009 - because of the engine issues I've read about. If you're very handy with a wrench you can get an older one, do a good ppi and make sure you replace the shaft bearing that's prone to failure (if it hasn't been done). Also, I've read about oil starvation issues if you plan on a lot of track time, but there seems to be a noticeable price drop if you look pre-2009, and for good reason. Those cars can be a good deal if you know what you're doing. I know that I don't know, so I'm looking primarily at 2009+.

For me the question is 987.2BS or 981 base - those prices seem pretty close. 981 base has better performance than the previous base, though less than the previous S... But I think the 981 looks better... First world problems.

Let us know what direction you're going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I should have added that I'm not planning on racing the car and am looking for one that hasn't been tracked. So I'm sure that factors into the base vs S decision as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I thought the IMS issues were mostly pre-2005 and therefore rare in a Cayman and that most grenaded engines were related to the oil starvation on the track, and I'm getting this to drive places, not to race. Comments I've seen generally refer to the 987.2 engines basically being bullet proof, but that the 987.1's were also very reliable. What about clutch, tranny, breaking preferences?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either car.
i currently have 2006 cayman s which I absolutely love and had a 2005 Boxster base 987 which was a great car.
i can tell you that the 3.4 vs the 2.7 is big emproveme t in performance.the brakes on the S are amazing .
again you will love either one but for me after having both engines,I will go for S trim.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either car.
i currently have 2006 cayman s which I absolutely love and had a 2005 Boxster base 987 which was a great car.
i can tell you that the 3.4 vs the 2.7 is big emproveme t in performance.the brakes on the S are amazing .
again you will love either one but for me after having both engines,I will go for S trim.
The 2009 987.2's 2.9 engine split the difference between the 3.4 and 2.7 and ended up much closer to the speed and performance of the 3.4. That's why many go with the 987.2 for the upgrade in durability without a noticeable loss in performance (the 2.9 engine seems to out preform its stats on paper, too bad they only built them for 4 years).

As for 987 vs 981 I stayed with the 987 for the go cart feel, the 981 traded raw feel for luxury and comfort, and with the taller doors and the deeper seating down in the car, the 981 feels like there is more car between me and the road. I don't know why manufactures start small and then make the car bigger with each generation? A real technological challenge would be to make it smaller with each generation? We are talking sports cars here.

I want agile, responsive, and sensitivity.... vs luxury, safety, and refinement. Most people know what they want after a test drive. Don't confuse newer or faster with more fun to drive on the street until you've given them both the seat of the pants test.

Photo below illustrates how the seat-backs in the older generations are more visible. When you see a 981 you see the drivers head, when you see a 987 drive by you see his head and shoulders. I've found that you feel more sensation of speed when you have less car. My BMW Z3 M was scary because half my body was above the door-line. The new Camaro and Jaguar... all you see is my head, its like sitting down in a bank vault in comparison. Safe but less sensation of speed in my opinion. (Argument holds true for Cayman or Boxster... not just drop tops)

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also, I thought the IMS issues were mostly pre-2005 and therefore rare in a Cayman and that most grenaded engines were related to the oil starvation on the track,
You are correct. There's a lot of fear spread around for no good reason.

To answer your question, though - for the exact same money I'd go for the 2010 because there were some nice improvements, but when I was shopping the 987.1S was quite a bit cheaper than any 987.2 that I could find in similar condition. If you've found a 2010 that's truly in top condition with the options you want for 987.1 money, jump on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are correct. There's a lot of fear spread around for no good reason.

To answer your question, though - for the exact same money I'd go for the 2010 because there were some nice improvements, but when I was shopping the 987.1S was quite a bit cheaper than any 987.2 that I could find in similar condition. If you've found a 2010 that's truly in top condition with the options you want for 987.1 money, jump on it.
I've noticed two people mention 2010 models having a lot of changes, but I thought the 987.2 debuted in 2009? Am I wrong, or are there other significant changes that occurred in 2010?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've noticed two people mention 2010 models having a lot of changes, but I thought the 987.2 debuted in 2009? Am I wrong, or are there other significant changes that occurred in 2010?
You're right. The changes were 2009. We just used 2010 in this thread because the OP was asking specifically about a 2010.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
After driving a 2008 CS for several years I needed a replacement tried the 2009+ Cayman, it was just not as much fun, so I ended up with a 2010 CS, the non S is a really great car, but the S is more fun even if it is older, the 2006-2008 do have more issues if tracked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for these comments so far. Split views....not a surprise. Guess I'll have to go drive both of them and keep looking at the same time.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for these comments so far. Split views....not a surprise. Guess I'll have to go drive both of them and keep looking at the same time.
Drive both is the way to go for sure. Split views because we have different types of drivers.

I like to drive in the upper RPM's (learned to drive a NSX and stay in the VTEC range) so I like to push a small engine vs holding back on the S. I always turn off the traction control, even in the rain. Traction control is good for when it snows in Florida.

Some guys want instant power even if they aren't in the right RPM range. Others want more room, comfort and refinement. Some want more technology, safety and driver aids, some want less (no screens, a real hand brake, simple small circular air vents, hydraulics steering).

My friend bought a 2010 Boxster S to listen to the sound system. He's never been over 90 mph so I asked him why he got the S? He said he's attracted to the potential speed of his car. Wishes he could afford a 911 Turbo S but would still never drive over 90mph, again he's excited about the potential performance.

We are lucky that Porsche builds a car that works for everyone, you just have to do enough research to figure out what kind of driver you are. I know my local roads, I know what speed I want to hit in each gear and what RPM range is the most fun for the roads I drive on. I drove the 987's 2.7, 3.4, 2.9 and 981's 2.7 before I figured out the best way to maximize my fun factor.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
as others have said either car is a great car.

generally when buying pre-loved cars - I would buy the newest car I can afford.
987.2 differences have been detailed in other threads but the non S 2009+ has slightly larger brakes, the newer engine which is only 30hp less than the older S and updated interior, differrent steering designs and climate control panels.

the non S are the most underrated cars of this class as everyone doesn't realise how fast they can go.
as markstudy is saying - its more fun to drive a smaller engine fast vs lugging a larger engine :)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
So I'm looking for a warm weather weekend, fun car
If that is the criteria, why not look at a Boxster? No more fun than dropping the top. I have both a BS & CS. The BS is great during nice weather.
BTW...
I've been tracking my CSS for almost 5 yrs. You don't have to believe all the doom & gloom that propagates on the 'net.

Reactions: Rokmor

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I drove the 2010 base yesterday and loved it! Setting up a time to drive the 06 CS in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
You can't go wrong both are great choices, I like to go with 1 owner private sellers with a good service history and do a PPI.BTW I really liked watching you TV show, politically incorrect.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.