Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here’s an update of my Cayman refresh so far. Thanks again to all those who have directly or indirectly helped. Hopefully it will help with future novices like myself with their upgrades.

Just to recap, my 987.2S is coming 10 years next April and 40k miles on her. We have a silly car population control mechanism (some call it a great government revenue generator) here that basically states you have to buy a certificate of entitlement (COE) that allows you to buy and own a car for 10 years, after which, you need to renew the COE for another 10 years to continue operating the car. Despite this, I’ve decided to renew the 10 year COE at current rates of SGD$38K which is perhaps 1/10th or 1/11th of the cost of a new similar Cayman.

So, as I’m keeping her for another 10 years, one aspect of the refresh program was looks. I thought some racing stripes would help give here a new look and landed on brushed silver and a version of red 3M films plus 3M carbon fibre film on the front lip, lower half of the wing mirrors and the rear wing. I also have these carbon fibre pieces from a while back from my 997 which happen to fit so I thought what the heck LOL.

Lights:

As my rear lamps were also getting fuzzy from age, I thought perhaps go the LED route that several here have taken. I landed on a 718 style light from a Taiwanese company called Sonar. Now, I know some have reservations about going non-original Porsche parts and I can understand why. I generally tend to subscribe to that school of thought as well but for PERFORMANCE parts like brakes, engine type parts, suspension etc… lights however, pose no safety and performance issues. In fact, I would argue these LED lights perform better than the originals. They are brighter and have rear fog lamps on BOTH sides which is great for my conditions when it rains.. because it pours when it rains here. From an aesthetics perspective which is personal and subjective, I love how they look and for me, they give a 10 year old car a real positive update in looks. Quite a difference between old and new. I really like these lamps and the best part, super easy DIY even for a 10 thumb guy like me. Plug and play and 30 minutes to install both sides. All you need is an Ikea wrench.

Brakes :

Next up was the regular service and while at it, I changed the front brakes to the new Brembo drilled uni directional rotors and LOW MED pads. So far, very nice feel and quiet. Still needing them in so no hard braking yet and hence can’t comment on braking power.

I also replaced my brake lines with the BF Goodridge Steel braided brake lines. The brakes FEEL firmer now and I don’t have to step as hard… again, still bedding in my new brakes so can’t really comment.

Rear shock mounts and all bellows have also been changed.

Engine Tune :

Now comes the fun part.. engine tune.. I considered Cobbs and FVD and eventually settled on FVD. Rhonda has been great and so patient with my novice questions. Loading it was fairly easy. First drive after the map was mixed… Is there an increase in power? Hmm.. Butt dyno thinks so but not much (and shouldn’t be I guess).. What I find is really good is the gear shifting which is weird as mine does not come with a PDK remap. It feels so much more responsive throughout the range even in normal driving mode. There is more power at the low end and delivery is smoother. I think the proper term is more linear? In Sport mode, power was instantaneous. If you’re looking for a huge power jump from just a tune alone, I think you have to mange your expectations but how the car drives seems to have improved so much. Its more refined and seems like there is always power on instant tap. Note that I’m on stock hardware. Anyway, for those interested, these are the parameters I gave t FVD for my tune :

a. 2010 Cayman 987.2 3.4S PDK non PASM. I have sport chrono and sport plus as well.

b. I run RON 95 (which I think is 95 Octane) 95% of the time with Ron 98 occasionally

c. I'm at sea level

d. Average temperature is 92*F with the temperature range being 80* to 98*F.

e. Average humidity is 84% with range

f. As discussed, more torque and power at a lower range is preferred.

g. Increase should be throughout the range and flat spots eradicated.

h. I have done a minor mod in my stock muffler where some kind of straight pipe was done inside the stock muffler for more sound. I am told a bit more power at high end but with some loss at low end.

That’s all for now. I’m waiting on my Bilstein B8s to arrive to pair with my Cayman R springs. En route as well are the Verus dive lanes. Both of these mods should be on by mid Jan.

In the meantime, here’s wising one and all a safe and blessed X’mas and New Year.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
what took you so long to start modding your car? :)
still liking those rear 718 style lights....

I thought you were going with slotted rotors...

btw you should try RON 100 once in a while - blast to use in spirited driving....better than a tune me thinks...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what took you so long to start modding your car? :)
still liking those rear 718 style lights....

I thought you were going with slotted rotors...

btw you should try RON 100 once in a while - blast to use in spirited driving....better than a tune me thinks...
LOL... why so long? I kept extending the warranty.

As for the rotors, I though it'll be weird if I have slotted on the front and drilled on the rears. Maybe when it comes time to change both I'll go slotted. I also got a fair deal on the Brembo rotors and the new LowMed pads and that Brembo was really forthcoming with answers to all my newbie questions made me go Brembo.

Ron 100... you guys still have that up north?

the 718 lights..... yeah, I really like them.. Its more than anything else has modernized the look and that was what I wanted. The old lenses are stored so I go back to to retro any time.

BTW, my Bistein B8s just arrived today. Can;t wait to get them and the R springs on. With the FVD tune, its made the car more fun to drive for daily use. I'm hoping the lowered and firmer stance will give it another positive dimension but I suspect I'll only find out how much on the next B Road drive near you.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got my Bilstein B8 and Cayman R springs on. The height has dropped from 4 fingers to 2 fingers in the front and 2.5 fingers in the rear. It should get a ta lower after its settled. I hope not too much lower.

Ride is definitely firmer and more "one piece". Not as firm as my K&N V1s from a long while back though. No problems with pedestrian crossing hump and speed bumps.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also got my Verus dive planes installed. I decided to get these on a whim after a B-road drive and on the way there, we exceeded 120mph and for the first time felt a very uneasy floatiness in the front. I hope on the next high speed straight, these help to reduce that floatiness. These came as matt and I applied 3 coats of 2K high gloss coating. Supposed to be chip resistant and offers UV protection as well. I opted for the screw install as opposed to the 3M tape. Will paint the screws black this weekend.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the report form my alignment service..

Can someone educate me what these numbers mean and what effect its supposed to have pls.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am close to the end of the refresh... looking at 7mm and 15 mm spacers now. Maybe thinking of adding a Cayman R spoiler. Still unsure on the Carnewal 200 cell cat headers.

Loving the car on the FVD tune so far but I've noticed some minor flat spotting. Will drive a few more days and see how it goes. Still under my 30 day return window but it doesn;t look like it.

My mech also commented its so smooth now with gear changes and power seems to be more effortless compared to stock tune.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,841 Posts
Looks terrific! Enjoy your "new" car in good health.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,841 Posts
The Cayman R camber specifications are slightly different from the ranges shown, as follows:
(F) -45' +/- 15' [or -0•30' to -1•0']
(R) -1•50' +25'/-5' [or -1•15' to -1•55']
Regardless, your current alignment settings are all within this specification. Enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a nice 30 plus minute drive last with with spirited bursts. I realy think FVD has done a great jone with the tune whatever they did. Clams are +13 hp at crank which is about 10 at wheel. I'm not going to bother dynoing it and butt dyno says definite slight increase. Power is so linear and the kick down still has the head jerking surge. gear changes are super smooth.

The B8 Cayman R setup is also really nice. Much stiffer but again not bone jarring stiff. Softer than KW V1s iirc. Car feels a lot more planted especially on faster swooping curves. I hop my next B-road is not too far away. That will be the real test and the highspeed highway drive to the B-roads will show what effect the Verus dive planes have.

The steering also feels heavier (which is a god thing for me). Not sure if thats due to the lowered B8 R springs or the alignment. Feels more tracky....

Really happy with the money spent.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Cayman R camber specifications are slightly different from the ranges shown, as follows:
(F) -45' +/- 15' [or -0•30' to -1•0']
(R) -1•50' +25'/-5' [or -1•15' to -1•55']
Regardless, your current alignment settings are all within this specification. Enjoy the drive!

Thanks... I need to beg the question as I dont know what the numbers mean...

So is my setup with the wheels slightly angled out to give better handlng in corners? Both front and back?

Thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So just an update on the new gen Brembo LOW MED pads... they do indeed give off very little brake dust.. a lot less than original pads.

Have not had a need to e brake yet so still can't comment on braking power but for daily drives with spirited sprints, no complaints.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,841 Posts
Thanks... I need to beg the question as I dont know what the numbers mean...

So is my setup with the wheels slightly angled out to give better handlng in corners? Both front and back?

Thanks.
There's a wealth of information on the subject available online. In brief, increasing negative camber (as specified for the Cayman R) provides better grip and more even tire wear during aggressive cornering. But all aspects of suspension geometry and alignment are interrelated, so that's a VERY simplified description.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
I certainly don't have your engineering background and while his alignment does fall within the R's range I'm not crazy about it.
The only thing I do like is the front toe out which gives you much faster turning response.
I would change the front camber to -1.0 and rear camber to -1.55. It looks like the aligner went with the stock Cayman S max's which many alignment firms will not go beyond even though this is far far from a stock Cayman S suspension. In actuality I would have used greater than the R spec's which are still very tame even though this isn't a track or autocross car.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finished the scuff plates on the passenger side. A lot faster this time and with a lot less bubbles to manage.

Any ideas how to get rid or make less obvious the scratches on the aluminium badge?

Just waiting for my spacers and carbon fibre duck tail to arrive and I should be done.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The almost finished refreshed ride now with lowered Bilstein B8 and R Springs.

Waiting for my spacers and duck tail to come in.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,841 Posts
The almost finished refreshed ride now with lowered Bilstein B8 and R Springs.

Waiting for my spacers and duck tail to come in. View attachment 266435
Looks great! Are you planning to paint the ducktail black also?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts