Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I'm obviously driving a lot less these days due to the lock down. Having been on the PSS for a while now, I think its a less comfortable tire with more road noise despite being slightly more narrow than the aging PS2 it replaced. Will likely go back to the PS2 when the time comes for another change.

Still no PS4S in 18 here. On the subject of PS4S, how're those on the PS4S finding it with quite a bit of mileage on them now? Still the bees knees?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I changed from RE-71 to PS4s
Traction worst, road noise better than PZero also, ride better than both and PSS
I would buy and recommend them for street, not for track or Autocross
I respect TireRack but don’t agree with their evaluation of PS4s
I’ve had to go with Toyo R888r now because of your same problem- Michelin does make 20” tires I need
I had get a new set of 19 because of it
Now have 17 18 19 & 20’s
Tire companies don’t want to make tires unless they are exact matches for oem and can sell millions
I always optimize my tire sizes to bigger and better performance results and never choose for street nice

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
So just keeping my refresh thread fresh.. Have done a few things since the last post.

1. Changed my wheels to the BBS SR wheels which have added a slightly wider track to the 15/7 spacers.
2. Added a sunscreen sticker
3. About 6 months after I got the car, I had a local hack done to my stock S exhaust for more sound. It worked but the drone seemed to get worse as the years passed. Today, I installed a bigger pipe Cayman R exhaust. No more drone.

Have a few more mods... body parts coming along. My AFE filter is also on the way in (finally) and still am considering the Carnewal 200 cell cats.

I hope this is about the end of my refresh...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have three sets of 18 in wheels, OEM's, Titan 7, TS-5's and Signature SV-104. The Titan and Signature are 9 in f and 10 in in the rear. Currently, I run Michelin PS4S 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r on the OEM rims, RE71R's 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r and Hoosier A7's 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r. The Michelin tires will break free in tight corners much more readily than the two race tires, which is expected. However the ride noise and compression of the side walls is much more relaxed with the Michelin's. Some of Autocrossers use their RE71R's all the time, just replacing them each year.

I prefer to use the tire suited to the job and don't mind getting my hands dirty changing the wheels/tires. The only issue is the rubber degrades sitting in my garage, even in sealed bags. My Hoosiers are over a year old, with 5 races on them and I can feel a slight less grip than last year. The same issue with the RE71R's, which I use in iffy/rain weather conditions in the NW. I transit with these tires on my car, so a 60 mile radius and a sunny forecast is necessary for the Hoosiers. I will only use the Michelin's in standing water on the track.

Going back to post #61, I would opt for RE71R's in the largest size that you feel comfortable with. Like 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r. The 285/30/18 r has a smaller rolling diameter than the 255/35/18 so you will have a negative rake on your car. In autocross, not an issue even with 265/35/18f and 285/30/18 r as Ryan Clark points out winning B/S in a National Solo Championship vs BMW M2's, Corvette's, Fords and other cars. He claims that the mismatch of rolling diameter did not affect any of the PSM compotants on our 987.1's including braking.

So, you have options. If canyon driving is your thing, the RE71R's really can't be beat for the road. They are predictable in releasing grip, have a great turnin due to stiff side walls, and can be run with slightly lower pressures than the Michelin PS4S.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I have three sets of 18 in wheels, OEM's, Titan 7, TS-5's and Signature SV-104. The Titan and Signature are 9 in f and 10 in in the rear. Currently, I run Michelin PS4S 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r on the OEM rims, RE71R's 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r and Hoosier A7's 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r. The Michelin tires will break free in tight corners much more readily than the two race tires, which is expected. However the ride noise and compression of the side walls is much more relaxed with the Michelin's. Some of Autocrossers use their RE71R's all the time, just replacing them each year.

I prefer to use the tire suited to the job and don't mind getting my hands dirty changing the wheels/tires. The only issue is the rubber degrades sitting in my garage, even in sealed bags. My Hoosiers are over a year old, with 5 races on them and I can feel a slight less grip than last year. The same issue with the RE71R's, which I use in iffy/rain weather conditions in the NW. I transit with these tires on my car, so a 60 mile radius and a sunny forecast is necessary for the Hoosiers. I will only use the Michelin's in standing water on the track.

Going back to post #61, I would opt for RE71R's in the largest size that you feel comfortable with. Like 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r. The 285/30/18 r has a smaller rolling diameter than the 255/35/18 so you will have a negative rake on your car. In autocross, not an issue even with 265/35/18f and 285/30/18 r as Ryan Clark points out winning B/S in a National Solo Championship vs BMW M2's, Corvette's, Fords and other cars. He claims that the mismatch of rolling diameter did not affect any of the PSM compotants on our 987.1's including braking.

So, you have options. If canyon driving is your thing, the RE71R's really can't be beat for the road. They are predictable in releasing grip, have a great turnin due to stiff side walls, and can be run with slightly lower pressures than the Michelin PS4S.
Thanks Apex. I always appreciate you insightful posts and sharing. I'll remember the RE71Rs when it comes time which given my driving style, actual driving (maybe 5000 miles a year) and that my tires are 1 month and 87 months old front and rears respectively, it'll be maybe 1.5 years before I need to consider a tire change.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Glad to see that you're enjoying modding your car.
Hope that all is well with your new rims. and did you sort out your under/over steer with the new spacers?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Glad to see that you're enjoying modding your car.
Hope that all is well with your new rims. and did you sort out your under/over steer with the new spacers?
Thanks.

Yup. More like I have grown accustomed to it. I've actually unintentionally added more "over" steer by going from 225 to 245 PSS in the front. Perhaps it suits my less accomplished driving style better. From a price point, the NOS 245 PSS was a no brainer.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts