Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys new here.

Had a dream of owning a porsche since I was 11 and I think its here to complete now after 14 years :) so I am from India where we have to pay 138% import duties on cars ( yeah it sucks balls ) so I have been little confused on which one to buy.

Brand new Cayman S - Manual with my set of options and color.
Pre owned 2008 Carrera S TipTronic - Red with 1200 kms

Both would cost around 160k USD here so help me choose!

Thank you

·
Registered
282 Posts
Spiff - Don't know that I can help, but I share your confusion. Although I have a 2007 2.7 Cayman, I am seriously considering "moving up." One day I tell my wife I'm getting a 2009 Cayman S with PDK. The next day I tell her I'm getting a 2007/2008 C4S. I drove a 2009 Cayman S w/PDK and a 2009 Carrera 4S 6-speed back-to-back last March on the Porsche Leipzig test track (along with 4 other Porsche models). I absolutely loved both of them and would have a very hard time choosing if price were no option. However, price is!! So, while I loved the 2009 C4S, I know that it has more HP than a 2007/2008 model and therefore I think there would be a bit of a difference between a new CS and a used C4S. The 2009/2010 Cayman S is absolutely awesome. So, what does a person do?? Drive them both. Go with your gut!! You won't be disappointed either way!!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Test drive them both then decide.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Went through the same process. I ended up with an 09 CS PDK. I do not regret the decision in the least.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would go with the brand new CS. Why would you want an ice age transmission with the tiptronic? The performance will be similar in the two cars, but the manual CS more fun to drive IMHO.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Drive both and pick one. Have no regrets. Although the marketing people want us to think otherwise, the best car is your own car. I have both and love both. Both different and both are wonderful. And drive safely. Ed

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Was in the same boat, CS PDK or a pre DFI C2S... ended up with the CS PDK, you just can't go wrong!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
That's a curious question. It's not a question to be answered over the internet, but rather experienced. It's like saying is it worth taking a bath or a shower?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem with that is in india you don't get test drives for cayman/Carreras by Porsche. These guys treat you like **** on a land where a buyer is willing to pay 160k for a cayman. I drove my friends manual recently and abSolutely loved it, so just curious what PDK owners have to say.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . Is the PDK well worth over the manual ? I see lot of people here have the PDK.
I think it somewhat depends on where and how you intend to drive the car. Manual can be more fun and involving, and there are many sports car die-hards, who believe that is the only way to go.

However, if you are going to be driving it frequently in heavy stop and go traffic (e.g. mostly 1st and 2nd gear) as a daily driver, then you may find that the manual gets a bit tiresome. With the PDK you can leave it in auto for those occasions, and use manual mode when you are on the open road.

On the downside, the PDK also adds a bit more weight, costs more, and requires getting the Sport Chrono option if you want to take full advantage of the different shift maps and launch control.

:drivingskid:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think it somewhat depends on where and how you intend to drive the car. Manual can be more fun and involving, and there are many sports car die-hards, who believe that is the only way to go.

However, if you are going to be driving it frequently in heavy stop and go traffic (e.g. mostly 1st and 2nd gear) as a daily driver, then you may find that the manual gets a bit tiresome. With the PDK you can leave it in auto for those occasions, and use manual mode when you are on the open road.

On the downside, the PDK also adds a bit more weight, costs more, and requires getting the Sport Chrono option if you want to take full advantage of the different shift maps and launch control.

:drivingskid:
Well said. I opted for a MT in my CS and have no regrets. The one thing I did not factor in is the great number of artificial humps we have here in order to slow down motorists which makes driving a little hetic. My advice: if traffic is a big issue, go for the PDK.
:thanks:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I always wanted a manual sports car, but I also wanted to drive it everyday.

Then PDK came into the picture... faster, acts like a manual when you want it to and be an auto when you want it too.... best of both worlds.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I always wanted a manual sports car, but I also wanted to drive it everyday.

Then PDK came into the picture... faster, acts like a manual when you want it to and be an auto when you want it too.... best of both worlds.
Why does driving daily preclude a manual tranny ??

Jack
Tampa

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you do not need the extra seats, get the Cayman. I miss my Cayman more than I love my 911. I bought both new and got rid of the Cayman when my second child grew enough to be taken for rides.

If you have good roads to drive, the Cayman is often more enjoyable than the 911 -- it is just so smooth.

Also, there is something special about being able to afford and purchase a brand new car.

Good luck, and post pics of your purchase.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Problem with that is in india you don't get test drives for cayman/Carreras by Porsche. These guys treat you like **** on a land where a buyer is willing to pay 160k for a cayman. I drove my friends manual recently and abSolutely loved it, so just curious what PDK owners have to say.
Is the net full of bored 12-year-olds this week or what ?????

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good question. I think a 6 speed makes daily driving more fun, and I live in a large metro area.
As I said I have a 6sMT and love it; driving is so much fun. I did test drive PDK prior to ordering my car. PDK is fun..well, limited fun I would say. In addition, the car looks much better with a manual tranny.;)
The only drawback is you read need to be extra carfull when facing humps, etc. :thanks:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
For me, going for PDK was the better option.

Sometimes my shift at work is for 32 hours STRAIGHT and then I have to drive 20mins to reach home and i'm dead tired and awake for 2 nights. Really don't think I can shift a manual :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts