Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. I was going through many threads on this forum and all the questions I wanted to ask have been asked/answered by fellow members at some point or the other. Well, I did my research and decided on a 987.2 Cayman S stick shift preferably black over black and I was looking just for leather seats. I was not looking for any more options but I wanted to get a CPO. Started my search a couple of months ago and was not very successful. Kept searching everyday on Porsche USA site, PCA and other forums while trying to find out everything I can about these beautiful machines. Well, this was going to be my first Porsche. I used to ride a Honda CBR600RR which was stolen a few weeks ago - that's a different story. I was driving a stick shift Ford Mustang till end of last year and I had to part with it. So I was without a car for a couple of months.
As part of regular search (I always searched with newest arrivals first) I looked up some sites and found one which caught my attention. It was at a Carmax dealer in Norcross, GA. A 2010 CS with 26,600 miles black on black with a stick shift. No pictures and not too many details yet except the VIN. I called up the guys at Carmax and tried to find more about it. Well that was on a Friday evening. I wanted to see the car, I mentioned this to a friend and he was like "let's go". I live in South Florida and the car is over 650 miles away. Started for Norcross, GA the next day evening (Saturday) and on our way checked out the ROLEX 24 AT DAYTONA - it was some experience!! Couldn't stay there for more than couple of hours as we had to make it to the dealer and drive back by Sunday night. Reached Carmax on Sunday around 1 pm with a overnight stop. I was talking to Eddie and he was surprised to see me. I took a test drive and the car felt good, pretty well maintained. I told the guy to keep it off the website while I got my check. He obliged and it was not listed until Wednesday (4 days). Before flying in I scheduled an appointment on Wednesday with Carmax for a 11 am and with Jim Ellis Porsche between 1pm and 3 pm for a PPI. The systems at that location were down most of the day and by the time I got the delivery of the car it was already 5pm. I really wanted to get a PPI done but I could not. Had to leave for home the same evening. I wanted to drive the car myself back home to make sure everything works fine. What a car, I must say it was 680 miles of smiles!! I read someone mention "these things are put together like a fine watch" and I couldn't agree more. I did not drive anything like this ever in my whole life. Though the ride was stiff may be due to 19 inch wheels and I don't know how 18 inch wheels felt, the fantastic shifts and the best part was the music - not from the Bose sound system but from the flat 6. I could hear a lot of road noise but whenever I revved it beyond 3k I was grinning from ear to ear or rather giggling. I felt like a kid in a candy store. Reached home safe and sound thanks to my beautiful ride.
Now a couple of observations and questions to the fellow forum members:
1. When I stopped at a gas station to refill after about 350 miles, I could smell fuel in the cabin. I don't exactly remember if it was gas or oil. Do I have to worry about it ?
2. When I crank the engine, it starts with a peculiar sound, revs a bit for sometime and gets back to normal. Is this normal ?
3. Does anyone know more about this car - it was originally an executive demo car with 5500 miles sold first in Jan 2011 CPO. The dealer only had AutoCheck report which showed 5500 miles but I had to pull a CarFax which showed regular service until around 23,000 miles. I also called Jim Ellis Porsche who originally sold the car and they said its a clean car and the last service/oil change was done at around 23,000 with a yearly service in April. The last 3500 miles are not accounted for.
I am still considering a PPI done to make sure everything is alright. Thanks for reading through and appreciate your insights.

Best
Pradeep

Attachments

Reactions: Milehigh981

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

Great story and fine looking Cayman lowflier.

Did you google the VIN? That might tell you something.

Does your car have a CPO? If bought at Carmax, it does not, but it might have factory warranty depending on when first sold.

Eddie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the first thing I did was googled the VIN and that is how I found out it was an executive demo car with Jim Ellis Porsche - found a 4 year old ad when it was up for sale for the first time. I showed the car to a mechanic who had his hands full but he kinda did a preliminary check - drove it, checked the body and paint for any damages, clutch and transmission, revved it a bit and said its a good car. I want to check the DME to see if it was red-lined often.
About the factory warranty - I called the original dealer and found out that the factory warranty applies for new cars with low mileage and this one having done over 5k miles before it was first sold was only eligible for a CPO in 2011. The first time it was titled was on Jan 31st 2011 and going by what you stated the factory warranty would end tomorrow i.e., 31st Jan 2015 and will still be eligible for an extended warranty but that's not the case anymore. I bought Maxcare from Carmax just hoping that it would pay for anything major. It was a no pressure offer and I had made up my mind from day 1 that I wanted to go with Maxcare.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Awesome car and gratz! I would have been all over that car if I was looking. I'm jealous you'll get to drive it year round, I'm going through withdrawals in OH. What other options are on it?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good idea on the Maxcare. The 987.2's are pretty bullet proof, but there is no telling how that car was driven/maintained in those mystery 5,000 miles.

How much was the Carmax warranty? I've read they are a good aftermarket warranty.

Eddie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dirtyb, this has just leather seats and that is it. Of course the 19" wheels!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eddie - they had a few options for Porsche cars they sold. I bought the one with $100 deductible for $2899 which covers 75k miles or 60 months.
This is just an FYI - I called the Porsche dealer in Atlanta and inquired if they would entertain Maxcare and they said they have been dealing with those for close to 10 years now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always thought the factory warranty ran from the "in service" date whether it was a dealer demo, executive car or sold outright. I was not aware that by a dealer or executive using the car it would void the warranty and the car would only be covered by the two year CPO. Anybody know about this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I did not mean it had only two year CPO but the dealer said the factory warranty expired in 2014 itself and the car was sold as a CPO first time - may be with the rest of factory warranty.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
lowflier, my understanding of Porsche's CPO program is that the CPO warranty is for 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. I can't tell from your situation whether the CPO on your car is still in effect, but it's possible. See link below:

Porsche Approved Certified Limited Warranty - Porsche Approved - Pre-owned Cars - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Here's what that link says:

CPO Warranty coverage:

• Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty covers up to 6 years, or a cumulative 100,000 miles, from the original in-service date (whichever occurs first), if the vehicle is still under the new car limited warranty at the time of purchase.
  • For vehicles no longer under the new vehicle limited warranty at the time of used retail delivery, Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty coverage extends until the earlier of:
    • 2 years from the date of used retail delivery
    OR
    • 50,000 miles from the mileage at used retail delivery, but not to exceed a cumulative 100,000 total miles on the vehicle
You may want to check on whether your CPO coverage is still valid. CPO is a lot better than an extended warranty from a non-Porsche car dealer. No deductible, and it covers everything the original factory warranty covers.

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
1. When I stopped at a gas station to refill after about 350 miles, I could smell fuel in the cabin. I don't exactly remember if it was gas or oil. Do I have to worry about it ?
A fuel leak has the smell of raw gasoline and is unmistakable. It is also a very serious matter and can result in a fire. (I know this from experience unfortunately) On the other hand I would expect that what you smelled after a fairly long drive was offgassing of protectants on the surfaces of metal parts inside the engine compartment and nearby. You might read up on cosmoline at this link and feel better. http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/82760-burning-rubber-smell.html Great Car BTW!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, that makes me feel better! I smelled that only once and I have put almost 400 miles on it and never smelled it again - was keeping a close eye/nose :p
Anyways I am going to take my car for an inspection to know better about it. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Congrats, that really is a sweet machine. There are several websites dedicated to Cayman's, P9 is one of the best, its a mine of information. No one blasts newbies for asking 'dumb' questions, very civilized!

Another site you might want to try is Caymanregistery, its not as active as P9, but lots of good info. Recently CR had a link to original Cayman build sheets. Search for your VIN and it came up with all the options and prices that were ordered from the factory. I printed mine out and put it my C file. If that CR link is no longer available, you can get a copy of your build sheet from Porsche, but think you have to pay for it.

Machog

·
Registered
895 Posts
That direct link stopped working early last week. Porsche finally closed that back door after months and months after leavinf the front door open about as long.

Eddie

..Recently CR had a link to original Cayman build sheets. Search for your VIN and it came up with all the options and prices that were ordered from the factory...

Machog

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thank you, that makes me feel better! I smelled that only once and I have put almost 400 miles on it and never smelled it again - was keeping a close eye/nose :p
Anyways I am going to take my car for an inspection to know better about it. Will keep you guys posted.
Sounds like you may have stepped in some spilt fuel and carried the smell into the cabin with you. It has happened to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts