Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Attached are the final 2010 CaymanSpec regulations. We may need to make minor revisions throughout the year to fix problems, but do not expect any major revisions until 2011.

These regulations can be used to govern CaymanSpec racing in any sanctioning body that accepts the spec and recognizes the class.

Thank you to all who contributed and good luck to everyone in 2010.

Cheers,

CaymanSpec Racing
[email protected]

Edit 02.09.10 - Revised to adjust for lessons learned during build

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We received notice today that the POC Director of Motorsports is recommending to the Board of Directors that the 2010 CaymanSpec regulations are accepted as written.

We expect that this rule set will now be adopted and incorporated in the 2010 General Competition Regulations of the Porsche Owners Club.

It appears that the CaymanSpec will run head to head with the 996 spec in the existing R4 race class.

This is a great first step toward national recognition of CaymanSpec.

Cheers,

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
How is this progressing? How many cars will contest in 10? I imagine 996 spec is eating into the grid. I already have a Cayman but with less mods and less donor car initial expense and full grids (at least locally) it's hard to ignore the 996 series.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is this progressing? How many cars will contest in 10? I imagine 996 spec is eating into the grid. I already have a Cayman but with less mods and less donor car initial expense and full grids (at least locally) it's hard to ignore the 996 series.
Thank you for the post.

So far there is just the one car on track, but there are a number of folks who say they are considering a build. Who knows?

We are just a couple of months into the season with only one race weekend to expose the new car so it is probably too early to tell. I suspect it will take a year or so to get a good indication.

Yes, 996spec is probably pulling away some potential entrants, but this is OK as the more late model water-cooled cars on track the better. The 996 is less expensive to build, but about the same to run and the race performance of the Cayman should be better once we get it tuned.

The POC is being quite supportive and placed the car in a race group that should see it running close to the front by midyear. If this happens then I expect a pick up in momentum.

Oddly 996 spec is struggling here in SoCal as many of the cars what were initially built to spec have been modified further to run more competitively in the GT or GTS classes. This is one of the reasons we opened up the spec a bit to give folks a chance to tinker and tune without needing to abandon the class.

Time will tell.

Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts