Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I took my low mileage 2011 Cayman S 987.2 (10K miles) out of storage. I received a phone call and noticed my phone book (iphone 5) wouldn't completely download. A fews days later I lost my bluetooth connection, all navigation and maps, XM radio, and Ipod connection. System shows Ipod connected but when I go to "source" it's not there. When pushing the "source button" it only shows AM, FM, and Disc.

Now when I push the "phone" button it reads "TELEPHONE FUNCTION NOT AVAILABLE". When I push the "nav and map" button it reads "NAVIGATION NOT AVAILABLE".

I deleted the PCM from my iphone bluetooth settings hoping they would load back up. It no longer recognizes the PCM.

I've checked fuses and reset the PCM to factory settings. Also load tested my battery and it's fine.

It's as if all the above systems have powered down.

My software is V 2.20.

I searched the "net" and found Porsche owner's with similair issues but nobody seems to have a fix for these problems.

My independent shop doesn't have access to Piwis. Am I stuck going to the local dealer here in Portland, Oregon Sunset Porsche?

I have a Durametric but there is nothing in the software to access the PCM.

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Hi. I also live in the North-wet. How long and how dry for the storage? A simple thing you might try is getting the car hot and dry. Get the interior really dry. Certainly guessing on my part, but maybe moisture on a connector somewhere? Probably a long shot...but an inexpensive long shot.

Regards,

Curt

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I had a very similar problem, the only difference is that I would loose all of my presets, the radio was reset by the dealer and everything worked for a few days including Bluetooth, then the same issue, the radio was replaced all issues where resolved after that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi, did you have the PCM replaced and at what cost? I'm contemplating replacing the PCM 3.0 with an aftermarket unit.

I guess I'll take it to Sunset Porsche first and see what the have to say. The car is now out of warranty and I don't want to spend a ton of money having it replaced.

I've read posts about owners replacing the PCM 3.0 at about 1/2 the cost. It seems a trade off. All current apps are included in the replacement heads but losing communication with the information module above the steering column.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My car was stored in an overseas container during the winter. Car was dry but endured the up and down temperatures during the winter. I haven't been able to find any information where the other components (XM, amplifier, etc.) are located in the car.

If I could find out where the components are located I would then be able to check the connections.

I've read in other posts on earlier Caymans that the navigation unit was located in the frunk. Some had successfully got their Nav units working again by disconnecting and reconnecting the connections. Unfortunately I think the navigation is now part of the PCM 3.0 and stored on an internal hard drive.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Mine was not PCM 3.0, my bad radio worked fine for a short time after it was reset, maybe yours just needs to be reset, I know there is some kind of procedure for doing that but it would most likely have to be done at the dealer, I did have a warranty but not sure if it was going to be covered, I had found a radio at caymanpartsdirect.com for about 150$, my warranty did end up covering it, dealer said $1200 part + labor, no way would I spend that much on such a crappy radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My AM/FM radio and cd player work fine. It's the bluetooth phone, navigation, and ipod that have quit.

I guess I'll take it to the dealer and try to have it reset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I took the car into Sunset Porsche last week. They reloaded all the PCM software and everything came back on-line except the navigation. They tried several times to reload it but it wouldn't come up. Since this car has been in and out of storage over the years I had them install a new battery.

I suspect that since I was storing the car in an overseas container and the battery was constantly running down that it caused the issues with the PCM.

This winter I'll store the car in my garage and keep the battery hooked up to a maintainer.

I've become a firm believer of having a newer battery in our newer Porsches and always keeping them at full charge.

I also want to give a shoutout to Sunset Porsche as being a premier Porsche service center. They only charged me $166.00 dollars to bring my PCM back to life. The service manager was a super professional and nice person!

The service manager told me to bring the car back in anytime and they will attemp to reload the PCM software to see if they can get the nav working at n/c.

To me not having the nav software isn't a big deal because I'll just use my iPhone.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Glad the reset worked, I think the radio's they put in these car could be so much better, I must say my 987.2 radio is much better than the 987.1 that was in my first Cayman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.